“Okay hotel in Hong Kong”
Review of Kimberley Hotel

Kimberley Hotel
Ranked #224 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 15 August 2006

9  Thank Lets_go71

A TripAdvisor Member
Adelaide
Reviewed 18 July 2006

I stayed at the Kimberly in a triple share room with my two sisters and had a wonderful time at the Kimberly. The rooms were clean, no funny smells and fantastic value for money. The staff were fantastic, even though at the beggining we forgot we're supposed to tip in HK (i.e. bellboys). I would recommend it to anyone, the location was fantastic, walking distance from night market (15-20 min leisure stroll) and from the ferry as well. I will go back when i visit HK again.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 June 2006

Very helpful staff, lovely lobby and restaurants. Breakfast buffet is outstanding. Rooms are not large, but similar to European standards and are very clean. Maid service was efficient and thorough. Location is very good; close to Nathan Road and not far from the Jade Market, the Peninsula, the ferry, HK Museum. Walking in HK is a delight...the city is spotless. Be sure to go the HK side and take the outdoor escalator up the mountain. Victoria's Peak was a slight disappointment, although the view is beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank Flaesb
Reviewed 11 May 2006

Great Location and withing walking distance to Nathan Rd, Star Ferry and the MTR. Lots of shops and restaurants surrounding the hotel which were fantastic. Can not fault the location at all.

However the standard room I booked for my small daughter and I was like a shoe box and I was quite shocked. By looking at the photo's I should have requested or paid for a better room which appear to be larger. I had two single beds in my room and my daughters was pushed up hard against the wall. Mine was very close to the little chair and table in the room. There was practically no space to move/walk.

We could only stand our bags against the wall and when we needed something out of them, we had to put them on the beds to open them. There was no room to open them on the floor.

But the worst was the beds. They were as hard as wooden benches and I was shocked when I lay down how hard and rigid they were. I've stayed in other Kowloon hotels and have never had that before. But in the hotel directory it stated you could ring room service and they could supply extra mattresses for you and fit them. Which was funny. As housekeeping arrived, we had to leave the room and they could barely move to do it with our bags etc and the size of the room. The woman wasn't too happy doing it but by the way they answered the phone when I rang, I am pretty sure most people request them.

The Chinese restaurant downstairs is good, although very quiet. Prices are more expensive than what you can find outside the hotel. But we were very happy with the meal. Hotel staff at reception were friendly.

Basically if you are after a budget hotel and don't plan to spend much time in the hotel due to sightseeing etc, then this is a good choice. It is a reasonable price in a great location.
Personally I wouldn't stay there again as I simply found the rooms to be so small.

• Stayed: March 2004
10  Thank unami34
Reviewed 10 May 2006

The best thing about this hotel was the location. There were lots of good eating places around (not to mention KFC and Maccas - although Hong Kong Style) and easy access to transport. It is in the middle of a shopping district so it's very busy and can be quite noisy. Careful of the seedy salesmen waiting for you to step out of the hotel to try and flog you "copy watch" and "copy handbag". Just walk by without looking at them or talking to them! The rooms are EXTREMELY small but very clean and very comfortable. We found the bathroom quite big and there was bath salts, dressing gowns, slippers etc. etc. etc! The staff at reception and the concierge weren't overly friendly but overall we were very happy with out stay there

• Stayed: April 2006