“Convenience of Location makes this a great value hotel”

Metropark Hotel Mongkok
Ranked #35 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed here early February 2012 and was happy that it took just one Bus Ride (A21) to go from the airport to the hotel. Very near convenience stores, McDonalds and my favorite place --- a 24 hour dimsum restaurant just across the side entrance. About 3 mins away from the Prince Edward MTR (C1 exit i think) and you are all set. The room had free internet but no free WIFI which was ok. The rooms though looked dated circa 1980s and the bed was truly hard but it still was a good value considering the price and the location. Location means a lot as it made it easy for our family to go around and roam the city comfortably. Would go back again but better be ready for a stiff back.

Room Tip: Choose a business floor so it's much quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Metropark Hotel Mongkok

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Well, first off, bear in mind that the excellent rating I have given is relative to the price you will be paying. (unless inflation hits).

For such prices, you can hardly get a better hotel location and with such professional service staff. The rooms are a little small, that was the only shortcoming for me, but hey, when you are in a place like Hong Kong, where the city never sleeps (that's what they say), you don't really spend much time in your room anyway.

The rooms are definitely comfortable, cosy even though they are small.

The location, as I have mentioned, is pretty much unbeatable. You have lots of eateries nearby. including a great restaurant serving Dimsum buffet (Victoria Harbour restaurant - ask the reception). Mongkok shopping area is also just a 5min walk away.

Loved my stay at Metropark!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank enooh
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This trip was my second time in the hotel. First time (2009) I was with my wife; this time it was the two of us plus our 2-year-old son. We immensely enjoyed our stay at Metropark Mongkok both times.

The first thing that attracted us to Metropark was the location-- just across the street from Prince Edward MTR Station and in the heart of Mongkok. If you've been to HK before, you know how important it is to be in very close proximity to an MTR station. The hotel is located in a residential/commercial area of Mongkok, meaning most of the people you will see around are locals rather than tourists. Few restaurants have English-speaking staff and you will see none of the swanky/cosmopolitan feel of Hong Kong's central business district. Which suited our travel preferences perfectly since when we travel we want to feel the local colours. If you want to be pampered in 5-star luxury (with a tiki bar), I suggest you skip this hotel.

The rooms are fairly clean and the bathrooms are decent. Don't expect modern furnishings or swanky fixtures. Don't expect a room with a view either (see picture). We never tried the hotel restaurants since some of our favourite restaurants in HK (i.e., those with almost no English-speaking staff) are a stroll away. Again, recall that this is a budget hotel-- USD 100/night including taxes is pretty cheap by HK standards, especially considering its proximity to the MTR station-- so manage your expectations.

Now for the service. Many other reviews say service is terrible, but I beg to differ. Although there weren't much smiles or friendly banter to go around (as is commonly the case in HK, or Singapore for that matter), they were very accommodating. We arrived at 11 AM on a Saturday, and even if check-in was 2 PM they gave us a room. Ok, so we were lucky that rooms were available, but still they made an effort to check us in. Other requests-- e.g., for extra linen, or to heat leftover food-- were also promptly taken care of.

The clincher for us was when my 2-year-old son's finger got swollen due to an injury (not in the hotel, to be clear). We asked the hotel staff to help us locate a doctor-- on a Sunday afternoon. As soon as I relayed our request, first-aid staff went to our room to check on my son's finger and one of them said they will immediately look for an open clinic.They found a clinic and not only did they give us directions to the clinic, but staff even accompanied us to the clinic and made sure we knew our way back. The following day, the staff asked how my son's finger was doing every time they saw us in the lobby. Smiles were still a rarity, but the concern was there.

On this trip, the staff went beyond our expectations to help us out. In 2009 it was the location that brought us to the hotel, but it is the service this time around that will ensure we will come back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Xsaltire
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I would sum up the experience at this hotel= disappointing. Stayed for a nite on May 2012. Paid a rather high price for a 2 persons room.

The room is a miserable size. not much space to say, place ur many shopping bags......

The best part, the shower experience. Water is coming out in such small painful amount. Ouch.

The reception is manned by oh not so enthusiatic staff who make me feel that I am intruding on their time. I am giving business to a place who dun welcome me or rather want my money but don"t give value!!! I will not name the staff who served me here.

Staff not trained to give me a satisfactory experience or rather the management have already lost touch on the ground or simply do not care about how customers felt staying at their hotel.

Plus point of this hotel is close proximity to the Prince Edward MTR station.

Coming out of the side door towards the street be prepare to see dark alleys with men loitering around. Seems to be a seedy area.

Will I come back to this hotel again ? :(

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank pagodalover
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here 2 nights. Strategically located to MRT, a few mins walk. Find it rather expensive considering the fact many things (building/lobby/room) are outdated. Service and cleanliness are okay

Room Tip: Find a non smoking room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business