“Well-appointed Room”

Ranked #157 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Vancouver
“Well-appointed Room”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stay in this hotel for the first time for 7 nights. It is a spacious room with 2 beds and a sofa bed for our family 3 facing the garden side with schools and apartment blocks view. I believe we were upgraded. Room is clean but the drawers inside the closet are a bit small to put our clothing in for an extended stay. The down side of the hotel is its indifferent noisy tour groups from mainland China and $6 charge for each local call.The lobby is unbearably crowded and people are screaming to each other. On the non-smoking floors, smoking smell was there in some wings where the Chinese tour group was placed. We are fortunately located on the quiet side of the floor. Overall, our stay was very pleasant. There are many bus routes, eateries and laundromat close by. Will definitely stay there again,

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
RRH_10, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear Commentator: Thank you for elaborating so favorably about our renovated rooms! Yes, for a family of three, the drawers could be a bit more generous as they were conceived for a maximum of two persons per room.
The phone rates at our hotel, with USD 0.77 compare favorably compared with standards in Hong Kong. Mostly a minute costs more than one (1) US Dollar. If you have a SKYPE account, you can access two computers at the Regal Patisserie, free of charge, and you can talk as long as you wish.
Yes, at times when large groups check in, we deal with emotions of travelling people who may be subject to stress and behave oblivious to the fact that they share a hotel with others. We must be frank though; a hotel with 1,138 rooms, 10 restaurants and bars and 10 function rooms can be crowded at times. 3,500 guests and more per day are no rarity at Regal Riverside Hotel.
We are fully aware of the fact that some smokers are less considerate than others are and elect to violate non-smoking regulations. We are currently assessing to impose governmentally defined monetary fines on those who behave ignorantly towards non-smokers. After all, either guest category has no priority over the other.
With respect to those who prefer to handle personal laundry themselves, the hotel offers tokens for use at in-house Laundromats. Besides, we currently feature a 40% laundry discount promotion until end of August.
Bus and shuttle service is plentiful around the hotel, and two (2) MTR stations are within walking distance and one can be reached by complimentary hotel shuttle on a 20-minute rhythm.
Welcome back!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Initially I booked a different hotel that offers Bed & Bath at a very low cost– just what I need as we will be out the whole day, then I realized that after a tiring day it would be better if we can rest in comfortable place – with hotel amenities, after all I am with my family(2 adults, 3kids).

I booked this hotel because they offer family rooms and the rate is OK with all the amenities I need and space is bigger than most of the other hotels. I know that in-room wifi is not included in my rate so didn’t bother to ask for that, and that’s not one of the priorities at that time also if ever you would need one there’s free access at the lobby area – which I used on my last day just to communicate to the person who will pick us up from the airport.

I would say that the reviewers from this site and other hotel booking site has taught me a lot – prepared me on what to expect from this hotel. Example as are as follows:
1. Mouthwash – It was perfectly labeled that it cost HK$20 not misleading at all even if it is placed together with the toiletries provided by the hotel. If you think this is expensive there are 7-Eleven and other stores just around the corner.
2. Room Scent – I requested for a non-smoking room beforehand and made sure this is available as I am very particular to it. The room assigned to us was very nice including the view. I think this is one of the newly renovated rooms on the 10th floor. I have booked different hotels in HK before and even in their non-smoking floor it smells like cigarette smoke. This one has a very clean scent.
3. Location – I think the location was great, we we’re in the middle of all the places we planned to visit(Airport/Disneyland/Ngong Ping/ Citygate Outlets ) will take about 30-45mins. (Ocean Park/Victoria Peak) will take about 45mins-1hr depending on the traffic. Lots of options on public transportation which is also very efficient and easy to follow. We took the hotel shuttle to Disneyland & Airport and took Bus 170 directly to Ocean Park. Took MTR to Central on our way to Peak Tram. Very accessible – make sure you research you options beforehand just like what I did.
4. Concierge – Book your Airport Shuttle with them in advance as this is a first come first served service. Shuttle to MTR is also available – but if you can’t wait for the 20mins interval you can just take the taxi for only HK$20.
5. Booking – book directly if you can – they have more freebies if you do so. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to because of the initial booking I made with Agoda on the other hotel – and used the credits to book this hotel
Overall I had a really wonderful stay in this hotel – will definitely come back and stay here again, as I have said this is going to be my address in HK every time I visit. And will also recommend to friends, colleagues and family (one of my brother is now planning to go to HK and stay at this hotel).

Thanks to all hotel staff who made it a very pleasant vacation for me and my family. We appreciate the welcome fruits and the complementary birthday cake for my son. Thanks to to Tony Chan, Queenie for assisting us during check-in , Canattie & Edith during check-out , Doris for the tours/shuttle, Allen and Philip of concierge. To the housekeeping team for a quick response on our request for extra towels. And of course to Josef Halbherr – Thank you very much!
More power to all, Keep up the good job!!!

Room Tip: Sea View - nice and calming site.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rulem
RRH_10, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear Commentator: GREAT CAPTION! Thank you!
You really took time to narrate your experience in detail to the TripAdvisor community! Many will be grateful to you for sharing your insights!
Yes, Regal Riverside offers some family rooms on different floor levels. You asked the right questions IN ADVANCE and you got the right room for your requirements.
Your main criterion for the family trip seemed having been PRICE. Yes, we offer the options: Lower price – less amenities. When you book online on our company web – you are even entitled to FREE WIFI! Of course, you are always welcome to use the computers at Regal Patisserie with FREE INTERNET access.

We are very conscious about smoke-related odors on smoker floors and we do all we can to keep arduous non-smokers on smell-free floors. The 10th floor is possibly the best option for such expectation!

Yes, our location is good for trips to sightseeing locations all over Hong Kong. Transportation options are ample… public buses, MTR lines, taxis, hotel shuttles…

You are on the dot with RESERVING A SEAT for the free AIRPORT SHUTTLE. It is always better to do so than just taking a chance!

We treasure your comments on our friendly staff, the services you received, the amenities you took advantage of and the complimentary birthday cake for your 9-year old son! Canattie, Edith, Doris, Allan and Philip are all very valuable assets to the hotel and I passed your citations to our Human Resource Manager for recognition!
Although we did not meet in person – let me also thank you for your lovely compliments! Welcome back!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2012

For the past 3 years, I have stayed at this hotel every 6 months or so because its near my sister's place in Shatin. Never really had huge problems except this time.
Stayed at this hotel during May 12 -16. The nightmare starts on the 3rd day..at 6:00am HK time, an English speaking couple opened my room with their OWN ROOM CARD and walked inside my room.. while I was half naked sleeping!!!! Completely ridiculous! I was terrified as I'm a woman travelling solo. Called front desk maybe 10 times after that but no answered.. Then... no more than 15 minutes (yes at 6:15am), some lady from housekeeping knocked on my door and handed me down a packet of laundry detergent and said, "as per my request"??!! I looked at her like I was ready to kill someone.. then she looked at the room number and said, "oh.. wrong room number" and left!! Again, I tried calling front desk again but no answered.

An hour later, after I finished showering I went downstairs to the lobby to try to talk to someone. But no one was available as the Lobby was packed with tour groups. Couldn't talk to anyone so I went out with my friend and went back to the hotel at 5pm.. and to my surprise... MY ROOM CARD didn't work!!!! Went to the front desk this time and they said:" oh.. we were trying to contact you to explain what happened this morning but couldn't get a hold of you.. so we lock your room"!!!! After that I was ON FIRE!!! Some Assistant Front Manager came over and said they had a trainee who gave my room access to the English couple because they "say" they were assign the room BUT forgot to verify!!! (ie ask for photo ID).. are you kidding me?? that's completely unacceptable. As to the laundry detergent incident.. they couldn't come with an explanation for that. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MLO06
Dear Commentator: Thank you for your feedback! We investigated your comments and you are right. An inexperienced associate handled your check-in and bungled the proper procedure; the rest is consequence.
Things you experienced should simply not happen. We sincerely regret the events and offer our profound apologies.
When you come to Hong Kong next, write to me before and I will attempt to make up for it. Welcome back!

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My stay at Regal Riverside Hotel is really nice, I stayed there from May 16-19. I read most of the reviews before staying at this hotel so I knew what to expect about certain things such as to watch out for the noise, etc. But surprisingly it wasn't so bad! The repairs were done at reasonable hours, I wasn't woken up by noise at all. And anyway we leave the hotel and go out around Hongkong and by the time we come back there aren't any disturbances.

Hotel Transpo / Wifi - There's a hotel shuttle that picks you up from Airport to Hotel and vice versa; and a shuttle to take you to the nearest MTR, or all the way to Disneyland! So it's pretty convenient. Wifi is not free in the rooms, but there's free wifi in the lobby; just ask the concierge for a password.

Location - Okay, it's not the closest to the city. But I'm more of a suburbs person so while I do like to go around the bustling city, I like to go home to quite a relaxing place, and Sha Tin is the sort of place that feels really comfortable, with a lot of open spaces and parks; it's where you can breathe. Anyway we just take the MTR; it's really convenient. We never took the taxi or city bus at all. We even went on a day trip to Macau coming from Sha Tin.

Room - We got a room at the 12th floor, facing the river! The room is spacious, clean, with elegant interiors, and the bathroom is clean as well. The bed is comfortable enough. We have an amazing view, facing the river, very nice and relaxing. It's a big change from the view of narrow buildings from the city. There's a park there by the river where you can go jogging if you want.

Nearest Shops - I know that there's a nearby shopping mall there but my boyfriend and I sometimes go to Home Square / Ikea to have lunch, it's just a short shuttle ride away from the hotel. There's free wifi at the ground floor of Home Square! There's cool stuff there if you're into furniture or novelty items. If we really want to go shopping for other things we just go take the MTR to go to Causeway Bay and other stations.

I definitely would recommend this place to couples especially :) I would probably go back here again.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a higher floor and facing the river!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Commentator: What a nice caption – Thank you!
Your assessment of the hotel and its location is very objective. The TripAdvisor community seems to have an ever-increasing acuity on consumer decisions! Yes, reading consumer comments provides insight, good judgment and reduces surprises.
You took advantage of free airport trips and free WIFI at the lobby level! If you had booked online on the Regal website, you could have also benefitted from FREE WIFI IN YOUR ROOM!
Yes, Shatin is NOT THE CITY CENTER OF HONG KONG. It is, however, greener and cooler than downtown, with surprisingly open spaces, the wide Shing Mun River an inlet from Tolo Harbor, many green parks and forested hills.
Going to Macau from Shatin is a breeze! You can take a bus from the corner of the hotel directly to the Ferry Terminal. It is so easy!
Any individual traveler should best stay on the upper floors as of the 10th floor. They are renovated, more comfortable and quieter. River view rooms are more pleasant at any time of your stay. They offer an overview over life on the river… the early morning egrets and eagles, the rowers training for the next race, the sampan, the cyclists and joggers on the tracks along the river… even the reflections of the twinkling lights from the high rises nearby at night!
Yes, IKEA with all of its typical standards is relatively close to the hotel, Shatin Mall and New Town Plaza are located just across the pedestrian bridge… The MTR station with top connections is part of the mall complex; you can go to Central, to Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, and the airport or even to Shenzen in the Mainland.
You mention that you would recommend the hotel for couples – yes, it depends what you are looking for; certain rooms from the 15th to the 17th floor feature some inspiring mirror configurations. When you come back, you may just specifically ask for them. Welcome back!
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

Just checked in the hotel last nite for 5 nites so far the experience had not been present. Room temp. Thermostat was not working properly and kept at 19c although adjusted to 22 a few times. Too cold for toddler travelling with us. Cleaning staffs were a bit noisy outside the hall way. As well we can start hearing renovation noise on above floor at 10, 10:30am and it is still going as we speak. The on duty mgr agreed to switch room for us this morning so hopefully the rest of the 4 other nite experience will be better.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Commentator: Thank you for your feedback! We fully appreciate that especially for toddlers the appropriate room temperature plays a huge role; you made the right decision when you asked immediately for a room change! As much as we strive for a balanced air-con output, we may not always fully succeed.
We reiterated your point covering maid-chatter in the guestroom corridor and our Executive Housekeeper assured us that the case related to non-permanent housekeeping staff whom we henceforth will brief especially on this important aspect of consumer expectations.
Welcome back!