“Unfriendly staff and poor services.”

Regal Hongkong Hotel
Ranked #125 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Unfriendly staff and poor services.”
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

I believe thar Hotel industry is a services industry, although this us needless to say but I have doubt that Regal Hotel understand this. Despite the recent and on-going refurbishment of the hotel the service is rather disappointing. First of all, the lady that helped to check us in showed us with very unpleasant face as seems we are unwelcomed, there was no single gesture, facial expression or even word of welcome. As we arrived early around 1230pm, the lady told us that the check in time is 2pm and we have to come back at 2pm to check in, she gave us a note with hotel room number and informed us that when we're back at 2pm we can just show it to the front desk again to get the room key. So I came back at 2pm sharp and had to queue at the front desk again and passed the note to the front desk after 20mins queue and the person who attended us (another person, next to the lady who attended us earlier) said that it was a wrong room assigned and gave us a different room (not the one given by the lady earlier) which is at lower floor.
The front desk also seemed as sales desk to me as we are checking in the people kept selling us extra services which of course needs money - wifi or LAN cable in room (was very surprised the hotel room doesn't even have LAN cable, in which era are we in? Moreover in such developed country like HK?), you need to pay HKD170 per day for Internet, breakfast, room up grade and etc. I was just thinking if the front desk are trained to welcome the guest by selling more and more they could. If you have better room that vacant and no one is taking it up, either you offer it free to hotel guest or just don't mention it. I don't think we need to know how much to upgrade to each room type as we could check it online.
The worst happened during my last morning that I checked out (8am), the bell boy informed us that the shuttle bus to HK station is on 20mins interval, and the shuttle bus to airport only arrives in an hour. So we opted for the bus to HK station and transfer to airport express train. To my very disappointment, we waited for 40mins and there wasn't any bus!! I think the hotel should aware that hotel guests are in need to arrive at the airport on time and missing flight is the worst to happen for any traveller.
After 40mins (I was kind enough to gave them double of the time interval promised) and I went to the bell boy and asked is he aware that the bus is coming soon? He just replied with very rude face"I don't know".

• Stayed May 2012
RegalHongkongHotel, General Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments about your experience staying with us recently. I am very sorry to learn that you were not made to feel welcome on arrival and I have taken this up with the department concerned to ensure we deal with this issue. Upselling at the desk is simply a way of offering guests some additional services that they may not have been aware of. Many people do not make their own bookings and we find guests generally respond positively to this. Then there is a LAN cable in every room at the writing desk and we provide both WIFI and hard wired options. We are working on installing a new system that will allow us to change our pricing system. If you book through our Web Site, then you are entitled to free internet. Then I am very sorry about the shuttle bus service to the station that is provided by the MTR and not ourselves. Usually they are pretty regular but we cannot control the frequency of this service. I have asked the Concierge to monitor this service carefully and report any shortcomings.
I would like to apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay with us. Should you be returning to Hong Kong again soon, please do let me know so we can make some the arrangements for you.

Regal Hongkong
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed 2 nights during April 2012 at the Regal Hong Kong on a stop over in Hong Kong.
We were overall pleased with all aspects of this hotel during our stay.
We made use of the complimentary shuttle bus (contact the hotel in advance) from the airport which picks you up from the Airport Regal hotel after obtaining tickets from the regal counter in the arrivals hall at the airport.
We had booked an executive room (at a great price on an early booking deal online), therefore had our own executive checkin / reception floor with extremely helpful staff who delivered a more personalised level of service (were extremely helpful with sightseeing ideas and directions).
Our booking also included each night, complimentary drinks and snacks within the executive lounge and a full buffet breakfast in the cafe rivoli (was fantastic, there is even a chef on the buffet bar to make your eggs how you like including custom omeletes!).
Our room was very large and luxurious, beautifully decorated and clean. The mini bar also included a personal coffee machine free of charge.

The only slight down point I could mention would be there was a slight smell of cigartette smoke in our room although we requested a non smoking room, however for us was not serious enough for complaint.

Thanks Regal Hong Kong for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ezz1_12
RegalHongkongHotel, General Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you had a good experience and this will be a great encouragement to our associates. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Hong Kong.

Philippines
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Requested for a change of room bec. initial room had dirty carpet (1516). Next room (1806) was a renovated one, a bit modernized. Very spacious with 2 beds w/c you can push together, bigger than a king bed. Beds and pillows were soft. With tub and separate shower plus toiletries. With safe, coffee&tea, desk. Views are of buildings, Victoria Park and harbor.

Cleanliness wasn't up to standard. Hairs on both shower and tub. AC was kinda loud. No help from bellboys to get taxi and to load bags into taxi.

Convenient location.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
RegalHongkongHotel, General Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Madam

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I have taken up your comments with the Housekeeping team regarding the carpet in the room you were initially allocated. We do have a program of carpet shampooing and they are also regularly vacuumed to keep them in good condition. We will also work harder to raise the standard of cleaning. I am sorry that you did not get any help from the bell boys to get a taxi and load your luggage. As a general rule they are doing this but sometimes they can be occupied on the floors with baggage collection and delivery. But we will certainly focus on assisting our guests in this area. Please accept my apologies for these shortcomings and we will do our best to make the improvements.

I do hope you will give us the chance to welcome you back again on your next trip.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Stayed fo four days at the Regal Hong Kong wile in town for business. Overall i was happy with the experience I had. The room was ok, it was kept clean and made up in good time daily. I had no problems with reception staff and most of the other people at the hotel. The only place I did have difficulties was the restaurant on the first floor that is used for breakfast. Staff here were not very nice, verging on the rude especially when seeking a signature for the breakfast docket.

The gym was good with very few people using it, so it was easy to get on machines. Also it is open 24 hours, useful if your body clock is out of whack.

It is well located in Causeway Bay, close to retail options. It is also close to the MTR, as well as on the tram line.

So apart from a couple of sour staff it was overall an OK experience.

Room Tip: Try for a room higher up facing the harbor.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kiwi_acct
RegalHongkongHotel, General Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Sir

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay with us but I did note your experience in Café Rivoli where you took breakfast. I have taken this up with the team accordingly as it is our priority to be polite and helpful to our guests at all times. Please accept my apologies for this but be assured we will work on improving this part of our service.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Best regards

tsgbhalf
Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

Service was inconsistent. Some excellent (Bono, the bellman is unbelievably good), some average. Checkout process seems slow. Not a lobby type hotel with chairs, couches etc. Fitness center was dirty. My room was quite clean. Meeting rooms were clean and well serviced. Meeting room food was good.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank tsgbhalf
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us and I am sorry that there was a lack of consistency in our services. Your compliments on Bono are well received and will be passed on to him to further encourage him and his colleagues. We are also working on improving the check out service which can be a little slow if a lot of people use it at the same time. Then I have taken up the cleanliness of the Fitness Centre with the team that looks after it to ensure they keep the machines in good order at all times. The carpet is shampooed on a regular basis but we will take special note of your comment.

Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced and we will work harder to become more consistent in our service delivery.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Hong Kong.