“The Golden Circle is the way to go” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong

Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #14 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Vancouver, Canada
“The Golden Circle is the way to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I had a one night layover in Hong Kong due to bad weather, and everywhere else was booked solid, especially the hotels near the airport. Very helpful staff, and when I landed in Hong Kong without a room, they honored my golden circle membership and gave me a room at standard rate. Greeted me when I arrived and everything. Staff had great attitudes and very kind. I will be going back there when I have more time. Thanks to Daisy and her staff that took me to my room, I forgot her name, but very helpful. Also the shangri-la concierge at the airport, Sunny and Ashley, were great with getting me a room on such short notice. I recommend everyone to get golden circle membership, because in situations like this, its awesome to have a guaranteed room available within 24 hours. When flights are delayed in Hong Kong, hotels seem to get taken up quickly and then they sell their remaining rooms off for ridiculous prices of $1500 - $2000. When it would normally be a $250 room. Thanks Shangri-la Kowloon.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view it is nice view of the water and all the buildings across the water.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Alexander M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We always stay in a Shangri-la Hotel when in Asia.
There is always a beautiful smell when you walk into any of their hotels - we're so used to it now, it like coming home!
Staff can't do enough to please.
If you haven't tried a Shangri-la - do it. Their resort in the Maldives is definitely worth a trip (if you are looking to get away from it all).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank GBK6
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

The best i can remember about this hotel is the bed.... The mattress is extremely comfortable and i cant bear to leave the bed to work.
The location is good with MTR just 2 min walk from hotel lobby. Shopping, food, pubs are within 10- 15 min walking distance (can be quite tiring though and end up taking a cab).
My room is surprisingly without a bathtub!! My other colleagues have bathtub in their room!!
I wonder why they have different standards for rooms of the same price!!
Service isn't exceptionally great.... just very average which is considered "bad" for a luxury hotel.
Will definitely not stay there again, cos i believe for that price, there must be better choices in Hongkong!

Room Tip: Make sure u ask for a room with bathtub if you are someone who love to soak in the water after a lon...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank cpshane23
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed here for two days on business. I had requested a king size room when I made my reservation however when I got there at 1am in the morning they said I could only have a double bed and there were no Kings available. Eventually they relented and upgraded me at no extra cost. Apart from that service was excellent. It is a little expensive though.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Columbus1958
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at the Shangri La Kowloon, last May on our way back from Borneo. Having just spent 2 weeks in the SL Rasa Ria and experiencing the most wonderful staff and service, we felt a little let down by the lack of personal service here in Kowloon. Yes, we have also stayed 3 times at the SL Bangkok (fabulous), both in the ordinary and Krum Thep Wing, so can't just put it down to it being a City Hotel! The view from our room was spectacular and like a previous reviewer, never closed the curtains as you could never tire of the view across the harbour. You do need to upgrade to a deluxe harbour view, it is really worth it. We were also expecting to be able to see the laser show, but it is best if you take the 10 minute walk down to the star ferry, plus it's a good atmosphere there. Our room was big and very comfortable and the bathroom was a decent size and adequate. The lobby and lounge areas are nice but our biggest disappointment was with the service in the main restaurant (where you take breakfast) on our first night. We were looking forward to good food and service and felt very let down as it was very busy with a lot of business/local people, and the maitre d' and other waiting staff seemed more interested in them, spending quite a time chatting to them. We waited ages to get served and then they brought my husbands food before mine, and after 5 minutes had to ask where my food was? It continued like this so we didn't bother stopping for a dessert or coffee and went out! The breakfast selection, however, served in this restaurant is excellent, you couldn't wish for anything more, but again we had to keep asking for tea/coffee! The hotel is in a very good location, and we would still prefer to stay in Kowloon rather than on the Island as the view across the harbour is, I believe, better. You can get on the Star Ferry so easily to the Island, and it only takes about 10 minutes to get across. You must go up to the Peak if the weather is clear and again the views from the top are spectacular. We also visited Lantau Island and did the cable car and visited the famous Buddah - well worth the journey by MTR. This was our first trip to HK and we absolutely loved it, the whole place is a real wow factor. Not sure if we would stay at this SL again though?

Room Tip: Defnitely book a high floor room looking out across the harbour - spectacular view!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple