“Well worth the venture inside, further than the bar!”
Review of La Piola - CLOSED

La Piola
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Reviewed 15 September 2012

After many a pleasant Friday night spent at the outside bar of La Piola, we decided to move no further for dinner, but rather go upstairs for a change. It didn't disappoint!
La Piola is legendary for their Spritz, their extensive wine by the glass offer and for the fantastic munchies served on a complimentary basis with evening drinks.
We discovered superb Piedmont food, bringing back a weekend trip to that region that we had before moving to Hong Kong. Between us we shared the vitello tonnato, the 'fassone' - an exceptional chopped raw beef filet and the grilled scamorza which were served with, and brought smiles all round. We were less adventurous with our mains, and were again not disappointed by the purple potato gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce and 2 of us were very happy with the pasta served with mozzarella, tomato and basil. Something new to us, as the pasta was hot whilst the other ingredients cold. Loved it.
Only 1 of us could manage dessert and gave the pannacotta a whirl.
Overall, we enjoyed the food, had some great wine and will certainly be back to try the meat items on the menu that we skipped this time.

1  Thank hongkongmui888
There are newer reviews for La Piola

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Given it's lofty reputation and our love of Italian food (my wife is Italian) a trip to La Piola was long overdue and we were not disappointed. I can't say if it's authentic Piemontese food but I can say it was a real treat in taste, variety, service, ambiance and frankly given how expensive HK is, it was very reasonable.
Strongly recommend the Antipasto misto which is 3 cold and 3 warm dishes - there is a lot there for 2 people. We had beef carpaccio, thin veal with a layer of sauce, anchovies, baked peppers, a wonderful warm, cheese mousse. A fabulous taste experience. I then had the tajarin with rabbit ragout which was beautifully cooked pasta and plenty of meat. My wife's pasta with tomato, mozzarella and basil with light oil dressing was fine but hard to go too far wrong with this staple.
The service was attentive and charming. The seating is spacious and elegant but not stuffy. The wine list is excellent and not expensive (again relative to HK). We had a glass of Gavi each which was good and an Antinori which again was great and complemented the pasta dishes.
HK$1100 for 2 courses, 3 glasses of wine and water for 2 people and at this quality is fantastic. There is so much more we want to explore on their menu. If you want a change from the predictable Italians try this one - it's not the same.

2  Thank Dave M
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Dishes traditionally crafted with care, flavors and textures spot-on. Eat here and be prepared for a delicious meal. Being a trained chef with lots of experience with Italian cuisine, I can say La Piola was not only authentic and well made Italian, but such a pleasant experience we hope to eat there again before we leave. Delicious.

1  Thank steereb
Reviewed 14 August 2012

So, I usually like to give the reviews I read on TripAdvisor, the benefit of the doubt. But I have now come to realize that I should always apply the Bell Curve rule to many of these enthusiastic write-ups. The space is great -- which is a real plus for the crowd-weary in Hong Kong. However, the food is not. The ravioli we ordered was dry and tasted like it was made a week prior and simply put in the freezer for re-boil for guests. Did they hand make it? Likely yes. But the question is... when? It was also one of the most expensive items on the menu. So, not only was there a true opportunity cost for me -- as I could've enjoyed a meal somewhere else; but the price was the salt in my wound. I've had truly exceptional Italian food (just not yet in Hong Kong). Does this sound harsh? Probably. But, either La Piola revisits its menu and give patrons a consistently high-end experience... or you'll likely read more reviews like mine. I had to share because I'm just so surprised by all the enthusiasm for this place. Makes me wonder if I even ate at the same restaurant.

8  Thank Angie L
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We have been to La Piola endless times and we go quite often. The menu presents some staples of Italian cuisine as well as some regional dishes that you don't find in your usual Italian restaurant abroad. Food is amazing and the service is impeccable. Try the Parma ham with the burrata, authentic, fresh and gorgeous. They have some home made pasta to die for and a great selection of wines. The menu is quite extensive and features fine dishes.
One of us is Italian, born and bred, and the food at La Piola is just like home.
Plus: they do a perfect "aperitivo" in the evenings with canapes. Perfect after a long day.

4  Thank Tilena T