“Read the Terrible Reviews first. Poor Customer Service. Suit Didn't Arrive In Time.”
Review of Sam's Tailor

Sam's Tailor
Ranked #5 of 392 Shopping in Hong Kong
Reviewed 10 March 2017

Note: I have all the documents, emails and phone logs saved as reference, in case you would like to know more. This is the first time I'm writing a terrible review on TripAdvisor, so I want to make sure that everyone who reads this understands where I'm coming from, and why I strongly believe that going to this establishment is a huge mistake.

I had an overseas function to attend this coming weekend, so I went around looking for a rush suit order in the TST area. last Saturday The better-ranked shops gave me caveats about my expectations. Maybe I should have just listened to them and bought an off-the-rack suit.

Instead, I decided to push my luck and try Sam's. They do a good job of maintaining an act of professionalism and customer service in the store. Unfortunately, that's where it stops. I explained my predicament to the consultant assigned to me, and was told that they would ship my order on Tuesday, via DHL (I'm not based in HK), and that it would reach me by Friday. I asked about duties and was told there wouldn't be any. If you read the terrible reviews here, however, you'd see that there are indeed issues with duties, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Maybe that should have triggered warning bells, but I paid no heed. I paid for the suits, and went back for another fitting later in the day. I then hoped they'd contact me on Tuesday about my order.

Tuesday came, and I heard nothing from them. I sent an email on Wednesday. No response. I called them up on Thursday asking if I should expect my suit, or if I should just buy a ready-made one, since I had no idea what happened to my suit. The lady who answered said my consultant was on leave and that they couldn't find my order. I asked for a tracking number. They said they would call me back. They never did. So, I called back a second time. I was told they had asked HK Post for it, but couldn't find it. Why were they looking for it in HK Post, when I was told that it would be shipped via DHL, and there would be no duties if it was shipped via DHL? Did they really ship it via HK Post? Read the other terrible reviews. They are accusing one of the reviewers of not paying the duties, which is why the items were not received.

Finally got an e-mail after I called to tell me that "the boss was looking into it" and that they would advise as soon as they get the info. It's now 11PM on Friday. No word from Sam's.

Save yourself the stress, and most especially the hassle of asking for a credit card charge back, and go somewhere else.

2  Thank RomeoLJ
Taghioff, Public Relations Manager at Sam's Tailor, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2017

Dear Sir

We apologise for the inconvenience, but we are not in a position to pay the customs duties on your shipment. It is not our policy to pay the customs duties on shipments.

This is normal practice for almost all goods bought and sold and shipped internationally: Customs duties vary by country, and so are most often not built into the list price, and so most often are the responsibility of the receiver. This is therefore the normal expectation.

We have consulted with the team, and we certainly did not inform you otherwise. I am sorry if your expectations were not in line with this, but the norm is pretty clear as far as we can see.

Since you effectively entered into a dispute with your government by not paying the duties they require, your shipment was stopped. We cannot alter this dispute, as we are not party to it.

I do hope you manage to settle this matter, and receive the goods we made for you and couriered to you as per the agreed schedule. We are sorry to hear that your dispute prevented the goods from reaching you on time.

Warm Regards

Sam's Tailor

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sam's Tailor

Reviewed 9 March 2017

Further to my April 2014 review of this establishment, I returned in 2015, 2016 and more recently in February 2017. In addition of my three piece suit, my two piece linen suit, my two sport jackets and four shirts, this time I asked Roshan and his team to make me a pair of linen pants to go with my sport jackets and four new shirts. His sense of style and design never cease to amaze me. I am extremely satisfied of the work he did for me over these years. I am proud of my Sam's Tailor garments. I do not hesitate to recommend a visit if your are ever in Hong Kong. You will be harassed on Nathan Road to visit other tailor shops but to me I have found quality at Sam's and I have no desire to shop somewhere else.

3  Thank Brockcruz
Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

A very pleasant experience. I love my new suit. Great service, easy to find. I'm not a beer drinker, but if was I would have been drunk by the amount of times they kept offering me it while I was getting measured and fitted. Really pretty funny they always made sure I had heaps of water to drink. They service I will say again was excellent and my suit is beautiful. There are lots of people on the street touting for business, but not Sams, that tells you something. Thanks Sams

1  Thank vid2uvid2u
Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

I have purchased 9 suits from Roshan with the service and quality always exceeding expectations. The last 3 suits, Roshan was able to make some modifications over the phone after a few measurement changes and ship to me in the US. Suits were perfect and delivered in only a few days.

1  Thank Merrick M
Reviewed 7 March 2017

I have at least three suits, a jacket, a few pair of pants and a shirt from Sam's Tailor in my wardrobe. I bought them one or two at a time, when travelling to Hong Kong, and I love them all. They have become my favorite clothes for business and travel, as they endure well the torments of long flights. Last time I visited, I promised Roshan to do a review, and it has been about a year now. As I prepare to fly back to Asia, I am better to make good on my promise. ;-)
Especially since I will be wearing one of my suits... and maybe buying a new one. Thanks, Roshan!

3  Thank lasares