“Sam's is the best!”

California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Sam's is the best!”
Reviewed 1 January 2015

A trip to Hong Kong is not complete without stopping at Sam's -- I've been going for more than 10 years, have been to Sam's more than 20 times, and I love the place! Sam and Roshan have a great eye for recommending the right material and right styles.

And their customer service is top notch: recently after a visit a shirt was not done correctly -- one of the cuffs was reversed -- without asking for a return or any "proof", Roshan had a new shirt sent to me within the week. I live in California!

If you've not been to Sam's before, go! If you've been before but it's been awhile, return!

Visited November 2014
1 Thank us_LN
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Paris
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Possibly the worst retail experience of my life”
Reviewed 1 January 2015 via mobile

Hearing all the rave reviews and publicity, I purchased two ladies suits from Sam the Tailor. Terrible mistake. I cannot counsel people strongly enough to STAY AWAY as whilst they may serve famous people and royalty well, they CHEAT THE AVERAGE CUSTOMER on both quality of fabric and workmanship. Briefly my experience:
- I selected two fabrics for the suits, providing a model suit to be replicated and asking for a short turnaround of 2-3 days which seemed fine
- When picking up the suits, I had some concerns about the flimsiness of the closings on the suit and also the material being thin but was reassured it was fine and that it was just being a new suit that it seemed strange - so took my suits back overseas with me.
- A few weeks in is when the problems started - the buttons and closings started to fall off whilst the material sat poorly, crinkled easily and didn't breath at all. An 8 hour day in the suit was torture
- I wrote to Sam the tailor to explain my issues with the suit. They said it wasn't their problem anymore, I should have checked before leaving their store (which I did but was reassured it was fine). After several emails they told me to pay myself for shipping (back to Hong Kong from Australia) and they would see what could be done...maybe...no guarantees.

Two terrible suits, several emails later and with no further response but to pay for shipping and no guaranteed response I've decided to give up. However to other people I would say BUYERS BEWARE, stay away from Sam the tailor. If you are not famous or important, then you risk being ripped off. Try Roger concept or Jantzen tailor for real value.

6 Thank JTravellerSydLon
Taghioff, Public Relations Manager at Sam's Tailor, responded to this review, 2 January 2015
Dear Madam

We are sorry to hear that you have had problems with your suits. We offer you a full refund, including postage, on return of the suits. Whilst we have record of taking your order, and following the cutting patterns which you brought to store as well as your choice of materials, we have no record of the telephone or email exchanges you describe, though we apologise for your bad experience.

Please do contact us via our website, and arrange for return of the suits and leave details for processing a refund.

Yours faithfully

Sam's Tailor
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Arrogant and Rude”
Reviewed 31 December 2014

I walked into Sam's Tailor to get some price and fabric information. Don't know his name, but one of the guys in the store asked me what I wanted. As soon as I asked him details about the fabrics, and various prices, he was very arrogant and rude about it as if I didn't know anything. It also seemed as if because he knew I was still shopping around, he didn't want my business.

If you read their responses to other bad reviews, you'll see the arrogance and rudeness I'm talking about.

Visited December 2014
Taghioff, Public Relations Manager at Sam's Tailor, responded to this review, 1 January 2015
Dear Sir

We are sorry to hear that you felt offended by the way our staff met your request to explain our fabrics and pricings to you. We did not mean to make you feel like you did not know about fabrics and pricings, we are sorry if that is the impression we gave.

We understand that customers are sometimes shopping around, and also sometimes want us to provide information to help them to do so. If we were too brisk with you, that is probably because we had other customers that we needed to take care of, but nonetheless we aim to extend the utmost courtesy to all our current and potential customers, so we apologise wholeheartedly.

We do hope that you return to our store and try some of our products and services, you may then have a chance to form a different impression of our service experience. As you can see from our reviews, our customers are generally extremely pleased with the service they receive.

If you want to give specific feedback to the member of staff who dealt with you, we would be more than happy to hear your comments, ideally in person, in the store. So we do, indeed, hope that we can look forward to seeing you again.

Warm regards

Sam's Tailors
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Shopping Experience, Would Recommend to Others”
Reviewed 29 December 2014

I was very pleased with the process and results of purchasing my bespoke garments at Sam's Tailor in Hong Kong. After researching tailors in Hong Kong, I chose Sam's based on numerous recent positive reviews. Three weeks prior my trip, I made an appointment to meet with Roshan on my first day in Hong Kong. I had one suit, four sport coats, three trousers and a dozen shirts made to be shipped home. I was measured in the morning and returned in the afternoon for a fitting of the suit and to try on a completed shirt. Only minor modifications had to be made. I also brought with me measurements for two suits to be made for two young men. The measurements for the suits were made using the fitting form provided on the Sam's Tailor web site. Roshan guided me through the process of measuring, fabric/lining/button selection, and made very helpful recommendations on how each piece could be made to my specifications. I never realized how many choices one has to make when buying custom clothing. Knowing what your options are, and what you would like to have in your garments in advance of the appointment, is critical to an efficient buying experience. My completed items were shipped to me with no problems and and everything fit beautifully and was constructed to the highest standards. Based on my experience and priced paid, I would shop there again.

Visited December 2014
1 Thank 773MarkH
UK
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Nobody's perfect”
Reviewed 29 December 2014

I bought my first suit from Sam's Tailor in 1967. Since then my visits to Hong Kong have been spasmodic but over the years I have had a number of suits, shirts and waistcoats made here. There have been occasional problems - usually because I've been unable to give Sam's the time they need to do their job properly - but I've always been satisfied with the value. Incidentally, if you really believe any tailor, anywhere can deliver a perfect suit in 24 hours then frankly you're dreaming.

But the measure of any company in any business isn't just the things they get right - you should expect that - but in the way they put things right when they go wrong. I've had waistcoats that weren't ready when promised - but that were then sent by taxi that evening at Sam's expense to my family's address in the New Territories; when one trip to Hong Kong coincided with the Chinese New Year, Sam's still managed to give me two fittings for a suit and have the completed article delivered to a colleague to bring over to UK.

I've also had shirts made in South Korea - quality and fabric were good but when I came to pay on collection the price increased due to the "extra" fabric required to fit me (I'm not a small man). That's not fair.

I don't think Sam's has ever claimed to be the cheapest tailor in Hong Kong - if you want the cheapest you'll also get the cheapest product - but they are straight-dealing and good value. I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Visited August 2014