“You get what you pay for”

Australian Guesthouse
Ranked #74 of 264 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The four nights that we stayed at the place were not particularly recreative. Hong Kong is an expensive place to stay, so for the beginning of our Southeast Asia trip we decided to save some money.
You basically get what you pay for: A very basic and small room with very small and hard beds. No space to leave your suitcase open, you always have to close it and shove it under the bed. The bathroom is a shower cabin with a toilet seat and a sink in it. The room was very clean and tidy. Unfortunately some cooking smell regularly flooded our room in the evening.
Staff was helpful - we reported a broken soap dispenser in the morning and it was fixed when we returned in the afternoon.
The best thing about the place is the location. Chungking Mansion is perfectly located in the heart of Kowloon, Metro is just across the street. Star Ferry is just a few minutes away by foot. Also, within Chungking Mansion, the Australian Guesthouse has the advantage of being located on the top floor, so the elevator is always vacant. On other floors one can have the problem that the elevator (there is only one) is full already.
Next time I go to Hong Kong I will probably go for a more expensive room where I can at least relax properly.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

location
the rooms are newly renovated
clean
Microwave and kettle are available

The access through the stinking stairwell was uncomfortable
small rooms

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yus1
Reviewed 25 January 2012

After reading many bad reviews about properties in the Chunking Mansions I was nervous to book one for myself. But I was on a tight budget and had no other choice. The hosts were excellent, and couldn't do enough to help!

In Chunking Mansions there are quite a few blocks which have guest houses in them. Being in 'D' block is good, because there are less guesthouses, and you don't have to wait long for the elevator. However in blocks 'A' & 'B' there are always long lines to wait before you can get the elevator.

My room was small as expected, but spotlessly clean, small bathroom with own water heater, toilet and basin. Everything was well cleaned on a daily basis. There was also an air-conditioner, phone, LCD TV, fridge and free WiFi which worked well. You were allowed to make free local calls with the phone, or call reception whenever you needed something. There is also a computer in the hallway which can be used.

I met some nice people also and shared travel tips etc. You can also pay in almost any currency, as well as credit card which is a bonus. This was my second stay and I'll be back for sure. If you want a small, clean, budget room with no hassles, this is for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window, the same people also own Tokyo hostel which is equally as good.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank renegado_12
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed here in September with my daughter for 5 days.The room was spotless and the location excellent.Didn't have to wait long for the lifts as you do in other parts of the building and felt safe the whole time.The owner and staff are very friendly and always willing to help us out anyway they could.Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank tiz71
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This "hostel" (should be renamed "hostile") was the worst I ever stayed in: First Agoda ripped me off by misrepresenting the price, so I paid double for this hostel and Agoda refused to help me when I immediately called their customer service (getting in touch with them is hard enough because Agoda does not make it easy to contact them), who barely spoke English (better book with Expedia, Hotels.com or ebookers). I suggest you do not book with Agoda because they are not there to help you but to happily collect and offer no representable customer service.

When I reluctantly arrived at this "guesthouse", thinking that with the price I paid it might still be a nice place, I found you first have to go through a very dogdy building, with many vendors and hawkers doing shady business and harrassing you, to stand in line for a rickity, little, smelly elevator. When we finally arrived at the hostel (stood in line at the elevator for over half an hour), there were three Indian guys waiting for us. I didn't dare to complain when I laid my eyes on the smallest, dirtiest little room I've ever seen. I don't think anything is ever changed except for possibly a sheet: lying under those blankets, brrrrr. We could hardly fit our bags. The bathroom is tiny (you shower standing over the freaking toilet). There was no hot water. Certainly no wifi. You hear every single noise in the building. Strange smells waft up from an open wall by the elevators. Worst of all, there were tiny little bugs crawling over the tablecloth (gross, seriously, it was disgusting, all night I was itching). The towels are not changed. The doorknob *and* curtains fell off during our stay, though there was one window with no cover and a bright light from the building outside shone directly on the pillow (I put a bag over it myself).

Considering the price we paid for this crap (over 400 USD for 2 nights!! "because it was new year's eve" and the city was sold out), we couldn't afford to move anywhere else. We only slept there (sort of), ran out early each morning and only came in after midnight. We were scared of leaving our stuff there unattended but had no choice. We didn't dare complain, having already been well and surely ripped off.

I cannot understand how this place can get ANY good reviews. My conclusions is that they have written their own.

Please take my warning and do not book this hostel or any of the others in this building (the smelly, crappy building, in which they are doing constant construction (asbestos?), is so, so dirty). They also run Tokyo hostel, Austrian guesthouse, Paris, anything to make it seem like it's trustworthy, there's a whole slew of "guesthouses" in this building, but it's a big scam: Nathan Road 34-36. Please be warned!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple