“Needs work” 4 of 5 bubbles

Madam Sixty Ate
Ranked #1,872 of 7,796 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$ 26 - US$ 77
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Needs work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

I was invited to dinner under the pretense of "you have to try this place... They are on their way to a Michelin star..."
I will say the presentations are good and the food had potential. But the combinations on the plate just didn't make perfect sense. Bacon wrapped halibut sounds interesting but it doesn't go. My appetizer was cold- was meant to be served hot.
Was not drinking wine but rather spirits. Waiter filled my wine glass. Gave it to a friend who was drinking wine and the waiter brought a wine glass again and filled it. Were they trying to fleece us? Asked two different waiters for a refill of my drink. Thirty minutes later got it. Poor service indeed.
Worst part for us was that we had a party of 8. We saw the menu before sitting and were intrigued. But a party of 5 or more and you are given a limited menu much smaller. So I watched the tables of 2 and 4 next to me getting whatever they wanted and I had a choice of 5 dishes, none which particularly appealed to me.
Was told by waitress and manager too bad. Insult to injury- about 1/4th of the tables were empty.
Wouldn't recommend for a large party. Cannot recommend for a small party because I couldn't see the regular menu or eat what I wanted to eat.
Train the staff better. Lighten up on the rules and maybe you can seek the star you covet. Otherwise be relegated to just another shooting star- in the sky for a second then gone again to be replaced by yet another chef seeking an audience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
“Lovely food and ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We visited here as part of the HK Restaurant Week. Wasn't sure what to expect looking at the menu but the food was good with service top notch and the ambience delightful as well.

We didn't like our first course so much- both of us had the roast chicken starter. I liked the texture of the eel, the 2nd time I am trying eel ever. I was unsure if I needed to drink the soup bit or not. So that left us slightly confused.

The main course was brilliant. I loved the lamb and my husband had the chicken. The meat was cooked well and the sides in the dish were delicately flavoured.

Our highpoint I have to admit was the dessert 'Warm cigar scented chocolate financier with sichuan ganahe, pepper tuille, smoked almond ice cream and armanac filled dates'. That was so ohmygod and delicious. My only problem was that at some points, the almond ice cream aftertaste was like turmeric in my mouth but this was rare points during eating that ohmygod dessert.

The wine pairing with each course was excellent. We will definitely be back at this restaurant.

• Visited February 2012
“Senational”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Fantastic food! Up there with Gaddi's at the Peninsula, just funkier and more modern! Awesome setting and art work! The smoked butter had me hooked from the start, the whole dining experience was sensational, 10 out of 10!

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Great food but service was poor and not well planned.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

I was too entertain important guests at this establishment. When we arrived we were told after sitting we would need to move as they had booked a large group after us. So we ended up moving into the bar. The fodd was incredible, the pork is to die for, but save room for dessert as these were simply Devine.

However during dessert we then had to ensure a loud PA from their adjoining room that couldn't be turned off. Again this was not considerate to other guests.

I must say however they went out of their way to offset the PR disaster in the making with an offer of free dessert and a glass of wine.

We will be back this is a great restaurant that clearly had an off day in the planning stakes.

Hong kong
“One of the worst experiences”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I went to the restaurant based on the recommendation of my friend. The food was on the whole satisfactory but the service was horrible. I had to wait for more than 30 min for my drinks. It was only given after I chased up the order twice. No bread was given till we ordered. Since one of my friends was running late, the remaining parties had to sit at the table, with an empty stomach, for more than 45min. Again similar situation happened after we finished the main course. No one offered us the desert menu untill we asked for it 30min after they cleared the table. The manager was rude and inconsiderate. No apology was given for the delay. He did not appear to care about the feelings of the customers. With this kind of service and this quality of food (which was satisfactory only), I found that the meal was overpriced and that I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited November 2011