“More fun than Disney! More informative than Google!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of J3 Private Tours Hong Kong

J3 Private Tours Hong Kong
Ranked #3 of 130 Tours in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: 45+ years in Hong Kong, awarded the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 5 years in a row, 2012 to 2016,I take bookings up to a year in advance with NO deposit or pre - payment required. I do take last minute bookings - subject to my availability! I'm English and I am a private tour guide - I offer premium quality private tours of Hong Kong. That's right - tours personalised to your custom specifications. If you don't want to do one of those horrible coach tours offered by the Hotel Concierges and if you are stuck for something to do in Hong Kong then contact me. My private walking tours are perfect for couples, families with kids (of any age!), cruise ship passengers, airport layover passengers, friends, solo traveller's and private groups of up to 8 people. Jamie's private tours - no ordinary experience
Perth, Australia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“More fun than Disney! More informative than Google!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

My two children (11 and 8) and I had two tours with Jamie, one of 8 hours and one which ended up being 12 hours. After a wonderful holiday that had included the Venetian, Disney and Ocean Park, it says a lot that this was the absolute highlight of our trip (and the kids even spontaneously thanked me for booking the tours)! While the kids and I were all ready to move on after 6 hours at the theme parks, there was still high energy levels and a reluctance for the day to end after 12 hours with Jamie! (again, with kids, that says a lot!)

For both tours Jamie met us promptly at our hotel. We then travelled around by walking, on MTR, buses, and ferry, covering Kowloon on the first day, and Hong Kong Island on the second. The days flowed very smoothly and were perfectly in line with our interests. Jamie had information and observations about everything, which made the experience so much richer, and we learnt so much and enjoyed so much that we never could've alone, on a bus tour, or even with many private tour guides (more on this below). It was also great to have questions answered on everything I saw (on everything from the patterns of other tourists we saw to rents, houses, school, culture, people and places and anything else you can think of). It really did make the difference between ticking the boxes of places seen and having a truly satisfying travel experience.

We did have another highly rated private tour guide one night earlier on as Jamie was booked up, and while a pleasant experience there was a huge difference between the two. While with the other all the information I had seen on a travel show, with Jamie it was the sort of information that really does take both a long time living in Hong Kong and a keen sense of observation to come by. He was also amazing with the kids, and in tailoring the tour to suit them - while with the other I was embarrassed by how often the question 'how much longer' was asked by them, with Jamie they were happy and interested the entire day, and reluctant for the day to end!

Jamie was kind enough to write about our tour on his website at the request of my kids (they are the 'angelic she-devils), and that shows just a handful of the highlights. We saw many of the mainstream sights such as the nunnery and gardens and market, and many that we would not have thought to see on our own but absolutely loved. With everything we saw, thanks to Jamie we could gain an understanding of what was going on which made it so much more interesting. As well as being knowledgeable and planning a great day, Jamie is also great company. I can be quite antisocial and generally want to escape people after a few hours, but in the case of Jamie he was very comfortable to be around and such great company that we would've rather had him with us every day. The kids just loved him, and are still talking about how great he is, and that it was 'epic' and 'the best'.

I will definitely tour with Jamie again next time I am in Hong Kong, whether with kids or alone, and would recommend it to anyone (and will arrange it myself for my mum when she visits if she doesn't herself).

Visited April 2012
j3tourshk, Owner at J3 Private Tours Hong Kong, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Hi EvilGeminiTwin

What can I say, I am bowled over by your comments and thank you, it is always wonderful to receive such a positive review.

I love family tours and having 3 kids of my own I can always relate to kids of all ages and I have to say that touring with you and the angelic she devils was a fantastic 2 day experience, just brilliant and yes, I have the scars to prove it!!!

Again, thanks for such a positive review

I hope to see the 3 of you again in the future

Jamie
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Bangkok, Thailand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Please ignore that one terrible review, here I'd like to say..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

First, I'm a travel agent and being a female solo traveller sometimes. Normally, I don't write any review, but I'd like to do it for Jamie and share it on TripAdvisor.

I contacted Jamie after reading reviews from TripAdvisor. Though, it'd be my 9th trip in Hong Kong. I was very keen to know how excellent he was and learn things from him. I can say without any hesitation that Jamie's a KIND, SINCERE and EASY GOING person. I enjoy walking and taking time to look around. Unfortunately, I had sore legs from another walking tour (not with Jamie) a day before. Jamie could customise the tour which was suitable for me, a 5 hour easy relaxing walking tour. It's very pleasant and fun to spend time with Jamie, for examples, he showed me the best viewpoint of The Peak which's a stunning spot with memorable story related to his childhood. Thank you for taking me there, I totally forgot I'd sore legs and actually did a walking tour as I planned.

He accompanied me to buy Tiger Balm for my sore legs (as my request) and also walked with me to The Peninsula Hong Kong to make sure I could buy its special tea back home. I wish he is always being my teacher for being an excellent private tour guide.

From my experience, you can ignore that one terrible review. It's a fraud. You can book Jamie's private tour with confidence. Enjoy spending your time in Hong Kong with people there.

1 Thank cateaway
Hi Cateaway

I really am grateful for your support and excellent review, thank you.

I always customise my tours to fit in with what my clients need and want and it is always nice to receive visitors in the travel industry, particularly from Thailand

I have to say that the Peninsula gift shop in the Pensinula Hotel basement is always a great place to buy some exotic gifts!

Thanks again

Denver, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wonderful Tour of Hong Kong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

We found Jamie on Trip Advisor and had an amazing time on our tour. Booking the tour with Jamie was very easy, and he was always responsive to our emails. Our walking tour with Jamie was on our third day in Hong Kong, so we had already done some sightseeing on our own. Jamie worked out an itinerary that was tailored to our interests and would ensure we saw different parts of the city that we had not already seen. The Peak was amazing at night and a highlight of the tour! Would highly recommend Jamie to anyone wanting a knowledgealble, personable guide for Hong Kong.

Hi Adam D

Thank you very much for your lovely review

The view from the Peak at night can be spectacular particularly after a hot sunny day with the winds blowing from the south or south west, it really is the best city view in the world.

I hope you can make it back to Hong Kong again

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
“The only way to see Hong Kong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I found Jamie on trip advisor and I am glad I decided to use him for our tour it was our first trip to Hong Kong and it was over welming with out Jamie we would have sat in a pub and not moved far from our hotel Jamie gave us a great tour and I would highly recomend him. you will feel safe with Jamie
D Bennett

Visited April 2012
j3tourshk, Owner at J3 Private Tours Hong Kong, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Hi David B

Thank you for the great review, it is much appreciated

I am very pleased you enjoyed the tour despite the fact we could not get the flight rescheduled, so we had to fit 2 days worth of tours into 1 day, this was a real challenge!

I hope to see you all again in the future

my best to you and the guys

thanks

Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“The way Hong Kong should be experienced!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I had the good fortune to find Jamie on Trip Advisor and I am grateful that I did, what a great experience!

I was travelling through Hong Kong on business and decided to stay an extra couple of days to get a sense for the city. Being somewhat pressed for time, I decided that a guided tour was the best way to get the greatest amount of value from my short time in Hong Kong. I tend to do my own walking tours when time permits, so I knew that a commercial "big bus" type tour just wasn't going to do it. I wanted to experience Hong Kong the way it should be experienced... and that is EXACTLY what I got.

My contact with Jamie started by e-mail and it was a very pleasant experience. E-mails were returned promptly, there was no pressure, and advice was dispensed freely. Great for planning your trip.

I chose a 5 hour private evening tour. Unfortunatley, the weather on the day we were scheduled to go out was frightful. Jamie showed up at my hotel at the appointed time and offered to cancel or re-schedule if I didn't want to deal with the monsoon like conditions. I took him up on his offer and we decided to go out the following evening (great choice!).

The tour on the following day was fabulous. It is worth mentioning that while Jamie is British, he has been living in Hong Kong since 1972. He knows the city the way only a native would and that, makes a huge difference! We visited local markets; made the customary pilgrimage to "The Peak" (more on that later) where we enjoyed amazing night time views; explored the nightlife that Hong Kong offers its local citizens, and; took a trip into the seedier side of the city (all very safe, but a great part of the experience). I really feel I saw Hong Kong the way it should be seen!

I said I would say a few more words about the visit to The Peak. Frankly, this part of the tour exemplifies why choosing Jamie is the only way to go. To appreciate why, consider that every year, more than 40 Million visitors come to Hong Kong and just about every one of them finds their way to The Peak (Victoria Peak as it is known to tourists). Most visitors take the Peak Tram which involves long line ups each way. Once you reach the top, you fight your way through the crowds in the "shopping centre / viewing platform" to get a 90 degree view of the light filled city below. That's the way 99.9% of visitors see it. With Jamie, we took a taxi to the top (elapsed time about 10-15 minutes) once we got there, we took a short walk down a very pleasant street lined with US$40-60 million mansions which led us to a spot where we had the world's most spectacular view of the city below - less time to get there, spectacular view (180 degrees), zero crowds. You won't get that from a guidebook!

I left the city feeling like I experienced the real Hong Kong, something I could not have done without Jamie.

Jamie, thanks for an amazing experience! Maybe next time around I'll rent a 911 Turbo and we can experience the city from a different point of view! ;-)

Martin

1 Thank Martin P
Hi Martin P

I really appreciate the terrific review, thank you so much

Rain can be a real factor at this time of the year in Hong Kong and honestly there is nothing more miserable than tramping around the streets in torrential rain so I try and be as flexible as I can and in this instance postponing for a day worked in our favour and we got lucky!

The highlight of my night tour is The Peak from my own spot, it is simply magical and luckily the cloud and rain stayed away for long enough

I am so pleased you enjoyed yourself in Hong Kong despite the less than agreeable weather

Thanks again