“Hong Kong Second Time Around”

J3 Private Tours Hong Kong
Ranked #3 of 133 Tours in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: 45+ years in Hong Kong, awarded the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 5 years in a row, 2012 to 2016, I take bookings up to a year in advance with NO deposit or pre - payment required. I do take last minute bookings - subject to my availability! I'm English and I am a private tour guide - I offer premium quality private tours of Hong Kong. That's right - tours personalised to your custom specifications. Going local with Jamie who has lived in Hong Kong for 45 Years! and your Private Tour with a local Hong Kong Resident starts right here Amazing Hong Kong, the former British Colony from 1841 - 1997 My private walking tours are perfect for couples, families with kids (of any age!), cruise ship passengers, airport layover passengers, friends, solo traveller's and private groups of up to 8 people. Jamie's private tours - no ordinary experience
Coto de Caza, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hong Kong Second Time Around”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We visited Hong Kong almost 30 years ago and this time took an all day walking tour with Jamie. It was a great way to cover a lot of ground without having to do a lot of advance planning or constantly consulting maps for directions. Jamie took us to worthwhile stops that we would not have visited on our own. In addition to his "surprises" he was flexible and incorporated what we wanted to add. Good exercise, good information and good company, his extensive knowledge of the city saved us time and we were not disappointed in our very full day.

Visited March 2012
j3tourshk, Owner at J3 Private Tours Hong Kong, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Cototraveler

Thanks ever so much for the lovely review, I appreciate it.

Hong Kong has changed dramatically over the past 30 years and it was great to reminisce about the past. I am always able to add in specific client requests to the tour as well as adding in a few surprises of my own

Thanks again
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Buyer's Remorse”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Overpriced and over-promised. After reading all the positive reviews I signed up, thankful Jamie could fit me in to his busy schedule. However, after the tour was complete I felt I had only seen locations and heard information I could have obtained from any basic guidebook. I was hoping to visit a Hong Kong I couldn't find in a guidebook, but did not, we even ate at the most popular Dim Sum chain restaurant in the city! Save your $3000 HK and spend a few dollars on a city map and see the sights on your own. Huge disappointment :-(

13 Thank Tiasquam
I provide a premium service and I have never, ever felt that a client has been less than happy with the tours I provide and it has come of somewhat as a shock to read these comments by "Tiasquam" . As there is no clue as to the clients identity (the profile of this person has no information at all) I cannot even begin to figure out who this client was and I am wondering if this is a malicious review. I welcome all feedback in an effort to improve but this is a real headscratcher as all the information on the feedback could have been gotten from other reviews and my website (which also includes a price list). If this review is genuine then all I can really say is that my job is simply to give clients a snapshot of Hong Kong over a period of 5 - 10 hours. The reviews I have gotten speak for themselves, no 2 tours are ever the same and everywhere we go is "genuine" Hong Kong and you certainly cannot get my 36 years of living in Hong Kong experience in a guidebook!

I am very sorry that this person has a less than happy experience but as I cannot verify the clients identity I cannot really comment in more detail

Melbourne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“An honest insight into Hong Kong”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This tour was definitely a highlight of our trip. Jamie showed us a Hong Kong that no guide books can show you - it was from the perspective of a local who re Hong Kong for all its quirks, which was extremely refreshing. We visited temples and gardens, where Jamie highlighted the seemingly ridiculous and hilarious aspects of Hong Kong culture. We were in fits of laughter!

The restaurant he recommended was absolutely delicious - we ate there twice afterwards!

The tour ended with a taxi ride to “the peak”, where Jamie took us to his favourite look out spot, where no other tourist was present. We had a personal view of the entire city of Hong Kong. It was simply extraordinary.

Jamie’s personal and jovial demeanor, and his intimate knowledge of the city proved to be an absolute winning combination. In the 9 hours we spent with him, we gained an honest insight into this seemingly superficial city. All in all, Jamie was fantastic, and we could have spent the entire week with him.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank tcmelb
Hi TCMELB

Thanks for the glowing review, it was a pleasure to spend time with you here, we had a great time didn't we...Hong Kong is a fabulous place but also a mass of contradictions, I love the place and have done since 1972...

It is such a pity that we could not take the Peak Tram to the Peak but these days 2 and even 3 hour queues are common so plan B, the Taxi is always the best option..

I hope to see you all again soon

Thanks!!
christchurch
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“HONG KONG WALKABOUT.”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

So easy to arrange via internet our 5 hour walkabout,Jamie was a most pleasant and informative guide,very responsive to our requests for areas/locations to visit,his knowledge of Hong Kong was impressive.
Jamie was very easy to get on with,we enjoyed his company as well as his chatty commentary.His love of his job and that of Hong Kong was obvious.
This was a highlight of our trip.
Must pencil in a repeat for next trip to Hong Kong.

Hi, muzChristchurch

Thank you for the lovely review, I know you were here for the rugby 7's and it was so nice to be able to show you both around this great city....

I hope you will be back next year!!

thanks again
Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Easy and relaxing”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Its super easy to book a guided tour with Jamie was just a with email exchange. Although, we have been to HK many times but always as a tourist visiting touristy place, this time we wanted to experience where 'real' people live. Jamie took us exactly to those place. Graveyards, nunnery, back alleys, momuements ...etc. thank you Jamie for a enjoyable 8hrs!

Visited April 2012
j3tourshk, Owner at J3 Private Tours Hong Kong, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Hi Ynotnow

I very much appreciate the review, thanks... it was also very strange starting a tour at 6am, amazing what you can see and do even at that time of the morning! it was a bit eerie mind coming back down on the Peak Tram with just 3 passengers (us!)

The graveyard visit was certainly interesting being as it was the Ching Ming Festival and I am pleased we got to go and see the Handover Monument (most people have no idea it even exists)

I hope you got some great pictures and that you enjoyed your golf as well

Thanks again