“Horrible, Dirty & Disgusting - Avoid at any price!!!”

City Loft Service Studio
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hong Kong
City Loft Service Studio
Ranked #118 of 164 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 October 2013

For my 3 month stay in HK, I pre-booked a serviced apartment for 10,000 HKD. The only positive thing was the location, which was very central and close to nice shops/bars/restaurants etc.
I can only give the advise not to stay in any accommodation of cityloft - the apartments they have are not worth a single dollar!! According to their very nice homepage, they pretend to be appear as a provider of nice and cosy apartments with great service at relatively reasonable rates. This definitely is an illusion! Obviously the only thing they invested in is their homepage/ internet appearance! The rooms they offer are horrible and really dirty. I did not expect a large apartment, however as an European you expect to get at least clean apartment for this price - which was definitely not the case! I have never ever before seen such a dirty bed - which made me move out immediately just right after I arrived in the middle of the night. Luckily I had friend who offered me to sleep on his couch for a couple of days. I could not even sit on the bed, and I am not a too sensitive person. The mattress was smelly and dirty, full of stains - so was the bed linen, pillows, blanket etc. On top of that, there could be found a great collection of dirt and pubic hair next to the bed, on the bed and inside of the bed frame. Under the bed, it seems as there was an old pool of blood - I did not investigate further - however I really do not want to know what once happened in that room/ on that bed before. Moreover, the matress was not only old but also very uncomfortable - a night in that bed might have caused the worst back pain.
Aside from the disgusting bed area, the rest of the room was not worth its money as well, however I could have lived with the small cupboard, shelf, so called "kitchen area", old school TV, toilet and shower in the middle of the room etc. Another thing to mention is that the air conditioning was extremely disgusting and smelly (see picture). According to the description of the room/ house, they claimed to provide a washing machine on the roof terrace - this turned out to be another lie. Yes, there was a washing machine, and a roof terrace - but not as you would expect. The roof terrace was just an accessible roof without anything you would expect on a terrace but with a lot of dirt and waste, the washing machine seemed to be 50 years old and I would not even wash an old towel for my dog in there. But pictures say more than words!

After I complained, they pretended to be very sorry and offered me to show me another apartment. Even though I already had enough after this horrible experience with my first room I accepted and decided to give them a second chance. Although I mentioned that the other room was extremely dirty and disgusting, e.g. with the mattress and dirty bed linen etc., they did not manage to put some clean and fresh bed linen into the new room.

I am very glad that I decided not to stay one single night in any of their shabby rooms, although it took me more than two months to get a refund of at least a part of the money I had already paid in advance. It took me so much time, nerves and negotiation-effort to get to that solution and the only thing I can do is to tell others to avoid city loft at any price - otherwise you will regret it for sure!!!! Believe me.

Room Tip: Avoid city loft, the only nice thing is their homepage!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
18  Thank Anne2382013

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed in 115 Winglok street accommodation.

Positives:
Very convenient location. Transport- 1 min walk to MTR, 5/10 min walk to Soho and central, bus, tram stops 1 min away.
Restaurants- great place to try the local food, lots of new western style coffee shops.
Laundrettes, markets etc v close by and a great smoothie/fruit stall round the corner.
Ok sized studio flat and bathroom for HK standards.
Serviced apartment meant room cleaned once a week, including bed sheets.
Pretty modern, obviously focusing on westerners and prices reflect this.
Clean and washing machine and dryer on the roof (though don't think it's officially advertised to the residents)

Things they could improve on:
Internet - slow and sometimes cuts out.
Other residents - can be loud going up n down sometimes in the early hrs of the morning, thin walls so could even here people on their phones and other strange noises!! Though nothing can be done about this. Some residents smoked in their rooms which drifted to other rooms and the corridor.
Flood - my husband helped a girl from the room above to stop and clean up the flood that came from a broken pipe under the sink. The agency didn't pick up the phone, so we the residents, are meant to deal with these kind of issues. We later asked city loft if we could have an emergency number if something like this happened again, they said they didn't have one!
Rent - first months rent was 12,500. Then we wanted another month and they said prices have gone up to 13,000. They are very shady with the prices, they don't seem to value repeat custom. We wanted to move elsewhere but found other agencies either too expensive or located in causeway bay which is busy and the rooms are tiny.
Admin - sometimes they were efficient. However when we requested a sofa (as some rooms have them, others don't), they said yes, we waited and waited, requested again and nothing was done. Until we moved out, we didn't get the promised sofa.
Air conditioning - it worked well, but it is so noisy as it makes the window vibrate, I had to get ear plugs.

City Loft are a short term solution and only when you have exhausted all other avenues.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cluelessduo
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed 2 months in Sheung Wan, Jervois street and regretted it immediately. Internet was super flaky, i had a few power outs in the evening with no access to the fix it. Warm water stopped working sometimes and the toilet was always jammed. Gross. There is fungus in the walls which just gets overpainted and comes out after a few weeks. The cooking plate looked like it was dug up from an ancient excavation site. I don't mind when things are basic but this was the worst place I ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank W D
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I stayed at Sheung Wan, at Wing Lok Street. I have to say that I was very satisfied with my stay and would recommended other people to try it out. The apartment I stayed at was located in a very convenient area, with easy access to transport to get you around HK. MTR is only 15min walk away (and it is was pleasant walk) or if you feeling very adventurous and want to see more of HK, try the Trams which is much more closer about 5 mins away.

The apartment had all the amenities you require; powerful shower, toilet, large bed, desk, wardrobe, microwave, air-con and most importantly (for me at least) access to wifi internet.

I have to say that it is a bit basic and it is really nothing special, but it is clean, affordable and has all the important things required to make it a satisfactory stay.

I would recommended people to try city loft.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Vincent T
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Hi

I would just like to express how comfortable my stay was at city lofts, Sheung Wan. I can see some not so favourable reviews here and I would like to make my experience known. Hong Kong has always been a place that I have most wanted to visit and work in. City loft made it a less stressful move over. For a busy place, Hong kong can be quite lonely. The staff made it less daunting, with a friendly hello when we cross paths. It terms of the size, it was ample as you don't stay in your room in HK and all places in HK are small. For the price it was more than satisfactory It would have been great watching TV and chilling out after a full day out, but HK TV wasn't really my cup of tea. Luckily I had my iPad and full wifi in the room. My stay was just under 3 months, before I moved on to a current place in TST, closer to my new place of work. I would recommend city lofts to anyone taking that leap to start a new life in HK. Its basic, but clean and I felt safe coming back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo