Hullett House
The Peninsula Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$ 992
US$ 866
The Peninsula
  • Pool
The Royal Garden(Hong Kong)
US$ 579
US$ 472
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Cordis, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$ 524
US$ 482
US$ 386
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Grand Hyatt Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$ 592
US$ 547
US$ 316
US$ 231
Regalhotel.com
US$ 902
US$ 785
  • Pool
Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong(Hong Kong)(Great Value!)
US$ 317
US$ 216
Hotel Direct
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmarine policeboutique hoteltsim sha tsuithe high end shopssq ftroom decorpeking duckfabulous stayevery eveningfree mini barfollowing morningchinese restauranthigh risestreet levelferry terminalcity viewbeautiful hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed at Hullett House for 2 nights in November, the eve of my wedding and my wedding night. I live in HK already but of course we couldnt stay together on our our wedding eve so we needed a hotel (and since its for me a super nice one). I really wanted to stay in a suite of course, and also somewhere very "Hong Kong" to mark the occasion and our choice of location. So this lead me to search many places starting with the mandarin oriental - an HK institution. However a suite in the mandarin started at 16k HKD which is approx 1200 GBP they dont have a sea view for that money either. I went through all of the big chains, Four Seasns, Conrad, Peninsula etc etc and I started to find all the big chains are now pretty tamely decorated with no identity and are also very corporate. Then I came across Hullett House, I place I've eaten brunch many times but dont always think of as a hotel.

The building used to be the old Marine Police headquarters and is a beautiful old colonial building very close to the Star Ferry in Tsim Sha Tsui. It still has the old cells even! It doesnt have many hotel rooms but every room is a large suite with a different design. The corner suites have more balconies. All rooms overlook the front of the hotel where you can view hundreds of locals having their wedding photos or graduation photos taken all year round. As I live here anyway I visited the hotel to show me around and I got to look at the rooms available for our chosen dates. The staff were lovely and so accommodating. The rooms are huge for Hong Kong and big for most countries standards. We chose the Shek O suite which was all red with lacquered painted walls, balconies and a huge bathroom with large walk in shower and free standing claw foot bath. It was exactly what I wanted, very Chinese and quirky and had lots of space for me to get ready. I booked my room through the hotel website which had a cheaper deal, only 5k HKD a night, 400 GBP roughly including breakfast. You cant chose your room then but you can add a note to request ot and i emailed the hotel they confirmed my choice for me. They also arrange me a wedding car which was a great help.

We arrived at the hotel very late and its a little confusing as the hotel is atop a hill, the entrance is actually around the side on the street level. Anyway once we found our way on the staff were very helpful, they took my bouquets for me and stored them in their large fridges. They also brought us 2 glasses of champagne.

The hotel is very quiet, I didnt see any other guests during my stay.

Breakfast is served in your room for no extra cost which is amazing and you can chose from a very big menu. We ate our breakfast on our balcony - bliss.

The beds are huge and very comfortable indeed! I know some beds in Asia can be a bit hard but not here.

There is no pool or gym here but were too busy getting married to need any facilities. If you want somewhere with an old world charm then I'd hugely recommend it!

Room Tip: A corner suite has private balcony!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank want_need_a_holiday
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed one night at Hullett House in Hong Kong. Arrived at the entrance that was e-mailed to me. There was no one there and if you don't read the really small sign telling you to call up when you arrive on the 1st floor you will not be able to check in at reception.

The hotel is in a historic building and it really is quite an experience as this was the old police headquarters which have been converted into a heritage centre. The building has been left intact including the old stairs and facade. When you walk down to the restaurant along the narrow passageway you can't help thinking of the history that the walls hold.

First the good: the bed is amazing in the Stanley Suite, it is comfortable and you can just melt into sleep. The balcony with your private sitting area is also spectacular as you have partial views of the Hong Kong skyline. There is also a free mini bar service and free wifi. The amenities in the bathroom are comprehensive and smell divine.

However, there are many things which need improvement.

Now the improvements: The key card was a used one which had the previous guests name tippexed out and ours written in. This is tacky and not something I would expect from this kind of establishment.

The room is showing wear and tear and the hotel has not been open for long. The material on one of the chairs has ripped and the tap in the bathroom is missing the hot sign.

There is a sense that you are not actually in a hotel and there is no list of services that the hotel offers. The rooms are vacuous and the space has not been used well which makes you feel like you are sleeping in a cave rather than in a cosy heritage room. The actual hotel is not user friendly and the flow is not pleasant for a guest.

Breakfast was pleasant but the service in the restaurant was disappointing. The waiter did not smile once or even attempt to be friendly.

For those wanting privacy this is a good hotel. But when the rate is the same as the Peninsula and I compare what you get just one block away, I am sorry to say that I would rather stay at the Peninsula than here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jasonleg
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Hong Kong loves demolishing its heritage buildings, so the the Victorian-era marine police headquarters at the tip of the Kowloon peninsula being made into a hotel is a welcome development.

Hullett House has five restaurants each one is wonderful.

The massive suites are a bit sparse but magnificent, with little more than a bed, wooden floorboards, a wall-mounted TV and a fireplace.

MainlWe stayed in the Casam suite, which is hung with modern art, and the white Silvermine.

Breakfast on the veranda of The Parlour - overlooking banyan trees, historical artifacts and the shopping plaza beneath the hotel - is a great start to the day.

Hullett House would be a rarity in any part of the world: surrounded by high-rise, hi-tech Hong Kong, it's an unexpected treasure.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Billy W
Reviewed 24 November 2011

The venue, decor, food, service, friendliness of staff and general ambience all an absolute delight! The attention to detail knows no bounds and I plan to return on my next visit to Hong Kong. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
A big Thank You to the Hullett House team for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Robertsconsulting
Reviewed 14 September 2011

In a city that seems to keeps its older history tucked away, and where the modern and 'now' rules, Hullett House offers a taste of colonial splendour mixed with taseful innovation that is guarenteed to delight, impress and charm the visitor.
The building was once the police headquarters. Built in the late 19th century, it has a courtyard in a city where every square-inch is at a premium. It has a number of beautiful bars where peace and quiet can be found amongst the vibrant city life around it- and a couple of the prison cells have been left as a reminder of its past use!
The staff are absolutley charming and could not be more helpful and the food and drink match the quality of their surroundings.
There are a number of bedroom suites that are decorated in a unique theme. We stayed in a room decorated in a traditional Chinese style which looked out towards the harbour and gave a feeling of being splendidly superior and luxury - which was probably how the original occupiers wanted to feel.
Hullett House is a very special hotel. We were very well looked-after and our time there really added to the whole Hong Kong experience. It's a perfect choice for anyone looking to add an extra dimension to their city-stay or for a romantic stop-over that will be remembered for the fact that no one else in the world is staying in a room quite like yours - or if you're not a resident - the resturant & bar service is worth visiting in its own right.
Without overstating the point... It's a unique and beautiful destination that made us feel very welcome. Thank you!

Room Tip: Visit the website for more info on the suites and / or ask for a description of those available. Really worth the extra research - a unique hotel experience
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank James W
Raymond S, Manager at Hullett House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

Thank you for staying with us. I would be delighted to pass your compliments to our teams. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

-Raymond