“Much Room for Improvement”
Review of Hullett House

Hullett House
Ranked #9 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Perth, Australia
“Much Room for Improvement”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My expectations were high for his property considering its location and rate to which I was highly disappointed from the beginning but kept wandering if things would improve - sadly the best part of my experience was the airport car at departure which I had to pay for on top of everything else. The location is magnificent although what would be even better is a HK skyline view ... again the price warrants it. Check-in was very faulty towers-like as was check-out but all I wanted was the balcony to which I had two private balconys in a corner suite and although comfortable they needed cleaning because they looked like they hadn't been hosed down in years! Ultimately there's a reason why, for what you pay to stay here this property isn't in the top 10 ranking, and needs major improvements service wise to be considered a leading hotel of the world. Sadly I would not return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Aaron-Orupe
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed at Hullett House for 2 nights in November, the eve of my wedding and my wedding night. I live in HK already but of course we couldnt stay together on our our wedding eve so we needed a hotel (and since its for me a super nice one). I really wanted to stay in a suite of course, and also somewhere very "Hong Kong" to mark the occasion and our choice of location. So this lead me to search many places starting with the mandarin oriental - an HK institution. However a suite in the mandarin started at 16k HKD which is approx 1200 GBP they dont have a sea view for that money either. I went through all of the big chains, Four Seasns, Conrad, Peninsula etc etc and I started to find all the big chains are now pretty tamely decorated with no identity and are also very corporate. Then I came across Hullett House, I place I've eaten brunch many times but dont always think of as a hotel.

The building used to be the old Marine Police headquarters and is a beautiful old colonial building very close to the Star Ferry in Tsim Sha Tsui. It still has the old cells even! It doesnt have many hotel rooms but every room is a large suite with a different design. The corner suites have more balconies. All rooms overlook the front of the hotel where you can view hundreds of locals having their wedding photos or graduation photos taken all year round. As I live here anyway I visited the hotel to show me around and I got to look at the rooms available for our chosen dates. The staff were lovely and so accommodating. The rooms are huge for Hong Kong and big for most countries standards. We chose the Shek O suite which was all red with lacquered painted walls, balconies and a huge bathroom with large walk in shower and free standing claw foot bath. It was exactly what I wanted, very Chinese and quirky and had lots of space for me to get ready. I booked my room through the hotel website which had a cheaper deal, only 5k HKD a night, 400 GBP roughly including breakfast. You cant chose your room then but you can add a note to request ot and i emailed the hotel they confirmed my choice for me. They also arrange me a wedding car which was a great help.

We arrived at the hotel very late and its a little confusing as the hotel is atop a hill, the entrance is actually around the side on the street level. Anyway once we found our way on the staff were very helpful, they took my bouquets for me and stored them in their large fridges. They also brought us 2 glasses of champagne.

The hotel is very quiet, I didnt see any other guests during my stay.

Breakfast is served in your room for no extra cost which is amazing and you can chose from a very big menu. We ate our breakfast on our balcony - bliss.

The beds are huge and very comfortable indeed! I know some beds in Asia can be a bit hard but not here.

There is no pool or gym here but were too busy getting married to need any facilities. If you want somewhere with an old world charm then I'd hugely recommend it!

Room Tip: A corner suite has private balcony!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank want_need_a_holiday
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed one night at Hullett House in Hong Kong. Arrived at the entrance that was e-mailed to me. There was no one there and if you don't read the really small sign telling you to call up when you arrive on the 1st floor you will not be able to check in at reception.

The hotel is in a historic building and it really is quite an experience as this was the old police headquarters which have been converted into a heritage centre. The building has been left intact including the old stairs and facade. When you walk down to the restaurant along the narrow passageway you can't help thinking of the history that the walls hold.

First the good: the bed is amazing in the Stanley Suite, it is comfortable and you can just melt into sleep. The balcony with your private sitting area is also spectacular as you have partial views of the Hong Kong skyline. There is also a free mini bar service and free wifi. The amenities in the bathroom are comprehensive and smell divine.

However, there are many things which need improvement.

Now the improvements: The key card was a used one which had the previous guests name tippexed out and ours written in. This is tacky and not something I would expect from this kind of establishment.

The room is showing wear and tear and the hotel has not been open for long. The material on one of the chairs has ripped and the tap in the bathroom is missing the hot sign.

There is a sense that you are not actually in a hotel and there is no list of services that the hotel offers. The rooms are vacuous and the space has not been used well which makes you feel like you are sleeping in a cave rather than in a cosy heritage room. The actual hotel is not user friendly and the flow is not pleasant for a guest.

Breakfast was pleasant but the service in the restaurant was disappointing. The waiter did not smile once or even attempt to be friendly.

For those wanting privacy this is a good hotel. But when the rate is the same as the Peninsula and I compare what you get just one block away, I am sorry to say that I would rather stay at the Peninsula than here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jasonleg
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Hong Kong loves demolishing its heritage buildings, so the the Victorian-era marine police headquarters at the tip of the Kowloon peninsula being made into a hotel is a welcome development.

Hullett House has five restaurants each one is wonderful.

The massive suites are a bit sparse but magnificent, with little more than a bed, wooden floorboards, a wall-mounted TV and a fireplace.

MainlWe stayed in the Casam suite, which is hung with modern art, and the white Silvermine.

Breakfast on the veranda of The Parlour - overlooking banyan trees, historical artifacts and the shopping plaza beneath the hotel - is a great start to the day.

Hullett House would be a rarity in any part of the world: surrounded by high-rise, hi-tech Hong Kong, it's an unexpected treasure.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Billy W
Reviewed 24 November 2011

The venue, decor, food, service, friendliness of staff and general ambience all an absolute delight! The attention to detail knows no bounds and I plan to return on my next visit to Hong Kong. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
A big Thank You to the Hullett House team for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed November 2011