“Great hostel to stay in”
Review of Hop Inn

Hop Inn
Marikina City
“Great hostel to stay in”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed at the Carnarvon location with my wife and son for 2 nights. This was the first time for me to stay in a hostel. My brother and his friends were also going to stay here for the trip so I decided to check the reviews on Tripadvisor, which convinced me to book for 3 nights. Unfortunately, rooms were not available on our first night so I had to book a night with a nearby hotel along Pratt avenue which was just a few steps away. I almost missed the place while looking for it as the entrance to the building was small and you will only see the "hop inn" sign on the wall once you go inside the building. Although the building entrance and the tiny elevator were uninviting(the lift can only fit 4-5 passengers, 3 at most if you have luggage), all these changed once we reached hop-inn at the 9th floor. The staff were warm and very accommodating, the place was clean, comfortable and very interesting. We got a room with 2 single beds (P-1), which we moved to join the 2 beds together, do not expect much room amenities as there are only the beds, an LCD TV with a DVD player and hooks and hangers on the door. The room and the bathroom are small but functional. The room was painted in white and had green and red camouflage patterns on the ceiling, on the wall was a green and a red soldier embracing each other - "love your enemies" was the caption. There is free wi-fi, which was fast but we were getting frequent disconnections - the staff told us that they were indeed having problems with it. There was free drinking water down another corridor. A cool "common room" with reading stuff, card and board games, and a football game which my son was very fond of. A door from the common room leads out to an open area "roof deck". They have a collection of DVD's which you can borrow, kettle for boiling water and power adaptors are also available. The location is very central and ideal as shopping, dining and interesting spots are all around. The MTR, bus station and the Star ferry are also near the place. Hop-inn offers good value if you are traveling on a budget and if you don't mind the small room space. I recommend you get the bigger rooms just to give you some space to move around. I would definitely have Hop-Inn on my list the next time I go back to Hongkong.

Room Tip: Book your room early as they are usually fully booked. Try to get the bigger rooms to give you some...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jonas L
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We had an over night layover in HK and just wanted somewhere central to crash, Hop Inn gave us so much more!! Nestled in TST this place is definitely the HK real deal - small lift (between 3 of us and our gear we had to go up in 2 groups!), small rooms but perfect for us. The rooms, like I said, are small but very well designed - bed, shower, window - excellent. Don't expect bells and whistles furniture or amenity wise, the rooms have everything you need for a cheap, convenient stay. My Dad took the room with no window and said he had the best sleep in weeks - so those who like a dark quiet spot to snooze after adventuring you're in luck. The location is great, steps from the MTR, Haagen Das across the street, Circle Ks abounding and a big mall right down the way (this is useful because you have a large landmark you can see while rambling Kowloon to keep tabs on how far you are from home!). The directions given by Hop Inn are great and lead you right to the hostel, print them out and follow them exactly, its easy to get distracted by all the lights and signs but stick to their instructions and you'll end up right where you need to be. Make sure you grab a business card before you head out, they have directions for taxi drivers on the back which comes in handy. Really enjoyed my brief time at Hop Inn, I've found my HK layover haven!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AdventureSparrow
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I got the local bus from the airport and was dropped off on the near by main road (Nathan Road). The map I picked up from the airport was not sufficient in getting me to Hop Inn, or perhaps it was the confusing streets and lack of street signs. I needed to ask a local who kindly showed me to the front door. Once I got there, I was like "what the?", but then when I walked in and saw my room I thought "wow! This is great" .. All in all it was perfect, although the aircon was noisy and you couldn't control the temp, it was either blasting cold air or off and the humidity of Hong Kong seeped in the window. I felt really safe walking around the streets by myself late at night, it was really happening place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank soundoffreedom
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I booked a quadruple room for the first night and a triple room for the second night; they upgraded the triple room to a quadruple room without any charge! The staff were very friendly and courteous. They even found and fixed something the belong to my god daughter!

Rooms are very nice and clean with a minimalistic look. Restrooms are also clean with toiletries and hot water available. Room comes with a cable TV and a complimentary fast wifi. You can also borrow laptops/tablets from the front desk for free!

There's hot and cold drinking water available which is great. The location's very accessible also; we stayed in Hop Inn in Carnarvon and it's just a stone's throw away (1-minute walk) from MTR Tsim Sha Tsui Station.

One thing for improvement though is that the walls are not that sound-proof; I can hear people showering from other rooms during the middle of night.

Overall, I would love to stay in Hop Inn again next time I go to HK!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Karl J
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Great hostel, very friendly front desk people, small room but nice and clean. Free wifi available. The location is convenient, 1 minute's walking to MTR station, 30 seconds' walking to Nathan Road.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends