“Excellent walking tour, with a unique twist!”

Wanderlust Walks Hong Kong Private Tours
Ranked #54 of 172 Tours in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fluent in German and English!! Would you like to know the real Hong Kong? Experience the city with all your senses? Dive into its history? Listen to its myths and legends? Understand the unfamiliar manners and unknown customs? Walk off the beaten track? And all of this in small groups? Perfect. In this case, come and explore Hong Kong with Wanderlust Walks.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I had the pleasure of going on a Wanderlust tour of Wanchai and found it fascinating! Though I have lived in Hong Kong for many years, much of the information Alexandra shared was new to me, and really made the history of these places come alive! The route of the tour was well planned and she'd obviously done a lot of research about the sites that we visited. I now follow Alexandra on Instagram and hope to do one of her street art tours soon! If you live in HK or are just passing through, I highly recommend doing a Wanderlust tour!

Alexandra U, Chief Storyteller at Wanderlust Walks Hong Kong Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was a pleasure taking you around Wanchai and sharing local history and urban legends with you. I hope to see you soon on one our Street Art Tours. All the best to you.

All reviews
"history"
in 10 reviews
"photos"

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Although I had been living in Hong Kong for over 5 years Alex was yet able to show me so much about Kenndytown and Wan Chai that I didn't know while I had lived in both neighbourhoods. She took me to and through the history of buildings, the evolution of the city, showed me the backbone of Hong Kong's culture. Alex' way of telling stories is captivating and is done with so much passion and accuracy that it's a delight to listen to her! Oh and she also knows al the best eateries in Hong Kong! ;)

Alexandra U, Chief Storyteller at Wanderlust Walks Hong Kong Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words. I‘m glad that you enjoyed the tour and that I was able to add some new insights into familiar surroundings. I hope to see you again in some of my other upcoming tours, all the best to you.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

Though born and raised in Hong Kong, I’m like many others neglecting the historical and valuable sides of this fast-moving city. Fortunately the tour to Wan Chai organized by Alexandra reminded me the beauty and charm of my hometown.

The entire tour was well-planned and presented in a unique way. Apart from introducing famous landmarks such as Hopewell Centre, Blue House and the former Wan Chai Market etc, Alex also took me to the gorgeous Pak Tai (Northern Emperor) Temple, the haunted Nam Koo Terrace as well as the delicate Starstreet Precinct. The fusion of modernization and tradition amazed me in many ways.

Not only Alex’s profound knowledge about Hong Kong’s history (Especially for the land reclamation in Wan Chai) and Chinese folk religions impressed me a lot, but also her true passion and love for my city, even though she’s an expat. As a local resident, I have learnt to admire what we have left, and remember what we have lost from this short but remarkable journey.

I can’t wait to join Alex’s new tours in the future. For those who would like to explore and understand Hong Kong, don’t hesitate to contact her!

Alexandra U, Chief Storyteller at Wanderlust Walks Hong Kong Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Thank you so much for your review, Tin Chung. It was a real pleasure meeting you and I honestly feel honored having taken a local Hongkonger around town. I’m glad that I was able to show you some unknown corners and introduce you to some new aspects of your hometown. Looking forward to seeing you again in one of my upcoming tours, take good care until then.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

My husband Tommy and I love visiting Hong Kong, we go there almost every year exploring it on our own, but we always go to the same places. Then one of my friends recommended maybe trying a walking tour to maybe see another side of Hong Kong, so we did and we loved it! It was a different experience and we learned about the local ins and outs of certain local places and its history. There is so much history in this small city, so much to learn about. I would definitely go again, Alexandra was an awesome tour guide. She was very personable and knowledgeable with much of the history and culture of Hong Kong. She was wonderful! She was able to give recommendations on where to visit and eat too! Next time we visit, we will definitely do the tour again! Thank you for the wonderful amazing experience! Do you do ghost tours? Just kidding...I don't think I'm brave enough for that =)

1  Thank gigapet914
Alexandra U, Chief Storyteller at Wanderlust Walks Hong Kong Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad that you enjoyed the tour and that I was able to introduce some new and interesting aspects of HK to you and your husband. I hope to see you again during one of your next visits, all the best to you two.

P.s. And of course, we could do a ghost tour too ;)

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 February 2018

I have been to Hong Kong multiple times with friends and family, but this time was different. I had my newly wed wife with me! I wanted to take her around the city and show her some sites but there was one thing I knew I didn't possess that would really make the trip special - knowledge of Hong Kong's great history! I decided to book a full day with Alex at Wanderlust Walks and gave her some of the places I wanted to go. She was able to customize our tour to fully maximize our time and fun.

We started with a perfectly paced walk through Wan Chai, stopping at various sites and learning about the rich history. We got to try various foods and really learned about the culture through their cuisine. Alex is so knowledgeable, and we were thoroughly impressed!

We then embarked on a short hike up the Victoria Peak and hiked to various viewing points that overlooked Hong Kong and the beautiful harbor. We must have taking a gazillion photos! Thanks for holding the camera Alex ;) .

I highly recommend the walking tours as you will see and learn so much! Next time we visit the city, I will definitely book again for a whole new experience!

Alexandra U, Chief Storyteller at Wanderlust Walks Hong Kong Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Thank you very much for your kind words. It was truly a pleasure getting to know you and your lovely wife. I’m glad that I could make your day special and help out with the picture taking too ;). Looking forward to seeing you again, all the best for the two of you.