New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and 1 more site!
Paris Guesthouse
Ranked #105 of 158 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
Vancouver
“pretty bad - but what do you expect for $30?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2010

This was by far the worst place I have ever stayed - claustrophobic rooms, no window, not particularly clean, old worn out fixtures, noisy, poor service etc... But I think it was also by far the cheapest place I've stayed in Hong Kong at just $30. So I can't really complain. The free wi-fi worked fine.

I arrived at 10pm or so, and was out the next morning early, so it sufficed for a just a place to crash. For a longer stay, I would pay more for a better room.

One tip - arrive early as "reservations" don't really work. I made a "reservation" but they had no record of it when I arrived. Luckily I got the last room. Just as I was paying the phone rang and the clerk informed someone at the airport that their room was no longer reserved.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Breal604
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2010

I hope this review will be a help to those considering staying anywhere in Chungking mansions because they are all the same, this is probably one of the best ones there!
Right, where do I start?!!
We arrived in Hong Kong as part of our travelling experience and had planned it so we were there for my 25th birthday... what a bad decision!
We entered Chungking mansions (which should be changed from 'mansions' to 'prison hostels' and wondered around the ground floor (which was full of immigrants and prostitutes trying to talk to us) looking for the correct lift up to the 'guesthouse' we were staying in.
**Do not ask anyone for help as they will take u to another hostel and make commisson from u**
We went up in the tiny lift at which point I was holding tightly on to my luggage and praying we would be pleasantly suprised when we reached our floor..NO!
Unfortunatly we were greeted by a selection of metal prison looking gates behind which were different named guesthouses. We 'checked in' and were shown to our room, if u can call it that! I was told the Hong Kong rooms were small and overcrowded but this was extreme! There wasn't even space to swing a rat let alone a cat! The shower, well, it was a hose above the toilet, and the sink was just about big enough to wash my big toe in it!
I was absolutely devastated and just wanted to get on the next flight home. We did look for other places to stay immediately, but as it was 1am by this point we had to stay put. However there was one nice man who said he'd change our room in the morning, as it was my birthday and I was in tears by that point. The room change wasn't that much of a difference but I felt a bit safer being near to the reception desk.
We made the most of our stay by going out as early as possible, cramming loads into the day and not returning until we were so tired we'd just fall asleep.
I really wish I'd have been prepared for such a shock though.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank xzoecx

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

ok, so chung king mansions is not like walking into a marble foyered 5* - think chandni chowk and like so often in india a grim exterior conceals a tidy interior, but safe enough and the location is fantastic and once you're inside it's quiet. paris also trades as singh guest house, germany guest house etc. on 2 floors. owners and staff are nice and helpful (not sure why they describe it as british owned 'cos they are all punjabi!) the rooms are very small. but clean and safe and with a/c. my friend stayed in a fancy 5* and he paid more for internet access than i paid for my room. (and paris offers free wifi!) the everest curry shop on the 1st floor also offers good grub if you need a curry fix.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LondonLeedsfan
beijing
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2010

I visited this place together with my gf, mom and grandma. We chose it randomly coz we didn't have much time, and what a mistake it was. The first floor of the building is full of weird people, mostly men, trying to sell you something and was very scary for my gf and mom. We arrived at the 7th floor reception, which was the reception for Paris Guesthouse, German Guesthouse and two more I don't remember.

Although I later discovered that HK is known for it's small rooms, but the rooms we where shown there were the smallest I've ever seen. I am not two calastrophobic, but I couldn't sleep in a 1.5sqm room. The second room was bigger, but so dirty, I was afraid to touch the walls.

Apparently this whole building is a whole net of Indian owned small hostels/hotels probably owned by the same person. So my biggest advise would be, when you check for hostels in HK stay away from Chunking mansions.

Two positive things -
1) location is good (but most places are in the same area anyway)
2) the receptionist was friendly

Cheers

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
The Hague
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

We booked three nights in this hostel, but cancelled the last 2 nights. The hostel is well-located near the metro-station, but the area is very dodgy. The hostel is in a shady building, and I did not feel safe here. I was very happy to be with friends, and not as a solo-traveller.

The hostel is basically one floor of very small rooms, and a mini-reception desk. No decoration, no common room. Eventually they put us in another hostel on another floor which is, apart from its name, exactly the same.

The rooms are very small, which would be fine if there is hot water, heating, clean sheets and a nice atmosphere. There wasn't.

The only good thing about this place is that the hostel has wifi and that the man at the reception desk was rather friendly and gave us extra blankets.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends