Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
dos-caras
Moscow, Russia

Scam Artists

Review of Ashoka Hostel
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 29 Jan 2013
I booked a Deluxe Private Double Ensuite room at Ashoka Hotel, Hong Kong via Hostelbookers. When we arrived to the property (Ashoka guesthouse), the receptionist said that they didn't have our reservation and could not accommodate us because the guesthouse was full. While we were trying to reach Hostelbookers on the phone, a guy from Delta Hostel (affiliated hostel) arrived and said they could accommodate us in a double room. As we found out later, the room didn't have a government license, it was dirty, filthy, stinky, not at all a 'deluxe' room we had booked, and not even intended to be used as a guesthouse. Moreover, the guy from Delta hostel offered us the following choice: either pay by night and then the price would be significantly higher then the one indicated in the Hostelbookers voucher; or pay the total amount for 9 nights. We had to choose the second option, and then it turned out that we had to pay the total amount (i.e. remaining balance PLUS the deposit we have already paid to Hostelbookers). All in all, it was a terrible experience, and I would never recommend the property. Moreover, when we asked Hostelbookers to sort out the problem, Hostelbookers contacted Ashoka guesthouse, and the latter claimed they had never seen us! That was funny, provided we had their receipt.
Date of stay: January 2013
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sky Pool
    ₹3,850
    ₹5,399
12.6 km from Ashoka Hostel
View more hotels in Hong Kong
All reviews own bathroom nathan road money exchange double bed your luggage convenient location elevator convenience
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We checked in to the Ashoka Hostel and everything was all ready. They put us on the 16th floor in the Delta hotel and that was ok. A bellman carried my bag up the stairs for me.

The Ashoka Hostel / Delta looks nice - recently redone and clean. The room had three beds and was small - however we knew this before I booked it so no surprise. Room was clean for the most part. A shared bathroom w shower - small but served our needs and the water flow was ok and hot.

Complaints are as follows:

The bed sheets were dirty and had BED BUGS. I scratched all night and took a very hot shower in the morning to make sure I didn't carry any to my next destination. The blanket also smelled and the air conditioner didn't make hot air - only cold.

The location was noisy. Nathan Road has much noise all night. Have to wait for the elevator as only 3-5 people can fit in it at any given time.

The Chungking Mansion - well unless you have ever been in it words can't describe it. Like a ghetto prison / Lower East Side of New York City. Lots of shady people all over. Sell you ANYTHING you want...

My recommendation is stay here if you have no choice or little money. ( And I mean Chungking Mansion, not Ashoka Hostel.)

The staff are friendly - the Indian guy with a turban and the Philippina girl who helped us.

A1 location for getting around Hong Kong - but never leave your wife/girlfriend or kids along there.

Room tip: Bring bedbug spray
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank MonteBurns
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Super sketchy building- but it's known to be so. Very tiny rooms, only two very small bathrooms- no way you could shower in there. Bedrooms were clean though- what can you expect for such a low rate, in HK?

Wouldn't stay again, it did the job. I didn't feel very safe as a solo female traveler.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Jessie R
Reviewed 1 June 2012

It was my first time in HK and I was looking for cheap accommodations. When I booked here, everyone I know who's heard of the place said it was the worst place on earth and I should book elsewhere. I stuck with it. It turned out to be pretty good. Downstairs is a bit sketchy with people offering you all kinds of weird things/services. But once you're in the lift headed to hotel, everything is ok. The rooms are tiny, but they're extremely clean, and that's what mattered to me. It's not like I was hanging out in there. I was in HK to visit, not stay in my room. The staff was also helpful.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank MichaelDinoC
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Affordable, clean, staff so friendly and helpful and great location.

Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We were a little skeptical while entering the building and the guest house. Inside is perfect for a budget hotel. Just book it if you are price conscious and need a superb location. Dont look at anyone in the eye/stare at people while entering the building - it appears lot of thugs walk around the building. Just mind your own business and don't talk to anyone. Just walk away if they solicit anything. Should give more than 5 points for location of the building - I would give 6 points for it. Our room had the view of Nathan road - 6 points for that as well.......

Date of stay: July 2011