1,406 results
All reviewscontinental clubharbour citynespresso machineocean terminalshopping mallcomplimentary mini barmobile phonethird floorexcellent locationfree wifiupon checkmtr stationnathan roadkowloon parkdirect accessfavorite hotelin tsim sha tsui
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed here with my friend last August 28 to September 1, 2012. Check in was done in 10mins., and the staff were nice and welcoming considering we arrived at midnight. The breakfast buffet selection was awesome. The chef was always ready to accept orders with a friendly smile, and even remembered how I liked my mushroom omelette done every single day. The hotel is conveniently located within the Harbour City Mall and is surrounded by upscale brands like Prada, Longchamp, LV, etc, so it's a fashionista's ideal hotel. Shopaholics who can appreciate a good bargain will also have a fabulous time at Nathan Road nearby. Everytime we come back from a shopping spree, the hotel concierge staff are always ready to help us with our bags. We had a habit of leaving our new acquisitions in their care before going out for even more shopping. We had a wonderful 5- day stay in this hotel. I promised myself I will come back and stay for 2 weeks.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sexybutt
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Great stay here - fantastic location very close to the action and MTR lines.
Staff all very pleasant.
My room obviously hadn't been re-vamped yet but was fine if a little dated.
I was warned I advance and on arrival about the noise - I'd have been very annoyed if I hadn't been!!! But if you are expecting to lounge around in your room, then it can get a bit annoying!
Didn't eat in the restaurant as it looked very expensive, and there are loads of places to eat - many right in the shopping centre attached.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed here with my family from 09/11 - 13/11 and this is the hotel of choice whenever our physically challenged mother travels with us to HK. We stay on the Continental Floor, checking-in is a breeze. The Gateway offers lots of convenience. The rooms are large. The pick up/drop off point is spacious so getting in & out of cars will not hold up traffic. The hotel is right where Harbour City Shopping Centre is. The staff is friendly and approachable. My only complaint this time is the sewage stench in the lobby is quite strong. They have to do something about it. Will I stay here again? Absolutely!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CChia
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This is my second stay at the MarcoPolo Gateway (MPG), Kowloon. My first stay was 5 months ago in June 2012.

It’s of 3 MarcoPolo hotels IN the Harbour City Shopping Centre itself which is conveniently located on Canton Road at the southern end of Tsim Tsha Tsui, Kowloon (the other 2 being MP HongKong & MP Prince). Hence it’s well suited for the “shopaholic”.

Like with my first stay, I booked one of their Continental Club rooms with the following key features:
32 sqm size room
free in-room wi-fi internet
flat screen (abt 46”) tv with cable channels
and all the other standard amenities (tea/coffee making, hair dryer, mini fridge/bar, safe etc)

However unlike my first stay I was not upgraded to a Continental Suite at check-in this time. Can’t be lucky every time I guess LOL.

All their Continental Rooms/Suites are located on the 14th and 15th floors. Guests in these rooms will enjoy private check in/out at and full access to their 15th floor Continental Club Lounge amenities/services. The standard of the club amenities and staff service is acceptable (7 of 10) but is not extraordinary in comparison to other hotel club lounges I have been to. If saving is a consideration then you won’t miss much by staying in one of their standard rooms.
From what I’ve gathered the MPG first opened its doors in 1982 which explains the very “80s” styled interior style & décors of their room/suite. MPG’s own description of the Continental Club rooms/suites on their official website is
“designer-appointed rooms and suites awaits you at The Continental Club on the 14th and 15th floors of Gateway hotel”
unquote
In fact MPG suite still has the box cabinets (both in bedroom and living area) which are so common in the “old days” to house the bulky CRT tv. Except now the CRT tv is replaced with a flat screen in it.
Another thing that has the “80s feel” is their room access. It must be one of the very few 4/5 star hotels in the world still using a tagkey (see picture) instead of an electronic security card for entry into the rooms. It feels very nostalgic to me.

The décor and style of the room may be slightly outdated, but it’s still very well maintained, clean and comfortable. The bathroom is generously spacious. In it one can fully stretch out both arms and not touch anything. It’s an attribute not commonly available anymore in the standard room of most hotels these days.

To their credit though, they are already in the process of doing a complete interior renovation to the ALL THE ROOMS and amenities. I am told by staffs that the renovation works are completed up to the 3rd floor to date and estimated for full completion in July/August 2013. Already they have a new/temporarily modern (albeit small) lobby. Also their main restaurant which used to be very tired looking and in the basement has being relocated to a very modern and relaxing setting on the third floor with ceiling2floor glass panels view down onto Canton Road (hence its name Three On Canton?)

So if you want to try their refreshed new rooms try staying there in late (Nov/Dec) 2013 when it’s after the HK typhoon season and the weather starts to cool. But on the other hand if it’s nostalgia that you are after, the “80s” feel of the MPG will be renovated away very soon.

For the “shopaholics” of branded items, being in and part of the Harbour City (HC) shopping centre makes the MPG an ideal place to stay in. The HC is one of the largest (if not the largest) shopping centre in HK/Kowloon. Almost every brand name (Hermes, Chanel and so many more) are all represented with an outlet there.

Come out of the MPG hotel lobby, walk through the HC shopping centre and exit at its south end is the famous HK Star ferries terminal. For just HK$2.50 (only abt US$0.30 !!!!) and you can ride the ferry across the very beautiful and scenic Victoria Harbour to Hong Kong island itself for more shopping at Central, WanChai, Causeway Bay, TaiKhoo and Stanley Markets. They are all easily accessible by public transport system (buses and MTR) after the ferry ride.

It is the same for foodies. Staying at the MPG allows for easy and convenient assess to the full spectrum of eating pleasures in HK/Kowloon, from 5star restaurants to the local “tea café”/noodles shops.

The MPG is about 10-15 minutes walk to the nearest MTR (ie Tsim Tsha Tshui) station. From it one can be connected and go almost anywhere & everywhere in HK/Kowloon.

For abt US$360/night on the “80s feel” Continental Club room and quite ordinary club lounge amenities/service at the MPG is not exactly good value. But neither is it overpriced. For now it’s priced more for its location than the experience of its rooms, amenities and service level which are acceptable but quite ordinary. It’s still lacking the elusive “WOW” factor that every guest looks for in a hotel.

But I do look forward to staying there again for the third time toward end of 2013 when it has completed the renovation of all the rooms. I hope they can then excite me with their refreshed new look, feel and staff service.

Footnote: The MPG hotel DOES NOT have a swimming pool.

Kewlmeister
Sydney Australia

Room Tip: Rooms facing Canton Road afford an interesting view of the street below. But the downside of it is the people from the office building directly across the road can look into your room. So make sure you are clothed when the curtains are drawn open.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Location location! We stayed on Continental Floor (15) which includes breakfast, high tea, and cocktails and light dinner...making it excellent value. All the staff on this floor are amazing. Have stayed in nicer rooms but no better service.Small pool in sister Marco Polo Hong Kong available for use by guest of Gateway....but no gym facilities...got our exercise walking the streets!!!

Room Tip: 1509 is one of very few rooms on Continental Floor with water view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple