“Look Good, But Tastes Awful”
Review of The Place

The Place
Ranked #159 of 8,222 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese, International
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mong Kok
Chicago, Illinois
“Look Good, But Tastes Awful”
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Stayed at the Langham Place Hotel for 3 nights and loved the hotel and was eyeing the buffet at The Place as it looked amazing. Our second night decided to try it, which was a huge mistake, not only was it rather expensive but the food was atrocious. The fish whether cooked or sushi was fishy tasting. We kept trying different things and each one was a disappointment.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
“Great food at the Place”
Reviewed 18 December 2009

This is a very nice restaurant, great choice of buffet food with good service.

1 Thank Mrs-Moondog
“Excellent Buffet Breakfast”
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I am a local and was in Mongkok area last Saturday morning (for a Tai Chi class). Specially tried the buffet breakfast because of the rave reviews on the hotel here. I was hopeful and excited before going, and felt blissful and satisfied when leaving.

I have tried all the buffets of most, if not all, of the hotels in Hong Kong in the past. This one is outstanding, in terms of variety, quality, service and ambience.

Variety: Chinese dim sum, fried noodles, congee. Unlike other hotels, dim sum here is kept in the brown Chinese steamer so that moisture in the food is preserved, the surface layer remains supple. Japanese sushi, rice, noodles and soup. All western kind like instantly prepared omellete, pancake, fresh hash brown, bacon, cereal, cold cuts, salad, yogurt, fresh fruits. It has some drinks that are rare in other hotels: it has berry mix juice (I have drunk 2 full glasses) and yakult.

Quality: Food are presented and kept in very good condition always. Regularly refilled. The only worse dish is the mixed vegetables. They are over boiled.

Service: Obviously I am a local as I was reading local Chinese newspapers. As observed, I may be the only one local while all others are tourists and guests staying in this hotel. The staff are equally amiable, friendly and nice to me. When I was asked what drinks I like, I said coffee. Usually such answer will be taken as it is, but they still went on and offered other options of cuppucino, latte etc. They are smart. In my memory, I never see my used plates remaining on my table after returning from the buffet bar.

Ambience: Area big enough, not crowded, enough sunlight. The customers here are decent, and of high standard.

I enjoy the whole 2 hours time. If my stomach was not full, I wanted to go for more rounds.....

5 Thank MissHK2009