“Fabulous Traditional chinese hotel”

Beijing Sihe Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #110 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Situated in the 'hutongs' of Beijing, it is only 15 minutes away from Wangfujing Street. The first room they showed me was too tiny and heavily decorated that I felt claustrophobic. They then changed me to a bigger and a well lit room. I liked the traditional decor- there was a tea table/sofa sort of setting, a poster bed with beautiful upholstery and beautiful lantern like lighting. The breakfast area was a little small- but tastefully appointed with books. The staff in the reception were very helpful and spoke good english. The shower cabinet was too small-my stature is thin and yet my elbows were hitting the walls!

Room Tip: Not the one near the reception
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank chk86

Reviewed 20 June 2011

1. Location: Although it is located in central Beijing, it is actually not a great location - if that is important to you. It is located near the middle of a hutong (traditional street in Beijing clustered with homes) and is a good 5 - 10 min walk from the nearest main road. And taxis generally will not take you all the way in there (they drop you along the main street) as it is a big challenge to navigate the narrow streets. The nearest subway is a good 15 - 20 min walk away, on a subway line that does not get you directly to the main tourist sites. The walk to the hotel does indeed take you by some public toilets, which, at the wrong time of the day, can assault the orofactory senses quite strongly.

BUT it is very interesting that it is located in the middle of a place where Beijingers traditionally stay. So, it is a good way to get acquainted with local sights not usually on a tourist's to-see list.

2. Staff: They have problems with English but otherwise, they are simply splendid. Helpful and tries hard to accommodate guests' requests. My main experience was with the receptionists and dining room staff; all of which were pleasant and pleasing. It probably is helpful that I speak Mandarin.

3. Amenities: None whatsoever. It is a traditional courtyard home and packed filled with rooms, as these courtyard homes (siheyuan) were and many still are; thus, there isn't the luxury of space. Then again, amenities is not why this hotel should be chosen for.

There is free Internet service but it is not wifi. A computer terminal with Internet connection is available at the dining room though.

4. Dining: Breakfast is simple fare. The food - meats and vege - provided is authentically Chinese; which can be challenging. But a more Western-style breakfast of bread (toasted or otherwise), coffee and even eggs (of your choice) is available. Good enough for me. The space is very tight though, with only 4 tables; thus, if timing is bad, it will be hard to get a place to sit and eat.

5. Rooms: As is the case for courtyard homes, there is very little space available in the rooms, especially when they try to fill it with furniture so that it is more hotel-like. There is a toilet with a good (re: modern) plumbing system and shower with hot water. This is actually an addition as traditional cortyard homes do not come with toilets (hence, the public toilets seen all over); thus, I titled this review as being not "very authentic". I was there in a very hot summer and thus, the aircon was gratefully welcomed. There is a heater in the rooms and toilets, which I did not get to try. There is a TV set in every room but exclusively of Chinese channels only.

The doors are set in old wooden frames and can be hard to close securely if the technique is not right; I bring up this point only as I had the unpleasant experience of having an inconsiderate family of guests slamming their doors to shut them as they left for their day tours at 5am in the mornings. But, in a way, this is an authentic experience since the people that lived in the same courtyard in Beijing are usually not from the same family anyway and they would have to negotiate with these as well. Also, the rooms face each other and the translucent screens / curtains mean some loss of privacy and the need to be careful even in our own guestroom.

6. Others: The attraction of this hotel is that it gives some close semblence of how most ordinary Beijingers lived (in fact, many still do). There is a rich sense of history as most of these go back a long way, despite modern additions and alterations (especially post-49). It is not going to be like a modern hotel in anyway. To some, that will be the attraction.

Honestly, if this was my first visit to China or Beijing, I would NOT choose this hotel as there are too many other challenges for a novel visit. However, having been to Beijing a number of times, I like the idea of trying out something different. I would also not recommend it for travellers with children, as I think it is not fair to put them through this.

I really loved my experience here for the reasons listed above; but, it is not a truly authentic experience as Beijingers live in much more challenging conditions. Yet, in summary, I love it. Very much.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Asperger_Singapore
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This is a very clean local hostel in inner hutong of Beijing. If you are fond of local culture, must try out this hostel. Decorations are even nicer at night, especially when all red lanterns are lightened up. Beds are comfortable, and bathroom is clean. Must try a sip of tea in the central garden. Reading under tree shade is absolute awesome. The only drawback is lacking international TV channels. But it doesn't matter, as we had preparation to fully experience the local culture. Hope more similar hostel would open in future in Beijing.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sihe for 6 nights. We normally stay in 4 and 5 star chain hotels but decided to experience a different sort of stay and we are so glad we did. The location in the hutong was just marvellous, so much local life to see we felt as though we had experienced the real Beijing and perhaps something that may disappear in years to come with the massive development of high rise accommodation for the locals. We felt privileged to experience it. The hotel was lovely and the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful and provided us with a lovely driver to experience the great wall. Our room which I think was called an executive room was excellent. Large, clean and perfectly adequate for all that we needed. To stay in a building of such an age was fantastic it oozes character and charm. Breakfast was adequate but a local bakery was visited frequently by us for great croissants and coffee. Staying in the hutong in this hotel was one of the best things we did in our time in Beijing - wonderful sights were out of your front door.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kez1955
Reviewed 24 May 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Sihe Courtyard Hotel for 7 days in May 2011. On the second day we visited the Great Wall (with an outstanding guide recommended by the hotel - Alan Feng), where I hurt my foot.
That evening, I thought a massage would be helpful and sought the advice of the hotel. They recommended a doctor of traditional chinese medicine and arranged for us to be taken to his consulting rooms. He advised a visit to the hospital, and accompanied us. With the Sihe Hotel Receptionist acting as translator over the phone, the orthopaedic surgeon explained that I had a fracture and was given crutches and an orthopaedic boot. My husband and I subsequently decided that we would continue with our holiday and hired a wheelchair.

The Sihe hotel staff were fantastically helpful throughout our entire stay, and particularly with helping us on the evening I sustained the injury. The hotel was charming, spotlessly clean, quiet, and the location in the hutong was very interesting for us. We enjoyed the exposure to everyday Chinese life.

Breakfast was simple but perfectly adequate. Most evenings we ordered in food from the menu provided by the hotel. All those meals were really really good and incredibly good value.

All in all we had a wonderful stay and would stay again. The thing that particularly remains in our mind is the charm and helpfulness of the staff - more so than in any other hotel we stayed in whilst in China.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple