“Great hotel, great service, okay location”

Grand Mercure Beijing Central
Ranked #96 of 6,492 Hotels in Beijing
Perth, Australia
“Great hotel, great service, okay location”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights to ensure we could see all the sights in Beijing and the surrounding area. Once we got the hang of the train system the Xidan stop nearby made things very easy. Some taxis had no idea where it was despite the name and address being given. Service was great but the lack of complementary breakfast was a bit frustrating and is something I have learnt to expect from Accor hospitality. Very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Poprad, Slovakia
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel in november 2011 during my business trip and then again in January 2012 during my vacation, because I was satisfied with its locality, services, room. Hotel is realy easy accessible from airport - via Airport express and subway, so You dont need to take taxi and after 40 minutes You can reach Your hotel. Hotel is in a good location, forbidden city and Tien an men square is event with walking distance. All the others sightseeings are accessible by subway. Hotel has wi-fi, but only at the reception and lobby area, not in the room, but You can have high speed internet for extra charge. Hotel has its own fittness, swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi - surprisingly almost no people using it, so we had really enough space for swimming. Staff was helpful, even their english was realy only basic.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank erikchorvat
Korea
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel over New Years 2011/2012. The room was spacious and clean. It had two single beds, a complete bathroom (not an Asian shower, but a real tub and shower), in room safe, television with an HBO movie channel, robes and slippers etc. The hotel has a bar area with free wifi, a nice gym, hot tub, swimming pool (bring a bathing cap) and saunas in respective locker rooms. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My largest complaint is that the hotel restaurants and room service menu are practically extortion. If you can avoid eating at the hotel, do it.

The hotel is right at Xidan subway station. This station takes you to Tienanmen, Wangfujing, the China World Center and the Silk Market. The subways are extremely easy to take.

My complaints about the hotel:

The food prices-sometimes after a day of sightseeing, you just want to eat in your room and watch a movie...but don't. The food isn't spectacular either.

The hallways were not vacuumed enough. While heading down to the spa area in robes and slippers, my slippers contracted plenty of black hairs on them (I'm blonde so they weren't mine.)

Wifi or internet connection in the rooms is expensive if you're wanting it.

Aside from that, we had no trouble with the front desk staff. We were able to check in and out in a matter of minutes. The concierge had maps available and would write directions for us in Chinese. We also booked tickets to an acrobat show through the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 January 2012

At the time I stayed in this hotel it was still called Grand Mercure Xidan and they were busy refurbishing the hotel. It did need it: the rooms were a bit run down, but still comfortable and quite large. Our view was not to write home about, but we were here to tour Beijing. Check in was fast and friendly. Even though we were very early, they quickly took care for two rooms, which was comfortable. Breakfast was what you would expect from a large chain-hotel: good to reasonable quality, a lot of choice, clean. No complaints there. We also ate at there chinese restaurant 'Chinese Kitchen'. The service was excellent, food was good, but (slightly) overpriced. In a vast city like Beijing, subway-stations are never really close. But this hotel had the added bonus that there were actually two subway stations relatively close by. Because there were different subway lines, it made traveling by subway a lot more comfortable. In that respect was the location perfect.

The negatives? One very definite one was the travel agency on the ground floor. I would recommend not doing business there. We wanted to boor an excursion to thge Great Wall, the Ming graves and the spiritway. This was all very difficult and we had to pay for every detail. The spiritway was supposedly out of the way, so that would cost a lot more (it was, by the way, on road back from the Ming graves to Beijing!) In the end we turned to the friendly concierge of the hotel, who put a lot of effort into getting us a car, and that was cheaper and hasslefree.

Another warning considers paying your bill. We booked the hotel through the internet, so we wanted to settle our bill by credit card. The Accor Group requires that the hotel ASK if you want to pay in the local currency (RMB) or in your own currency (in my case the Euro). They did NOT ask and I ended up paying in Euro, but against a VERY disadvantageous rate. The hotel thus cost me a lot more than when I would have paid in RMB. After complaining when I got back home, the hotel set it right immediately, so the service is perfect, but I recommend you check that you pay your bill in RMB!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaartenMike
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I booked the hotel because first of all of the A-Club offer, then its location and lastly because it is an A-Club hotel I thought the service would be OK.

My flight was delayed for 5 hours and I arrived at the hotel at 7:30 am, tired and cold, but that did not seems to affect the checking in person's willingness to be friendly or helpful, despite me being a silver tier member. It took at least 30 minutes for him to check me in with an attitute of "you woke me up, so I will do everything slowly".

The bed was extremely uncomfortable and the towels and sheets were not of the white colour that one expects.

Despite the "DO NOT DISTURB" light being lit, room service knocked on the door to ask if we have laundry at about 8:30 in the morning. The quality of the cleaning also leaves a great deal to be desired. The dust bin was not emptied, and I am sure the floor was not hoovered either.

The door man had zero interest to obtain a taxi for you, but came alived when there are luggage in sight and we almost had to fight him to say no thank you for taking them from the lobby to the waiting car.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends