“This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Nice International Hotel

La Nice International Hotel
Ranked #3,333 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
Toronto
“This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

We checked into this "5-star" hotel as a group of more than 30 from mostly Canada and the US. My wife and I were the first in line at the front desk and gave them our passports for registering and copying to send to government office. The clerk kept piling passports from people behind us on our passports and she kept taking the passport on top for processing and copying so that our passports stayed at the bottom un-processed. I kept telling the clerk doing the processing and copying in Mandarin that this was not right and we should not be kept waiting. I was only 6 feet away and the clerk just ignored me. In the mean time there was constant interruption from guests who checked in earlier demanding for room change because the air conditioning in their room was "not working". So some of the staff had to be diverted to re-process these guests. ( We later found out that by city ordinance hotels in Beijing were not allowed to turn on air conditioning until around mid May. I suppose the front desk staff kept switching rooms for these guests because they did not want us to know that our rooms would also be hot.) I asked to see the manager for the front desk but she pretended to be very busy and ignored me as well. We finally got processed and checked into our room after more than half an hour. Needless to say the room was very hot. A call to the front desk resulted in a "technician" visit. The tecnician informed us that the air condition control was "probably" not operational and told us to crank open the vent under the window. As expected this did not work and after several more calls somebody finally told us about the city energy-saving ordinance. So we had no choice but to suffer with the rest of the guests.

On a separate day we went down to the lobby with some friends preparing to go out to do some shopping. My wife asked the front desk in English for a city map and got one. Since I was going with some other friends to a different area to shop I went to the same desk and asked for a map as well in Mandarin but was told that there were no more maps. After a while another friend went up and asked for the same map in English and promptly got one from the same female clerk that told me all maps were given out. I was quite incensed and complained to a manager, brought him to the female clerk involved and told them off in both Mandarin and English. The manager apologised and quickly found his "personal" map and gave it to me. I was later told by many people, including tour guides, that this is quite common. Most Chinese, at least those in the service industry, still kow-tow to "foreigners" and unless they get shouted at they have a tendency to ignore or give poor service to their own countrymen. This is sad and unacceptable. I spoke to these people in Mandarin out of respect for them and also because I was proud to be back on Chinese soil, having lived in North America for over 40 years.

On a slightly different note, even taking out the service component, Hungkun International was barely a 3-star hotel in my view. There were no doormen most of the time and the facility was also inadequately maintained, with sub-standard patch-up repairs in the bathrooms and common areas. The carpet in our room was unbearably filthy with hair balls abundant. The previous guest's fruit snack remnants were still sitting on the night table. I asked for a re-vacuum and got a quick 2-minute job that picked up at best 30% of the visible.dirt. The cleaning maid clearly thought I was too fussy and could not understand why I directed her to do the vacuumng and clean up.The breakfast service was also very inadequate and was not equiped to handle all the quests appropriately and effeciently.

I left my comments on the form provided with the front desk manager and have not heard any acknowledgement so far.

I strongly recommend potential hotel seekers to stay AWAY from this hotel which has no ideas on how to run a hotel business.

Room Tip: Just find another hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank PAK13
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

We stayed 3 nights at the end of March 2009 as part of a tour. The rooms are absolutely huge and very modern. You can use North American electronic devices without an adaptor and have free internet.The view is great. While located some distance from major sites, it is close to the highway.
Service was great and the breakfast buffet had a wide selection of dishes catering to different tastes. The exhange currency desk offered the best exchange rate during all our stay in China.
I would defintely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank DeMontceau
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2008

I just came back from beijing. I stayed one week in this hotel and had a very good time there. The advertises and pictures of this hotel in the Internet are not good and the room pictures are old. I was worried to find a 3 star hotel with dirty rooms. But fortunatley it was a good 5 star hotel with very friendly and helpfull staff. the rooms were beautifull and clean. Housekeeping did a good job and everyday cleaned the rooms. The mattresses were changed only if you asked and that was because of energy conservation policies. The location was a little bit far from tourist sites or shopping areas but since there is no traffic in beijing and taxi is chip this wasn't a matter at all. There is a mall in about 10 min walk. A very good chinese restaurant mainly selling fresh sea food is in the right hand of the hotel (about 5 min walk) and in the other side of the street there is a Mcdonalds. If you take a taxi in 5 min you can reach KFC and Pizza Hot.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2008

We being arranged for 7 nite stay in HongKun Hotel in Beijing. And was being told by our travel agent it was classified as a 5-star hotel. We were very excited to learn about it. After check in, to our surprise, the room space was very spacious like an palace. But, after one nite stay in HongKun, we found out that the housekeeping department was not doing a good job. We had to wash our own cup after used. Bed linen was not changed after 4 days stay. Rubbish was not clear everyday in our room. Their bath, hand, face and foot towel were very horrible, it look like rag, dark spot all over and look like footcloth. How can it be classified as an 5-star hotel in beijing. Moreover, they do not have business center for our convenient, how do it attract business tourist to stay. Overall, I strongly disppointed with the services from the HONG KUN INTERNATIONAL HOTEL.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank gugubird

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

hilo, hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2007

I stayed at the Hungkun for three nights as part of a 2 week booked tour. I was concerned about staying here as there was no info on the hotel that I found on the internet other than the hotels spotty website and the one review on trip advisor that did not paint a good picture of the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised to find a modern, 4-5 star hotel, large very clean rooms, large bath, nice gym and spa, and very good buffet breakfasts. It is located far from tourist sites, but that was not a problem on a tour as we were bussed everywhere and on my free day I found that taxis are cheap. If I were returning I would prefer to be closer to the center of town, but that has to do with location, the quality of the hotel was very good.

Stayed October 2007