“Have a guide, too many police”

Gate of Heavenly Peace (Tian'an Men)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 43.00*
and up
3-Hour Private Walking Tour to Gate of the...
Ranked #34 of 1,622 things to do in Beijing
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The largest open area in the world. Security is everywhere , we were with a guide supplied in advance by our tour company, so we did not cue to enter the square, otherwise it would have been a long day.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"passport"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It is nice to see this site in photos, but when you see it in person it takes on a whole new meaning. Quite an imposing landmark. Yes it was crowded, but the space is so big that you can still easily take plenty of great photos. The fountains in the front help to “frame” the gate. Thinking back in history to when it was used by the Emperor helps to put it into perspective of the importance of this site. Our private tour guide explained it in detail to us - I would recommend a guide to help you appreciate this more.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Prepare to go through security no matter which direction you are approaching from. You can see the gate (with Chairman Mao's famous picture) close up right in front of the gate or across the street in the square from more of a distance. Either way you can take good photos. We went there twice - once during the day and once at night. I liked it better at night, though the main square was closed the night that we went. There is no entry fee for the square or the area in front of the gate. You only pay if you go into the Forbidden City.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Tian"amen Square was close off due to a visit March 22nd, 2018 by North Korea. Lots of Police activity and the parking area was full of police and Security vehicles. Interesting to observe from beyond the barrier. A bit disappointing and somewhat worrisome. An alliance between China and North Korea may well be a frightening thought at this time.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Swarms of uniformed security forces and who knows how many undercover men? There are also virtual possies of touts and people trying to part you from your money. You probably won't experience it in a tour group but as a single western male, I was first accosted stepping off the subway by two female Chinese "tourists" from more remote Chinese cities. They wanted to go for coffee and conversation, being late afternoon and heavy security in the area I agreed. Coffee turned to alcohol and then they wanted us to do some karaoke, I lifted my glass but did not drink anything and then said I needed to go elsewhere for food. I was presented with a bill for $186USD. I laughed and argued the bill down to $35USD for one cup of tea, I smiled and threw down 5CNY(80 cents US) and started out, one girl tried to stop me but the shop owner waved her off. I WOULD NOT recommend trying this but I had great fun doing it. I also had a couple of VERY loud personal alarms with me and the knowledge there were many policemen very nearby. Back on the street, I was again approached by many women asking if I needed help, I just headed for groups of police and then watch as the women scurried off! I needed to have something to do as the gates were closed to tourist entrance by 3 PM.