All reviews youth hostel budget stay happy dragon speak good english the nearest metro station mutianyu great wall the ground floor dorm hutong tiananmen corridor
Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

12-15 min walk to Dengshikou subway and 20 min walk to Beijing Central Railway station. Emailed ahead of my arrival that I'd be arriving around 2am and not to cancel my room for the night before. No problems. Checking in and out was fast. Guy who checked me in was super nice and very helpful.
Stayed in double room with private bathroom. Room was spacious and comfy. Lots of places to eat around the corner. Heated towel rack for those of you who like to hand wash your clothes. Staying close to Beijing Station, it was easy for me to walk down and catch my train to Harbin.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank esagatu
Reviewed 28 October 2016

We are here for 1 night due to last mins trip arrangement and the room was better than our expectation.

We stay in Private room for 2 pax with private bathroom located on the groud floor, the room is spacious, well lited with good airconditioner, the bathroom is tidy and clean, even though it is a hostel, the room have almost all the basic amenities of a budget hotel.

Location is great, Shijia Hutong is a nice and clean hutong with lots of story to tell. Public transport is easily accessible, with bus stand and metro to most of the attraction within walking distance. The is a bus stand right outside the hutong which will bring us straight to the Dong Zhi Men metro station to catch the airport express, seeing that getting a taxi in Beijing seems to be the most difficult thing, this can be really handy.

Staff attitude varies, some are very friendly while some only being friendly to foreigner, although I am one but since I am not a westerner, the staff probably overlook that.

Overall is a pleasant stay and definitely worth the price paid.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank birdwithoutleg
Reviewed 16 May 2016

The Shijia hotel is better known as Beijing Saga Youth Hostel. It is defenitly not a hotel, but a hostel. We stayed in a private room with private bathroom. The room was spacious and clean, though never cleaned during our stay (and we stayed 6 nights). The bar downstairs is nice, with cheap beer and open 'till midnight. Also good breakfast for Chinese standards (egg, fruits, toast, yoghurt).

The hostel is a little far from the metro (about 10 min walk), but it's a pretty good metro line that serves al the major sights. Also the hostel lies in a tradtitional hutong which is nice to see. So location I would say is OK.

We also arranged a visit to the Great Wall via this hostel, which was a really nice tour. Even if you prefer to do everything on your own, and not by tour, I thinks the Great Wall is easyer visiting by tour, and this tour was really nice.

Overall I think a good value for money, and a good choice in Beijing.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elize010
Reviewed 10 May 2016

A good, well established hostel in an attractive Hutong. It's closer to Tiananmen Square than you might realise. Still a bit of a walk to the nearest subway station. Also, there's not a great abundance of restaurants, etc around the hotel. More just little shops selling packaged food.

The staff were very friendly, and sell stamps and post your postcards for you. They upgraded me to a queen suite, but I kind of wish they hadn't as my mattress wasn't very comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was bad. Still, they helped me carry my bags to my room, which was nice.

The hostel is good and I would stay again. Nice bar downstairs where you can buy breakfast or hang our with like minded travellers at night.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank armrestdominance
Reviewed 28 April 2016 via mobile

This is one of my favourite hostels in Beijing. The staff are very welcoming and competent in their job role, especially the bar staff Jimmy and Jeff! The happy hour deal is really good with 2 local beers costing £1.50! The rooftop is good to chill on and the area itself is quite centrally located! Denshikou metro station is 10 minute walk away, Wafujing street 15 mins and the Russian district 10 minutes away in the opposite direction. Overall I would recommend budget travellers to stay here due to its cleanliness, great staff and common area where it is very easy to meet over travellers.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jackmoore93