“Not exactly value-for-money but quite good location”

Beijing Minzu Hotel
Ranked #223 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore
“Not exactly value-for-money but quite good location”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel closed to seven times in the past 10 years when I visit Beijing. The most recent stay was three nights in early June 2011.

This hotel was a popular choice when Chinese officials host overseas guests. It could have been state-own in the past, thus the counter service reflects relatively of that level, the service standard is at time rude, even to the staff of the host organisation that did the booking. It is typical and do not expect drastic improvement. To me a decade has passed and the service standard remains relatively unchanged. Fortunately too, is that tipping is not expected.

I observed that the hotel is ageing and although it is building a new wing, not sure how existing rooms would be make new. The rooms are quite spacey, probably because it was built in the 70s and space was not an issue, ceiling was relatively tall, although lighting is generally not satisfactory for reading and working. During my last three stays, I also noticed that security of the hotel has dropped a little, allowing "special service" cards with images of western ladies to be pushed through the door. But good thing is that there was no knocking on the door yet.

There are several plus points of staying this hotel: the breakfast is quite good in terms of selection of both Chinese and Western dishes, including fruits. In fact, guests could pick up fresh fruits (usually apples, pears and peaches) outside the lift area for the floor they stayed - but that also depends on one's luck (and timing).

The other major plus point of this hotel is its location to Xidan shopping area; a major bookstore (XinHua); a small hutung residential area (just opposite the hotel) and it is almost next to a underground station that connect you to different part of the city and places of attractions.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road offer good view of the city, esp those higher up (10th floor and above)
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank PKWSingapore
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night for business. Upon check-in I was asked to check in on level 9 (if I remember correctly) which looked like an upgrade of some sort. At check in, the receptionist had really bad attitude, basically made my colleague look stupid.

Went into the room which looked nicely done up. A few minutes later as I was getting comfortable, someone slipped a business card down my room door - it was an invitation to 'extra services' for men. I went to the bathroom to find a bin for the card, only to find other adult 'accessories' readily displayed for sale. The room was comfortable enough, good-sized, and clean. The sleep was good except for the occasional noise from outside, obviously from people who had too much to drink.

Met my colleague for breakfast the next morning, and she also had the business card under her door. She went down for something to eat the night before and she saw some women who did not look like they belong there, and some vomit on the floor.

Seriously, this is a hotel that is only suitable for single men who are out there to look for fun. Don't bring your family or kids there.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Pandai
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 20 June 2010

30 days in Beijing! This was a great location and hotel. Full Chinese and Western buffet breakfast included, deluxe western room and a super location. Most everything is in within walking distance, the Forbidden Place and all the main attractions. Hotel staff was excellent and we never had a single problem. Many places to eat and all were great. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank TheGreatBunndini
london
Reviewed 15 December 2008

I stayed here for 12 nights at the beginning of December 2008. I had an 'executive' room - as did a colleague who was with me.

My colleague's first room was far too warm and the air-con was switched off so it was only blowing warm air. As such, he had to change rooms. Mine was okay. Both of our toilets got blocked during our stay, which was somewhat disconcerting! In both cases the maintenance people sorted the problem very quickly.

The staff were outstanding - very helpful and pleasant.

Would I stay there again? No, there are nicer places in Beijing where I'll stay next time.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SteveRoberts
Honolulu
Reviewed 30 August 2007

First of all, I paid US$86 per night (Y668) for a really fine, recently renovated room. That seems a little low, and I don't know whether that is because there was renovation in progress on my floor which produced low levels of noise, or because I got a discount for booking on line. One night from midnight to 5 a.m., the water was turned off, but it didn't affect me. I had a standard room which faced inward to the central area--no view, but I could see the sky. It seems to me that the renovation of this hotel, a problem for previous reviewers, is approaching completion; the hotel is just 11 stories tall, I counted.
My purpose was to see how the people in Beijing lived, what the city was, rather than to visit tourist sites. I thought the location was fine for that, near a convenience store and small shopping area, near two wonderful restaurants discussed in another review (which helped me a lot), near department stores and a big beautiful book store, and there were plenty hutongs (old fashioned neighborhoods where plain people live with narrow streets and street markets). To see all this, I did a lot of walking, which was my intention. I was often in crowds, and saw few if any other tourists. Hotel Minzu served my purpose very well.
I was impressed with my room. First of all, the entry and bathroom floors were made of two different kinds of real marble. The bathroom walls were fake marble up to the ceiling. The bathroom plumbing was modern and sharp. The beds seems slightly softer than Beijing standard hard, and each had two big pillows. The dark woods were also nice; the room was sharp in its design. The desk lamp and TV set were of high quality. Each day two small bottles of bottled water appeared; I needed more, so I bought some 1.5L bottles of water which I kept in my refrigerator.
The staff downstairs were very helpful, although I had a miscommunication with my check-in fellow who signed me up for one fewer night than I had intended. This required a separate trip downstairs with a second showing of my passport when I found myself locked out of my room. They sold me stamps to stick on my many postcards. The Minzu seemed to me to be a first-class hotel.

• Liked — not in a tourist district
  • Disliked — There were cockroaches in my room, perhaps because of the renovation going on on my floor.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo