New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Beijing Minzu Hotel

Beijing Minzu Hotel
Ranked #224 of 6,165 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore, Singapore
“Don't Stay Here Unless You Are a Single Guy Looking for 'Fun'”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night for business. Upon check-in I was asked to check in on level 9 (if I remember correctly) which looked like an upgrade of some sort. At check in, the receptionist had really bad attitude, basically made my colleague look stupid.

Went into the room which looked nicely done up. A few minutes later as I was getting comfortable, someone slipped a business card down my room door - it was an invitation to 'extra services' for men. I went to the bathroom to find a bin for the card, only to find other adult 'accessories' readily displayed for sale. The room was comfortable enough, good-sized, and clean. The sleep was good except for the occasional noise from outside, obviously from people who had too much to drink.

Met my colleague for breakfast the next morning, and she also had the business card under her door. She went down for something to eat the night before and she saw some women who did not look like they belong there, and some vomit on the floor.

Seriously, this is a hotel that is only suitable for single men who are out there to look for fun. Don't bring your family or kids there.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Pandai
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

30 days in Beijing! This was a great location and hotel. Full Chinese and Western buffet breakfast included, deluxe western room and a super location. Most everything is in within walking distance, the Forbidden Place and all the main attractions. Hotel staff was excellent and we never had a single problem. Many places to eat and all were great. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank TheGreatBunndini
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

I stayed here for 12 nights at the beginning of December 2008. I had an 'executive' room - as did a colleague who was with me.

My colleague's first room was far too warm and the air-con was switched off so it was only blowing warm air. As such, he had to change rooms. Mine was okay. Both of our toilets got blocked during our stay, which was somewhat disconcerting! In both cases the maintenance people sorted the problem very quickly.

The staff were outstanding - very helpful and pleasant.

Would I stay there again? No, there are nicer places in Beijing where I'll stay next time.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SteveRoberts
Honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2007

First of all, I paid US$86 per night (Y668) for a really fine, recently renovated room. That seems a little low, and I don't know whether that is because there was renovation in progress on my floor which produced low levels of noise, or because I got a discount for booking on line. One night from midnight to 5 a.m., the water was turned off, but it didn't affect me. I had a standard room which faced inward to the central area--no view, but I could see the sky. It seems to me that the renovation of this hotel, a problem for previous reviewers, is approaching completion; the hotel is just 11 stories tall, I counted.
My purpose was to see how the people in Beijing lived, what the city was, rather than to visit tourist sites. I thought the location was fine for that, near a convenience store and small shopping area, near two wonderful restaurants discussed in another review (which helped me a lot), near department stores and a big beautiful book store, and there were plenty hutongs (old fashioned neighborhoods where plain people live with narrow streets and street markets). To see all this, I did a lot of walking, which was my intention. I was often in crowds, and saw few if any other tourists. Hotel Minzu served my purpose very well.
I was impressed with my room. First of all, the entry and bathroom floors were made of two different kinds of real marble. The bathroom walls were fake marble up to the ceiling. The bathroom plumbing was modern and sharp. The beds seems slightly softer than Beijing standard hard, and each had two big pillows. The dark woods were also nice; the room was sharp in its design. The desk lamp and TV set were of high quality. Each day two small bottles of bottled water appeared; I needed more, so I bought some 1.5L bottles of water which I kept in my refrigerator.
The staff downstairs were very helpful, although I had a miscommunication with my check-in fellow who signed me up for one fewer night than I had intended. This required a separate trip downstairs with a second showing of my passport when I found myself locked out of my room. They sold me stamps to stick on my many postcards. The Minzu seemed to me to be a first-class hotel.

• Liked — not in a tourist district
  • Disliked — There were cockroaches in my room, perhaps because of the renovation going on on my floor.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
Woodinville, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2006

Not a bad hotel, but unless you need to be here for a reason there are better choices.

The hotel website is [--] , which I had a hard time finding before I went.

The major problem is the rooms. When you book a room, especially if you get a good deal, expect to be put into one of the old rooms. They are bad. Really bad. To liken them to a Motel 6 would be an insult to Motel 6. The room smelled bad, we could feel the springs in the bed, and the carpet was so dirty I wouldn't take off my shoes. [I've been to bad hotels in China before, but not in this price range.] So unless you specify a new room, expect to pay US$25+ a night more for a decent room. [We did, and it was money well spent.]

Once you upgrade, the rooms are pretty nice. A couple of problems (shower design is bad and we kept getting water on the floor, there is almost no closet space), but they are quite nice and clean, and the bed was fine if a tad hard for my taste.

The hotel restaurants provide a good variety of food, are pretty decent, but are quite expensive by Beijing standards. While not expensive by US upscale hotel standards, expect to pay 2x to 3x more than other Beijing restaurants for the same food.

The service is about what one should expect from a Government-run hotel: lots of staff, not very attentive service. Most of the staff do not speak much, if any, English.

A second major problem is the location. The nearest subway stations are about a 10 minute walk. It's in a mostly business district, and there's almost nothing within walking distance that would interest a traveler. If you do stay here, and want to get out without taking a taxi, I have four suggestions.
* Small convenience store: behind the hotel (to the north) there is a local shopping area; Chinese language only, but if you exit the building and turn right twice so you are heading north, make a right at the light (at Taipingqiao) and walk about 200 feet, there's a small convenience store on the left where no talking is required. Just to the left of it is a seat-less food stand with really cheap food: 1 yuan (12 cents) for a baozi. Just point at what looks good and hold up 1 finger.
* Shopping: about 10 minutes walk to the east (to Xidan road) there's a pretty big mall with a lot of stores. In addition, I'm sure there are some good restaurants there, but I never got a chance to explore. Has ATMs.
* Beijing food: if you do want to get out to eat, but don't want to take a taxi, there's a pretty decent (but not great) Beijing-style restaurant (serves Peking Duck, other dishes) close by. English menus. To get there, exit the hotel, turn east (left), and just past the CITIC bank turn north (left). It's about half a block down on the left. If you reach the Bank of China you've gone too far.
* Local food: if you're feeling a bit adventurous, there's a really good jiaozi (boiled dumpling) place about 15 minutes walk. It has an English menu and the servers speak enough English to get by. It will be the best $4 you ever spent for a meal! To get there, walk east along Fuxingmen road to Xidan road (on the north) / Xuanwumen road (on the south), turn south (right) onto Xuanwumen and walk a couple of blocks, turn west (right) onto Xinwenhua road (across from the Marco Polo Hotel), and it's about half a block on your left, big red place. [Its name in pinyin is Tianjin Bai Jiao Yuan, but to be honest I forget what is written in English. But you can't miss it, it's big and red, and the address is 12A.]

• Liked — New rooms we very nice
  • Disliked — Location, old rooms
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Jeffrey B