“Average hotel in a great central location”

Howard Johnson Paragon Hotel Beijing
Ranked #91 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
London
“Average hotel in a great central location”
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We were staying in the Howard Johnson Paragon prior to commencing our Trans-Siberian train journey to Moscow, it was booked as part of a package.

We were in a triple share which was very small compared to the rest of the hotels on the trip. I can only assume this is because Beijing hotels are very expensive! We were even given a 'free' upgrade on arrival to a better room, though I can't imagine they would have fit us into anything smaller.

The linen was clean and the room was fairly nicely decorated with all the expected mod-cons. The bathroom wasn't very private, there is a sliding door which covers the view from the bedroom, but doesn't really isolate any sound. Also the bath has a window into the bedroom which is only covered by a venetian blind. We are not prudes, but as three friends travelling together for a long time, we would at least liked to have had some privacy in the bathroom - the blind could be seen through at various angles. We ended up draping dressing gowns and bedcovers outside the window as a quick fix.

We didn't have a view of outside, our window looked into the central atrium where breakfast was served. The ventilation wasn't the best.

In the lobby you were only allowed to sit in the main plush area if you bought a drink from the little bar which we thought was a bit cheeky as we were paying hotel guests anyway. If you wanted to stay in this area you were required to sit off to the side in a tiny space of two or three sofas which were inevitably full.

Breakfast was included and it was nice. Nothing extravagant but a good choice of hot and cold western dishes. Great way to fill up for the day.

Gym seemed well equipped though I didn't use it on this trip.

Free wifi available in the lobby was a bonus.

Overall had a pleasant stay in this hotel. Whilst the space in the room was a bit of an issue, we were booked into a triple share so we couldn't expect a lot more. I did sleep really well as the beds were comfy (my friend had a roll-in bed, looked like a child's one and I certainly wouldn't have fit in it, but she slept well too, though I'm sure she would be able to sleep anywhere!)

We had an unpleasant departure from the hotel as the front desk wanted to charge us for a laundry bag which we had actually sent to the laundry department with our washing and they hadn't returned. We were then charged for drinks out of our minibar which we hadn't had. It seemed they were never in there in the first place, so perhaps check when you arrive that it is fully stocked from the previous occupants as we ended up paying otherwise we would have missed our train.

Room Tip: Twin or double room for two people would be fine but it is a bit squashed if you pay for a triple an...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travel_World_999
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I arrived the hotel midnight past 1am 11th June and was checked in a room facing the Beijing Railway Station. The noise outside especially the continous commercial 'broadcast' of cheap goods and foods from the supermarkets next to the hotels. I called to the duty manager to request for changing to a room facing the cafe hall. I was shocked by his reply - 'I could not do anything, every room is the same. I will ask the shops to stop the broadcast..' Obviously the broadcasts continued and I doubt he tried to speak to the shops. I felt like being brushed aside instead of trying to check for a less affected room and surprisingly the next day my request was granted. Also the choices at breakfast buffet are limited though it did not bother me much.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Arriving in Beijing in spring may give problems to those who have allergies. Pollen was all over the place. I suggest you bring your spring allergy medicine with you.

Howard Johnson Paragon, is conveniently located. It is right across the Beijing Railway Station, a short distance from the jianguomen subway station and taxi cabs are always available.

The hotel is also conveniently attached to the Henderson Shopping Center, where they have Mcdonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Baskin Robins, Yoshinoya and other fast food joints as well as some fine dining restaurants. Not to mention a grocery store that is foreigner-friendly way in the bottom floor of the shopping center.

As for the hotel staff, they are English-equipped. I was expecting difficulty in communicating the hotel staff as I have read in the previous reviews but I was surprised that they understood every single thing I said. The case may be that they speak English with their accent making it difficult for others to understand but then again, communication did not become a problem for me.

Breakfast is not the breakfast of champions, but they served continental food and fresh fruits aside from the typical asian breakfast fare of congee and noodles. They had croissants, danish pastries, cheese and crackers, sausages, bacon, ham and eggs and a lot of other western food. The attendant were very quick to refill your coffee or your tea too.

For the price, I must say that you get what you pay for. I was happy about staying because my expectations were much worse.

Room Tip: The inner rooms facing the atrium were warm. No windows. For 2 nights, the AC wasn't cool enough...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I booked this hotel because it had a buffet breakfast and was central contrary to several reviews that had this hotel lusted as poor quality and noisy with a limited breakfast menu. I have to say this hotel was very good to us. It was out honeymoon and with one phone call they upgraded us and everyone was so helpful. And yes not everyone spoke perfect English but they soon called someone else to assist. The position of this hotel is 100 metres from the MRT (or subway) and if you don't use this you must have more money then me. It is fun, easy and a great way to meet people and see just how nice and helpful they are.
The breakfast doesn't have all the bells and whistles that I have seen elsewhere but is a very nice breakfast and just how many goodies do you need to start the day. We got a room with an outside view against some comments complaining of the noise etc and yes we did get a higher room which cut this noise out and we found the air conditioning worked perfectly well as opposed to some comments. My only negative was only a few English speaking TV channels which whilst we didn't watch very much TV it would have been nice to have watched more than the BBC and old Star movies that repeated every few hours.
All in all I would have no hesitation in staying there again or recommending it but by all means go down the road and spend $100 more a night just for a base whilst travelling in Beijing.

Room Tip: Don't unpack and have a good look at the room and if you don't like it get straight on the p...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Suzhou, China
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel wasn't absolutely fabulous, but for our family with two teenage children, it certainly served its purpose. The positives were definitely location - you didn't even have to go outside to get to the underground (line 2), as you just went through the Henderson mall which is attached to the hotel. In the mall and surrounding area you have your western chains of fast food, eg, Starbucks, Pizza Hutt, McDonalds, KFC, as well as some lovely local restaurants as well. The hotel was great with organising taxis, and transport to the wall etc. There is also a tourist bureau across the road to help you out with more detailed tours, if needed. So yes, everything you need is at your beck and call. Staff are also nice and friendly. We read reviews in regards to noise levels but our two rooms were on the courtyard side, and the noise was not a problem for us - in fact, we found the hotel to be quite quiet.
The downfalls would be the food within the hotel. Breakfast is nothing flash, but certainly enough variety to get you off to a good start. I wouldn't recommend trying to order room service later in the evening as they claim to be 'finished' when it comes to most of the even simple dishes. The hotel does not have a pool, which in the summer time when it does get very hot, would be very nice to have. The rooms were a bit 'tired' but were definitely clean. We would have appreciated wireless internet in our rooms, but were happy enough with the plug in.
Overall, it was a positive stay for us, but if you are expecting a top range 4 or 5 star hotel, then this will not be for you.

Room Tip: I think the rooms facing the courtyard would be quieter than those facing the busy streets.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family