“Nice apartment - awkward location”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Quelian
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice apartment - awkward location”
Reviewed 22 April 2012 for a stay in April 2012
person found this review helpful

I don't want to be mean with my review.

The owner (actually his dad) was very helpful. He met us on arrival after midnight without any complaint - and again for our departure at some ungodly hour like 6 in the morning - again without complaint. Communication was good; the apartment was reasonably priced; and the owners helped us with directing a luggage delivery (thanks, Qantas) and arranging meter taxis to take us to the station to leave Beijing.

The apartment is as described - two bedrooms (one double and one twin) with a portable bed for a fifth child in the large sitting room. The apartment was clean, well stocked, had wifi, a good set of kitchen equipment. The mattresses were firmer than we were used to but there was plenty of bedding to keep us warm.

The one reservation is the location - which is not correctly identified on the map. Beijing is bigger than we expected and distances that look short on a map are really very long. Hence, although the apartment is just two blocks away from the underground; two blocks away from the main station; one block away from Carrefour - the actual block sizes are huge. The underground is a good half hour's walk away. There are also limited dining options in the vicinity - although the kids loved the sweet pastry at the bakery and we liked the yoghurt and beer at the small shops in the nearby alley.

This felt like staying in real China - a real Beijing apartment - and that has plusses and minuses. On balance, an apartment nearer the underground would have been better for small children.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The friendly service
Liked least: The distance from the underground
Travelling group: Family with Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
CollinsM3...
San Diego, California
“It grew on me”
Reviewed 15 September 2011 for a stay in July 2011
people found this review helpful

Not knowing anything about this apartment other than the pictures posted and the emails between the apartment owner and me - I wasn’t sure what to expect. At the time I committed to this apartment there were no reviews. I don’t fully agree with Travel Zippers point-of-view. Having traveled to China a few times Westerns are accustomed to different standards; most of the time you just roll with it – otherwise you are going to have a horrible time. So, with that in mind, I offer a detailed review of this apartment.

The owners, were helpful and kind. We were in communication a month before I arrived. They offered their help in getting from the Peking Int'l Airport to the apartment, showed me everything in the apartment and how to work the appliances, and I was able to contact them (via email) and expect a response in an hour or two.

If you are looking for a local Beijing experience or are traveling to Beijing with a family I would recommend this apartment to you. If you are a single, avid traveler, or youngish traveler not looking for the ‘local’ experience, I would direct you to continue looking.

I enjoyed my two-month stay at Poly Rose. I agree that the apartment has real possibilities. The apartment is a modern-Western style with a college dorm feel (mix matched furniture). The apartment is a two-bedroom, one bath, fully functioning kitchen, and washer. There is an air conditioning unit in the main living area and the master bedroom. The second bedroom has two twin-beds with no a/c unit. The bathroom is western (toilet, walk-in shower), however, towards the end of the second month the drain in the shower began to back up, but it was workable. As you will learn, in China you are lucky to have full waterpower showers, but you cannot consistently run at full power (as you shower) or else you will flood the bathroom. Its just part of the drainage system – it goes with no toilet paper in the toilet. The apartment comes stock with plates, cups, bowls, utensils – its provided by the apartment owners and I think previous guest, so its like the take a penny – leave a penny. Everything has been used previously, so a wash before using is advised.

The apartment is located in the Chongwen District. Chongwen is an old area, slowly rebuilding itself (much like Beijing and China in general) to become modern. The apartment is in local-residential area. I think I saw one other foreigner in the surrounding areas of the apartment. I wish I would have known the location of the apartment before hand. The price for the apartment is fantastic; however, unless you are a small family or looking to become a Beijing local I would advise to look elsewhere. There is no evening/night life (except for a KTV bar) and the subway is a 30-mintue walk from the apartment. Pubs and expats are found in the ChaoYang district. On a positive note, the Temple of Heaven and the Pearl Market is a 20-30mintue walk from the apartment. And, directly in front of the apartment entrance are local mini marts (a Vanguard where you can buy drinks and eggs and a Dia where you can buy everything from drinks to household items), fresh vegetables and fruit stand, and in the evening a meat/fish kebab stand husband and wife run with pretty good kebab’s for a kuai a piece and cold beer. A 2-4 minute walk up the small street in front of the apartment (leading onto Guangqumen Lu) offers 5-6 restaurants, a 7-11, a UBC Coffee, China Mobile, ICBC, and a Carrefour. And, down the main street of the apartment Peixin Lu, leading onto the main cross street Xingfu Lu) there are several more restaurants, a 7-11, McDonalds, and an ICBC.

However, the map on the trip advisor webpage for this apartment it is not correct. The apartment is not located on Qianmen E St. It’s located on Peixin Lu. The apartment is about a 25ish Yuan taxi ride to Tiananmen.

The apartment location was difficult for a majority of taxi drivers to find with directions in Chinese and a map. There was a handful that knew exactly where the apartment was; however, I spent most of the time telling the drivers how to get there. This ultimately helped improve my Chinese by giving directions, so it wasn’t a complete lost.

Lastly, the first two-week of my second month, I had no hot water in the apartment. Evidently the supplier cut the hot water the start of the month to the entire area. I let the owners know and they responded quickly with the information and offered compensation for every day I was without hot water. They also sent me an email when the hot water was supposed to be turned back on, which it was. I cannot fault the owners, it is something that happens, but I would like to commend them for compensating me.

Overall, for the price, the apartment was nice. It grew on me and become home.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Felt like home
Liked least: Location
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Korea
Reviewed 21 July 2011 for a stay in May 2011

Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Family with young children
Your age range 25-34
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
21 Jul 2011
Hi Nana,
Thanks for the positive review. You are the first Korean family we served in this apt. Korea and China are good neighbors. I will go to soul for traveling also. Hope to see you in Beijing again. Best Regards Jason
Seoul
Reviewed 19 July 2011 for a stay in July 2011
people found this review helpful

Your age range 25-34
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
19 Jul 2011
hello babydool, thanks a lot for your review. Korea is also a beautiful place, if possible I will plan a travel to korea and soul soon. Best Regards
Jason
TravelZip...
Orlando, Florida
“Owner seemed nice at check in. Now I understand, never judge a book by it's cover!!!”
Reviewed 29 May 2011 for a stay in May 2011
person found this review helpful

The apartment has real possibilities! However, the list is long so be patient. The owner said the apartment had air conditioning in our emails. When we arrived he said that the building maintainence had yet to begin on the repairs of the ac. The drain in the shower flowed so poorly we were only able to take a 2 minute shower to keep the bathroom from flooding. The living room furniture was disgusting. Ripped fake leather with many band aid type repairs. In our emails I enquired about cable tv. He said many channels. He did fail to mention that out of the 35 channels only one is in english. Finally became tired of sweating at night and tried the ac. It worked great. So my assumption is he was pinching pennies. Also he charged me more than the $490.00 usd in his listing...

Also, the dishes and utensils were FILTHY! The hot water pot had never been cleaned and as I was drinking tea I noticed some odd. So I peeked in the pot! YUCK!

The apartment is located at the end of a very busy very narrow street that most taxi drivers can not find. Even the english speaking taxi service was never able to pick us up from the apartment. Two nights before we were to depart, the toilet stopped working. I tried to call the owner around 9:00 pm and he never answered my calls. Now I see why no person has left any feedback as this owner has been listed on TripAdvisor for a few years.

I think there are many other apartments that I will check out next time I am in Beijing, which happens to be in 2 months.... Good luck all and enjoy Beijing, it is AWESOME!

Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
29 May 2011
Hi Mike, thank for your very informative feed back. When you are in the apt, I was not in Beijing. Therefore, It is my dad to meet you at that time. As per my dad speaking, you don't pay deposit. We offer you the apt due to the apt is available when you took train from Vietnam finally, which gave us a last minute surprise. Previous you plan to take plane to Beijing and refuse to pay deposit. Even if we are not sure your trip plan, not sure if you will choose this apt, we work very hard to clean the apt and have it ready for you. As the the AC, I think you misunderstood my dad, AC works fine but May in beijing is not the season to use AC. It is up to you if you'd like to use AC, so that you run the AC and feel it great. As for the shower, since it is very good 24 hours hot water for free and the water flow is very big and we do not limit the flow to offer you the best shower experience. To avoid the flooding you may just reduce the hot water a little. As for the furnitures in living room, we clean them very carefully. They are not totally fresh new furnitures, but they are clean and tidy.
As for the total cost to rent this apt, since the rate depends on season, May is busy season. The total is 525USD for a week, a little higher that 490 as usual. As for the hot pot/dishes, totally different from Vietnam, you can notice the hardness of water in Beijing. We can not avoid the hardness water. Therefore you can find very small white mark in dishes and hot pot. It is MgO2. As for the location of this apt, it locates in center of beijing, near the very busy road guangqumen inner street. Many and many cars running in the street, the noise will affect you. But no noise with the apt, because the apt locates in the end of the a narrow street. Quiet place for you! As for the toilet, toilet work fine, but at that time the water supply of the toilet bowl has problem. It is the water supply problem with the apt building. And the problem was resolved early morning next day.

Jason
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing