“Fantastic Stay!”

Brickyard Retreat at Mutianyu Great Wall
Ranked #1 of 1,406 Beijing B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2012

A fantastic place to kick off our holidays in China. Location is great and many walks are possible from the Brickyard---from the very easy:walks in the village; to moderate: walk to the next village for fishing(and eating); to the nearly impossible: up onto the Great Wall!
Very friendly staff and food is fantastic! Note: they only serve western, so not a place for trying out local food.
And if I must find fault, I think a door of some sort for the toilet in the bedroom would be great.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nelson T
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Brickyard Retreat at Mutianyu Great Wall

Reviewed 15 April 2012

This is a unique property, one that offers perhaps the greatest luxury for a traveler in China: peace and quiet. I visited in March, and I was happy to get away from the frenzy of Beijing at spend a quiet evening in front of the fire, chatting with my fellow guests. The next morning I realized I could see the Wall from my room, and I hiked there on a route recommended by the staff. Staying there was one of the highlights of my trip to China, and I can't imagine a better way to visit the Great Wall.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank cjstephens
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel was a pleasure to stay at, from the moment we walked in. Staff were friendly and helpful, facilities were great and we had been well-informed about facilities well before we arrived. We had a great experience at The Brickyard!

Room Tip: Rooms with the best view of the Great Wall are in Block 1, although they are a bit pricier. Well wo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Positives: car to and from Beijing came on time, the inn's architecture and location is great (you have a view of the wall from your terrace/bed), Easter brunch was great and the staff put in a lot of effort to make it nice

Negatives: management of staff. There's only one person in charge of everything, Lauren. She picks up a call while talking to us during check in. She has to be the one to take us to our rooms too so we didn't get to our room until 4pm. The other members of staff work very hard but lack training. Our room got flooded, the technician came to unblock it and left the wet rag and footprints on the floor. I rang their helpline number (there's no front desk) and that wasn't working too. I had to walk to the Lodge. The manager on duty was also taking orders of food from people. She said the technician won't clean it because its not his job. She sent one of the waiters to appease me. He came and used tissue paper to wipe the floor clean. The internet was down the following day and again it wasn't sorted until we left.

overpriced: We tried all of their 3 places, the noodle place, Schoolhouse and The Lodge. They sell a bowl of fried rice for 100RMB, a bowl of noodles for 70RMB and a bottle of water for 22RMB. The peddlers on the Great Wall sell them for 10RMB and I thought that was bad considering you can buy them for 2RMB. They take advantage of the fact that people are stuck on the wall with not much choice. At dinner time, we ate at the Lodge. They have around 15 things on the food menu. Both things we chose were not available. It took them 20 minutes to tell us they cannot serve burgers because they've ran out of burgers. So we ended up with a 100RMB fried rice.

It was nice to have experienced it once. I really hope they improve the service because it is a great place but it needs better management. I've read comments from 2010 about their service and Jim Spear said they're working on it but its 2012 now.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Irene B
jimatmutianyu, Owner at Brickyard Retreat at Mutianyu Great Wall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Irene B, This is Jim Spear. We appreciate your frank review. You stayed with us on our Easter package, which included roundtrip private transfers from Beijing, a night in the Brickyard, homemade buffet breakfast in the lodge, complimentary local transportation, complimentary coffee, tea, soft drinks (including Laoshan water in glass bottles -- we don't serve plastic bottled water), and cookies throughout your stay, and the Schoolhouse Easter Brunch (which I'm glad to know you enjoyed) for two people for Rmb 1,988. We feel our prices for lodging and food are commensurate with the cost of delivering our product, which is a stay in a very small and intimate retreat with extensive gardens away from crowds. The cafe in the Brickyard is not open to the public and does offer a limited menu. We happily help guests arrange meals at a variety of local restaurants if they prefer something else; no one is forced to dine in any of our venues. Our multi-tasking team is trained to deliver a casual but very warm and friendly style of service that nearly all of our guests seem to appreciate. We received a full report on your public complaints from our duty manager. Clearly, the shower fix should have been handled better and you should have been told immediately about an out of stock menu item. It was your experience that alerted us the lodge phone extension was out of order. Regarding the no-charge and no-password wireless internet, I used it myself with no problem at the Brickyard on both Saturday and Sunday so I'm not sure what issue you encountered. In any case I am truly sorry that the inconveniences you encountered seem to have gotten in the way of your enjoyment of the Brickyard. Wishing you safe travels, Jim Spear, Partner

Reviewed 6 April 2012

We were looking for a nice weekend away from Beijing, and we chose Brickyard as it conveniently located closely to Bejing, only 1 hour by taxi. We enjoyed the walk through the village, a visit at Mutianya Great Wall, and a hotel free transfer to the Great Wall, was very convenient.
The room is spacious, with open space at a shower area. So it was very nice for a couple. The best thing I like in the room is that I can see the great wall from the room while I was taking a shower. The room has large windows and we enjoyed very much looking at the stars before sleeping.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple