“A must in Beijing”

Ranked #3 of 12,644 Restaurants in Beijing
Price range: US$ 50 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Houhai
Description: We are a reservations-only dining experience offering a set menu of ten courses and two wine pairings in an open kitchen where you'll learn the secrets of Chinese cuisine.
Auckland
“A must in Beijing”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I emailed the restaurant on the off chance of getting a booking, lucky for us they were having an extra dinner on the Saturday night - which turned out to be the biggest rainfall in Beijing for 60 years. Luckily Black Sesame Kitchen was very near where we were staying so after wading through water ankle deep then knee deep we got to the restaurant. Unfortuantely we had to sit in the room off from the kitchen as at the time it was too wet at the tables next to the kitchen! The chef did an excellent job especially in the circumstances. Great 10 courses but the highlights were the dumplings, the spicy chicken and the signature dish - Black Sesame Icecream with candied battered bananas. With as much beer and wine as you want 300RMB is reasonably good value. Is definitely a must if in Beijing but book in advance.
As it is quite hard to find - look out for the Tatoo place and the entrance is beside it - you have to wind your way through some alley ways!!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank millwillies
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Dubai
“Tastiest experience in Beijing”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Well when we did find it (thank goodness they send out a search party and take the telephone number) it was well worth it – have to say a unique and tasty evening. I wish I could remember all the dishes we had on the 10 course tasting menu but I do know the belly of pork dish was a melt in the mouth best I have ever tasted, together with fab dumplings and a green bean and olive dish – totally surprising tastes just not what I thought I would experience in China. Combining that with some really good free flowing wine and a table of friendly faces from all over the world made for a really memorable evening in Beijing.

1 Thank Abigail C
BlackSesameKitchen, General Manager at Black Sesame Kitchen, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you Abigail and all the other guests who have visited Black Sesame Kitchen the last few weeks for the wonderful reviews. It’s very humbling to see we're currently listed at #1 for restaurants in Beijing!

After working hard all year, the Black Sesame Kitchen will be CLOSED for a well deserved two weeks break from 23rd July to 6th August 2012. We’ll see you in August!

If you wish to come to any cooking classes or dinner after the 6th August, please refer to our website for details or email us directly.

Because of our current Trip Advisor ranking, we are fielding a lot of inquiries for dinner. As we are a private kitchen, with only 2 tables (seating capacity of 22), it’s reservations only. We suggest guests (of 2-4) reserved a seat at our Wednesday and Friday communal wine and dines 2-4 weeks in advance to avoid disappointment. But at times we do get cancellations. So call us to check in! As an alternative, we do have cooking classes during the day.

Thank you from the team at Black Sesame Kitchen. We'll continue to strive to bring you great food and fun times!

- Michelle Tang (General Manager)
Australia
“A little hidden Gem”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We have lived in Beijing for 19months and only just got around to going. What was our problem, we have heard from friends how great it was - we were not disappointed. What a fantastic night. Yes it is a bit hard to find, as you would not think that this great place would be tucked in the back of a "living" hutong you get the "real life" experience walking through the hutong. You don't need to book with a group, but you must book at least 2-4 weeks in advance. We went on our own and met some great people at our "lounge" table and had a ball. The food was just soooo yummy and plentiful. It is a ten course dinner but trust me the servings aren't small and you leave feeling quite full. The beer and wine was always flowing. Michelle and Grace were great hosts and explained the dishes and anything we asked about China. It is a shame that you have to leave by 10pm (as there are people living around the restaurant), but it is not rushed. I will definitely be going back - have just booked for a private Saturday night dinner to farewell friends that are going back home. Do give this great place a try, you won't be sorry.

3 Thank Swerds
“Best dinner experience in china”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Very unique restaurant. Michelle made everyone feel at home right away. Conversation with other diners flowed the whole night and the food was out of this world. Favorite items: pork/pumpkin dumplings, pork belly, beef and pine nuts, dessert!

1 Thank Jgr86
Beijing, China
“Best meal I've had in Beijing”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I have lived in Beijing for almost one year and this meal is hands down the best meal and experience I've had since moving here. Everything from being greeted until it was time to leave was impeccable. The staff was so kind and knowledgeable. We had a group of 6 people sharing the main kitchen table on a Wednesday Wine and Dine night - just a fabulous atmosphere. The wine that is flowing freely is not cheap Chinese wine, but tasted like something I'd actually order in a restaurant. I can't wait to find an excuse to go again. Our 10 course meal consisted of: dumplings, fried shitake mushrooms with cilantro, a 3 Chinese mushroom dish, Sichuan chicken, pork belly, green beans with olives... I'm ashamed that's all I can remember, but believe me nothing about the meal is forgettable, I think I just had too much wine..

3 Thank Kelsie L

Been to Black Sesame Kitchen? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK