Review Highlights

Great 5 day trek

Reviewed 27 May 2018
Paul K
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

What a great way to spend a layover. If you follow the directions once you reserve your tour staff will be waiting for you once exit customs at the airport. Someone will be holding a sign with your name on it, and once you make the connection you will be on your way. You walk out to the parking lot, hop into your guises car, and off you go. My guide spoke good English but she was not very talkative, and that was fine by me( I’m not that chatty).
It takes about an hour and 15 minutes to get to the wall. You will walk from where you park to a chair lift (like a ski lift) that take you up the mountain to the wall. From there you will have time ( depends on how much time between flights you have) to rain around the wall on your own. Be prepared to get a workout in. Some parts of the wall are very steep, and the steps uneven. It doesn’t matter if you hike like I did or stand there and take it all in, it is an amazing experience. You can either ride the chair lift back down the hill, or you can take a toboggan. I suggest the toboggan, it is a unique experience.

Anyway, take the tour if you have the time. It is a great way to spend a few hour layover.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I went on a five day trek on five different parts of the Great Wall as part of a business sponsored activity. My group was lucky enough to have Peter as our guide. He was chatty, fun to be with and very knowledgeable about the various locations we visited. At the same time he managed to keep our group on schedule and where the Wall was particularly dilapidated, he made sure we moved forward safely. This trek was a once in a lifetime experience with some incredible memories made all the better by Peter who guided us each day. If I am back in this part of the world for another visit I will be sure to book early and ask Peter to guide me again.

1  Thank Paul K
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

This was the 2nd trip I have done with Peter. I had 16 people do the Great Wall hike in January. The organisation was great as was the communication and the food was excellent too!
If you're in Beijing and need something to do on a free day then I can thoroughly recommend any of the trips that Peter offers.
If you have a group then he can arrange a Taylor made trip to suit your timetable and the value is also excellent.

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

I join the Great Wall Challenge and Peter Zhao was the guide for the GREEN TEAM ! During the challenge we trekked a full 5 days with more than 60km covered (mostly the wild, non tourist part of the Great Wall) The view was truly stunning and was indeed a life time experience !

Peter is a very experienced guide and has a very funny character ! He is very accommodative and great to talk to ! He knows the route and the history of the Great Wall (both the touristy part and the wild part) He is very fit so he always run around to ensure no one is left behind and to ensure people are aware of the part where the road is not even and a steep up/down hillclimb is expected.

The wild (undeveloped) side of the Great Wall is not for anyone, in order to visit, you will need a good fitness to complete. Expect a lot of steep uphill climb (some parts you will need your hand to support) and steep downhill descent as well. Proper hiking gear is needed (hiking shoes, hat, hiking stick, backpack with water and energy bar). But no matter you decide to visit the touristy part or the non touristy part, Peter is the guide to go to !

Hope this helps =)

1  Thank leciel83
Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

5 day charity trek with Peter, our Chinese tour guide. An outstanding guy with a great big smile, a wonddrful sense of humour, attention to detail and a great deal of patience. Ask about his Kung Fu warm up sessions and watch the famous backward somersault. An absolute legend.

1  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

It may have been snowing but Peter kept us going with his humour. Punctual, flexible, and good humoured. We would definitely use him again.

1  Thank audlin
Reviewed 12 February 2018

Peter was a great tour guide and spoke very good English. The hotel pick up was useful for us and it was straightforward and well organised (Peter was expecting us), and the coach was warm and clean. Peter gave us an in-depth talk on the way to the Great Wall with lots of history on China and the Wall, it was really interesting and he was very knowledgeable.
Whilst being part of a small tour group, we had the freedom to choose our own preferred way of exploring the Wall. Peter helped with tickets for all those who wanted to take the cable car or chair lift, but we chose to hike. We enjoyed this freedom as it allowed us to enjoy our time on the Great Wall at our own pace. Mutianyu is an excellent part of the Wall to explore and we arrived nice and early (thanks to the early pick up) to beat the crowds - we had the Wall to ourselves at several points!
We had long enough to walk the Wall, about 3 hours which was ideal, and then met back for lunch with the tour group. The food was nice but fairly average on the whole. It was a convenient choice for lunch and there was a decent variety of food but it wasn't served piping hot and no drinks were included. We would have preferred to get back to Beijing quicker and not have lunch provided in the tour, but we understand it made the tour package more attractive and like I said, the food wasn't bad - it just wasn't outstanding.
Also, when we first arrived and before leaving the coach to start exploring, the coach driver was selling water and hot drinks for a bargain price which Peter explained was much cheaper than the shops and sellers at the Great Wall - a good idea.
Overall, a brilliant and efficient tour and we felt in safe hands with Peter who was a brilliant host. Good value for money, would highly recommend.

2  Thank Ashley L
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

The driver come on time, we were told about history of great wall, great tour guide Peter, and nice food

2  Thank FattahRahim
Reviewed 10 February 2018

To choose this company was very good choise.The organization, quick answers, profesional attitude.

I booked 2 tours. One day in Beijing and one day the Great Wall.
Peter was my guide bouth this days. He was very kind, attentive, especially helpful. Always doing his best, that all participants are feeling well and comfortably.
He gave us a lot of explanations and details. He is dooing very well his job.
Also the drivers are skilled and professional.
The lunch was very delicious, good variaty also for the vegetarians.
I really recommend this company.

1  Thank Martina M
Reviewed 10 February 2018

An amazing tour, and great guide. The experience was informative and the food was good I recommend this tour to anyone who wishes to visit the Great Wall.

1  Thank Omar A