“Hutong experience”
Review of Dali Courtyard

Dali Courtyard
Ranked #27 of 12,840 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Asian, Yunnan
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Houhai
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Its a very reasonably priced courtyard restaurant offering set menu only . The food is ok but atmosphere is very pleasant , Yunnan food may be spicy for some

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Friends we were staying with took us here, located in the Hutongs it would have been very difficult to find without them, but it is signposted..if you look hard enough! (taxi drop off at bottom of alley, walk about 100-150 yards, keep looking left for an even smaller alley and spot the red lantern outside...you're there!)
Romantically lit restaurant within an enclosed courtyard...not what we were expecting when we walked in so was a very pleasant surprise.
No menus here, dishes are just brought out to your table to share and you advise staff on how spicy you'd like the food (they like it spicy here so if you don't, i'd recommend you make this clear!). We had various dishes of flat fish, prawns, brocolli, beef..much more but i can't remember them all. Reaasonably priced food but as per a previous reviewer we avoided the wine which was expensive and went with the local beer Tsingtao instead.
Loved this restaurant and would definitely recommend a visit whilst in Beijing - a walk round the Hutongs afterwards completed a great night.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Our local Beijing friends took us here - we weren't sure what the expect as we hadn't had Yunnan food before but they told us it was a mix between Chinese and Thai, with the Thai influence being the chilli.

Tucked away in a side street you wouldn't think that a lovely courtyard and restaurant were hidden away. We liked the fact that there was no menu - the banquet style meal was full of flavour and variety. We did have to advise of food allergies and how hot/spicy we liked the food.

The one draw back, and I guess it's like that in a lot of places, was the price of the alcohol. Beer and wine was very overpriced, would suggest sticking to tea/soft drink rather than alcohol.

The staff and service was excellent, everyone was welcoming and friendly and the fact they could speak English was a nice surprise. Definitely somewhere that I am recommending my friends who are visiting Beijing in the future to check out!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

a restaurant in a lovely courtyard, in a traditonal Hutong. A little bit difficult to find, but once you have been there you want to come back to have good, tasty dishes from the Yunnan cuisine (one of the different Chinese cuisines). Good for friends and family who do not hesitate to enter an old courtyard house that - of course - lacks the standard of a modern 5-star-hotel.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

This was our first meal in Beijing after many weary hours of traveling and no proper food. Did it ever make a great first impression! My man friend and I devoured it in between awestruck praise for the fresh, delicious set menu.

Find it: once you get accustomed to Beijing, you could just hit the buzzy touristy shopping street of Gulou Dongajie (which means Gulou East St) until you find the little red sign pointing to the Xiaojingchang Hutong (alleyway) and it is basically the first building on your left. Or just get a taxi there.

The amazing food: the first dish we had was a salad of mint and greens with tofu marinated in a delicious fresh herby vinaigrette. I dont think I will recall all the dishes perfectly but trust me they were amazing. I think the next dish were tasty mushrooms with peppers. There was a chicken dish with fried citrus or basil leaves and there was an amazing whole fish dish with a yummy chili and herb dipping sauce. Yunnan food uses a lot of chilies in their dishes but it is not unbearably spicy for those leery of hotter food.

The service was excellent. The staff speak English for their foreign guests. The decor is quaint, like eating at your cool bohemian Yunnan aunt's home. You can show up here casually dressed. But I would recommend booking ahead as the place was packed shortly after we arrived, at 8pm on a Thursday night. If I lived in Beijing this would be my go to for guests and any time I didnt feel like cooking.

Something to be aware of: Beijing is not a place for a super cheap Asian holiday. But this is still great value. Our bill for 2 set menus and I think 4 beer (we saw people having big pretty jars of mojitos too which would really go nicely with this food) was CNY 326 which is 52 USD.

I highly recommend Dali Courtyard to anyone.

1  Thank cocorotsie