“Nice Hotel near Embassy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guangming Hotel

Guangming Hotel
Ranked #186 of 6,208 Hotels in Beijing
Aliso Viejo, California
“Nice Hotel near Embassy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Guangming hotel for 8 days. We had a very nice room. We were able to stay in a suite which was large and very modern. The hotel is immaculate and extremely modern. The bathroom lights were on a motion sensor (which caused a small problem at night when my wife got up and all the bathroom lights went on). The mattress was very firm, but I am used to a firm mattress and had no trouble sleeping comfortably. If someone has difficulty sleeping on a firm mattress, this could cause a problem.

The staff was very attentive. They spoke some English, but there was some communication problems. We paid $5 extra for the buffet breakfast and it was certainly worth this minimal cost. The restaurant was very nice. The buffet was a little different by American standards as there were many salads for breakfast and some Korean, Japanese and Chinese items on the buffet. There was cereal, hardboiled eggs and an omelette station as well.

The hotel was in the Chaoyoung district which is very close to the American Embassy. The were many restaurants and a nice shopping center within 2 blocks of the Hotel. There also was a small market on the ground floor of the hotel where you could by food and water (bottled water is recommended in Beijing). The hotel did supply 2 small bottles of water each day.

Although not related to the hotel I have to recommend two pizza restaurants near the hotel. One was called La Pizza and was located in the shopping center near the hotel. I am a pizza lover and try different placein New York, Rome and wherever I travel. The Neopolitan Margharita pizza at La Pizza was one of the best I have had anywhere. The other pizza I had was at the Kros-nest restaurant which is a little hard to find, bvut is near the embassy. This is a family pizza restaurant with good food and a really fun atmosphere. I would especially recommend it for families with children who may need a break from the Chinese restaurants.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel and think it is a great value. (as a note I found C-trip to offer the best online rates).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank mrenert
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2010

Spacious rooms for a fantastic price. Modern but cosy style. The hotel openend recently so everything is clean and neat.

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Urs_CH
Manitouwadge, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2010

Cheerful English speaking staff, a bright lobby and a clean, comfortable room made my visit much better than expected. For less than $100 USD per night, I enjoyed my stay which included a breakfast buffet of standard western dishes -- nothing spectacular but certainly a great value in a safe and welcoming environment.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night in November. The person who booked this hotel told me that it was recently remodeled right before the Olympics. With $90 a night, I was more than willing to give it a try. It's off the crazy 3rd Ring road (San Huan), so traffic seems moderate. US and Japanese embassies are within walking distance. There is a food street adjacent to it. I did not get a chance to explore it. It can be an interesting place to get a bite if you are tied of the hotel menus.

I had a single room with a king size bed. Not huge space, but plenty room for what I need. It's well decorated, modern and hi-tech, and smells clean too. The bed is very comfortable. Sheets and towels show very little use. The LCD TV has many international channels, American, French, German, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Australian ... plus many more I can't even recognize.

The breakfast was only okay, not a huge selection compared to what I had elsewhere, but not bad either for 80 yuan. I changed American dollars to local yuan at its business center at an incredible rate 6.795 while other hotels usually gave me 6.4 or even lower.

Overalll, to me, it is a smaller version of Hilton, just one block away across the street. You only pay half of Hilton's price. I will definitely stay there again next time.

• Liked — Value, Cleaness, Efficiency
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

When I booked this hotel, I had some pretty low expectations knowing that in China sometimes you get exactly what you pay for, and often even that ratio is a stretch. What a pleasant surprise I had when I got into my room, it was absolutely clean and perfect for my business trip. I had stayed at the intercontinental hotel a few weeks before in Beijing for literally 5 times the price of the Guangming, and the room was almost exactly the same. The stigma of Chinese hotels has finally been reversed, long live the Guangming...

The lobby was clean and 5 star-ish, the service was excellent, but the rooms were exemplary and this hotel is certainly one I'll go back to for all of my business trips in the future. Booking with Ctrip gave me some sort of special on free internet in my room which was another little bonus of this place. The only annoying thing was the breakfast, which though edible was certainly not anywhere close to the intercontinental. But then again, with the money I saved I made sure to treat myself to a nice brunch at a nice brunch spot in the embassy district.

A good hotel all around, and its a great location, check it out and thank me later.

• Liked — Clean, modern rooms with all the amenities of a western 5-star
  • Disliked — the breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank iamthecoley