“Fantastic Break”

Voyager Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Mombasa
Reviewed 16 May 2007

Just arrived back from Holiday at Voyager and felt had to make some comments.
Flew with Monarch, yes the seats were a little cramped, but apart from that, service was good, food acceptable and entertainment kept me amused. Waht all the "moaners" seem to forget is that this is a budget airline, so you have to make allowances!!
I went with Cosmos, never again, apart from arrival at Mombasa I didn't see him again all holiday, despite being at reception every time he was supposed to appear. He didn't even turn up for the welcome meeting!
However, back to the Voyager, I found it superb, staff brilliant, I was on my own and they all were happy to spend time chatting to me at any time. The food was very good, always something for everyone. Entertainment was OK, just wish thay didn't mime to all the songs.
I went Scuba diving with Buccaneer, which is situtated in the hotel grounds. Not as slick or professional as my previous experience in Egypt, no check dive, my depth guage faulty on 2 dives and equipment all a bit old and worn. Having said that I saw more here than in Egypt, Sharks, turtles, rays, eels, and every kind of fish you can imagine. Prob better if you are more experienced diver, but I found it a little nerve racking.
Took 2 day safari, booked direct in Mombasa with local company, cost $275 each. Saw 2 of big 5, Buffalo and Elephant, but as was raing most of time lucky to see those. We did wee lots of others though, Zebra, Giraffe, Baboons, Impala, Hippos, Ostrich, Pelican etc...
Overall excellent holiday, recommend to anyone.

3  Thank Howard B

Reviewed 15 May 2007

24/05/07 to 04/05/07 we went to the voyager beach resort for 10days! I would go back there again!

People are friendly and the staff are friendly!

We went on a safari two days one night with Safari Hits ([--])

We went in a jeep which cost a bit more but was worth it! There was only me and my girlfriend in it! Our driver was brill we saw almost everything even the RHINO which is very rare!

The hotels activate was good everyday you play water polo, water volley ball, football on the beach, volley ball on sand etc etc!
At the night time they have different shows on to keep you entertained!

Our hotel room was basic two double beds, shower, fridge, and TV! When then clean your room they leave flowers on your bed! Remember to keep all your money in the safe don’t leave any lying around!

Food was good, there was a different theme every night e.g Italian food next day Hawaiian food etc if your not a fussy eater you will like it!

The beach, one tip for you if you don’t want to get bothered by the beach boys or sales people just say No and walk away! Don’t give them your name or you will get sucked in by them! Say No thankyou and walk away!

We went on the dolphin dehow with the beach boys and it was [--] don’t bother! You go on the oldest boat in the world, which the engine broke down on us every min! It was a waste of a day! I would recommend you do that with First Choice!

If you are going to buy wood carvings of elephants, rhinos etc etc either buy them from the wood carvings place I forget what its called it was cost you bout 2000 KES or buy them from the airport as they are cheap there as well!

Be careful in the airport as everyone wants money from you for free! Make sure you don’t go over bag limit because they will slap you for money!
If your young the will search your suit case in front or you! I think for drugs!

Tipping: Don’t tip them to much, tip them a pound or something!

If your going to the voyager you will enjoy it!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RobandTina
Reviewed 14 May 2007

Great holiday first choice was very good from start to finish would use them again payed for extra leg room worth every penny. Hotel well
where do i start great location well set out, very good quality through out, rooms were excellent did get wrong room when first arrived but when we came back from our safari it was all sorted thanks to first chioce rep who was very helpfull.

the staff were great most were very friendly & helpfull make sure you get a chance to chat to some they are a mind of information & are always willing to help.

Watch if you go on the beach as they are public & there is always someone trying to sell you something just stay firm but polite if you keep saying no they will back off plus the more you go down the less they will keep bothering you, we preffered to use shops for gifts & first choice reps for trips each to their own i guess. hotel shop very good some things very resonable but not everything so just check before you buy (gifts clothes sweets toiletries ) limited but good if you run short of anything but there is a big store not far from hotel they sell everthing you could possibly need short taxi ride not dear either taxi will come back for you just tell them how long but use hotel recomended firms only.

Hotel food very good try minestrone restaurant nice change free but have to book we never got to use seafood restaurant but sounded nice but you do have to pay a supplement. Theme nights normally a good range of food nothing to adventurous alway 5/6 veggie options mostly buffet style with some cooking stations (pasta rice fish meat ect).
Safari well if you dont go on one when you're there you're mad it was
fantastic, clyde our driver & guide was great very freindly & full of
information made the holiday very special.

We were lucky we saw 3 of the big 5 lion, elephant, & buffalo also most of the other safari animals zebra, giraffe, hippo, jackel, ect
It was great two of the three lodges we stayed at were fantastic the third was ok but not to the same standard as first two, drinks were not included but not over priced at any lodge, rooms & lodges were clean & well equipt make sure you take lots of small notes as tipping
is expected as most staff are on low wages & rely on tips 100 kenyan shillings is about 80p but dont feel obliged to tip everyone as it can get out of hand.

We had 4 other people in our van great couples still think of our time together with big smile on my face,i would say a bag of 30/40 ltr for the safari is fine per person just take old stuff as safari is dusty but lodges are smart so some good clothes are essential for meal times.kenyan immaration was slow with some big queues but nothing when you've had a holiday as good as this, a must go holiday over all a very good holiday nice hotel people & safari could'nt wish
for more hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank madbear
Reviewed 12 May 2007

What can you say about this hotel, that has not already been said, it is a fantistic place to stay, clean,friendly, quiet,and different.

This was our second visit and we are now planning our third, I took my 76yrs young father in law and he is planing to go again.

For all those people who complain about the food, get a life I am a chef and the food is of a very high standard, and better than alot in England.

If you want an up grade ring the hotel before you leave it is alot cheaper than booking with your tour operator or with the rep on arrivial.

Dont book your safaris with the rep or tour operator use a local company, the hotel allow only allow SUNSET, KENYA TOURS AND SAFARIS into its grounds. I can fully recommend Ben the operator and his best driver Francis to look after you.I have had 4 safaris and numerous other tours and fishing trips from Ben and they are all 1st class. You can contact Ben direct on [-] or his email is [-]

I cannot wait to be back at the voyager.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank mgttackle
Reviewed 11 May 2007

very nice clean hotel staff very friendly always saying jambo (hello) rooms big and kept very clean folwers put on your bed very nice. pools excellent gardens lovely very nicely maintained hotel. food was brill me and my boyfriend fussy eaters but was more than impressed with the food !! entertainment day and night very good did the glass boat morning it is a must very inexpensive. staff brill cant do enough for you

little warning about the beach boys heard that the safaris with them are good we did the dolphine dehow with the beach boys it was not what we expected it was a big let down with hidden charges if you want to see the dolphines book with the rep!! we wish we had.

went on safari with freddy from safari hits kenya(not freddy on the beach two different people) he has a website you can contact him from home it was fantastic really good value for money if you want to do a safari do it with safari hits kenya and freddy.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple