We booked the Voyager for our honeymoon and flew out on boxing day. As we had to fly on boxing day due to work commitments we were very restricted in our holiday choice- The Voyager/Mombasa would have not been our ideal destination.
We paid around £300 to upgrade to a superior sea view room and were told it would be the 'best' rooms in the hotel.
We arrived early morning to mass panic and waited 3 hours to check in. We were given a room in block D which was by no means superior. We complained to the rep 'Stacey' who could do nothing as the hotel was full. We asked various staff where the superior sea view rooms were and were pointed to Deck A. If you are going to stay at this hotel insist on Deck A or don't bother upgrading as the standard rooms are far nicer than those in Deck D anyway!. We were told by the rep and the hotel we would be compensated. The rep, after having to ask every day for 11 days, finally put an official complaint form under our door pre-signed. Since our return we have been told this is not valid as we did not fill it out with her. The fact that she then went AWOL on a day off then airport duty did not help! The hotel have also gone back on what they told us when there.
The hotel was far too busy when we went resulting in poor service, uncooked & raw food at many meal times. I can imagine when less full it would be a lot better. There is a nonsensical dress code which is interpretted differently by various staff so you never quite know if you'll get turned away. The only exception to this seems to be if you're Kenyan and then you can wear what you like. My husband was asked to leave twice while wearing smart evening type shorts at the same time they had let in other guests in swimming shorts??
The rooms in Deck D are a disgrace and have clearly NOT been renovated with the rest of the hotel. We had dirty bedding. dirty mosquito netting. exposed electrics, a broken balcony etc etc. The rooms in Deck A however are AMAZING with beautiful views, robes, slippers etc.
Honeymooners please don't come here though. There is no where really that special in this resort and they don't really bother that you're on honeymoon. My husband was approached by a prostitute on the beach on our first day (they are there every day offering 'massage') and he also had them shouting up to him when he was on the balcony.
The drinks are ok but they run out of things often- tonic/rose wine etc. we ended up buying our own wine in for new years eve to make sure we had a drink. The bottled beers that you ahve to pay for are a lot better than the draught which seems to be low/no alcohol!!
If you could get this hotel for a couple of weeks for around £700 it'd be ok- we spent near on £3000 for our 2 weeks so were totally ripped off. I'm sure given a good room and less people our experience would have been different so don't let me put you off- but romatic getaway it is not!
Buy water from the nearby (ish) supermarket as this is not included in the all inclusive which I thought was a bit cheeky.
Get up early or bribe the pool boys if you want a sun bed- again something I'd rather not do!
we booked a 3 night safari with kuoni to the Governors camp which was amazing! definatley do if you can stretch to it- or just go to the governors and don't bother with the Voyager!
The internet is not worth bothering with either as it takes about 10 minutes to log on!! the gym is a waste of space too.
I think the hotels in the south are generally better- Mombasa is not really a very nice place.
In the end we got transferred to Sun N Sand- I won't even comment on that- the name says it all.
Terrible holiday not helped whatsoever by Thomson
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Moored seven kilometres north of Mombasa city centre, Voyager Beach Resort's convenient 'berth' gives guests easy access to a huge variety of historical, sporting and cultural attractions. The vibrant themed resort is famous for hosting some of Africa's finest family entertainments and animation programs, including unique themed journeys across the seven seas, culinary extravaganzas, with very supervised kids' activities and days out with Africa's best-known and most experienced childrens' safari club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Voyager Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Voyager Beach Hotel Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Kenya
- Voyager Beach Resort Mombasa
- Voyager Beach Resort Kenya
- Voyager Beach Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Mombasa