“Quiet meeting point”
Review of The Coffee Hut - CLOSED

The Coffee Hut
Description: Across from the Holy Ghost Cathedral, one block south of Moi Ave.
Description: Across from the Holy Ghost Cathedral, one block south of Moi Ave.
Reviewed 7 May 2015

Its this quiet coffeehouse / hut that serves dinner at an underground restaurant that is simply amazing!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I really loved the hospitality. The coffee is the best dat i have tasted after touring 14 countries. Would recomend any1 there. And btw the also have Wi-Fi

Reviewed 17 September 2012

The Coffee Hut claims to offer free WiFi as per the sign on their window but it's actually working only 50% of the times I go. If you go for the WiFi service then I'd call first to see if it's working. The food is ok. Sometimes the pastries inside the case are dried out so not very appetizing. The wicker furniture is difficult to keep clean so drippings and crumbs are sure to greet you on the chairs and under the glass tabletops. The location in downtown Mombasa is superb and convenient for those who want to escape from the hustle and bustle of the street and watch the traffic speed by from the comfort of an air-conditioned cafe (when the air conditioning is turned on anyway...)

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Came a cup of coffee, Kenyan coffee at a cool looking place in town.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

I was staying at the Royal Castle Hotel on Moi Avenue. This is the main East/West street in Mombasa and at Digo Road it become Fort Jesus Road, which takes you to the Old Town and Fort. I walked out of the hotel in the morning, made a right and walked to the corner where I turned right on Digo. As I went south, The Holy Ghost Catholic Church was across the street. I went about 200 meters, crossed a small side street and went another 100 meters and on my right was The Coffee Hut (you can easily find this place because it is directly across from the very bright Total Station on the other side of the street).

I was just looking for a cup of coffee so I ducked in and was greeted by the air conditioning, tasteful modern décor and a pleasant staff. This could have been any nice upscale coffee shop back in the States. I spied the pastries and deserts in the case (and ice cream) but was skeptical. In my two weeks in Kenya I had gone into some nice places and had been routinely disappointed by the poor attempts at European and American desserts. But they had a brownie simply called “Nut” and I gave it a try. Yum! Best chocolate treat I had in Kenya. And the coffee was quite good, too!

I looked at the menu and it had a full slate of lunch and dinner choices including Kenyan and “international” dishes (hamburgers, pasta, etc.). That is usually a bad sign when they try to cater to every taste, especially foreigners. I wanted to eat authentic local food, not stuff for tourists. But then I noticed that this busy Coffee Hut was devoid of tourists and expats – except for me they were all locals. And the prices were very reasonable, there was no “tourist mark-up”.

At the end of the day I was back at the Royal Castle getting ready for dinner and I thought, “Why not try The Coffee Hut?”. So I walked back and ordered the grilled fish. It was definitely a modern take on the standard Mombasa fare but it worked – perfectly prepared, full of flavor. And again, not a single white face in the joint besides mine. In other words, this is a local favorite and they are not shilling for tourists here. Pleasant atmosphere, good food, reasonable prices, I would highly recommend it as a place to get a good meal in central Mombasa. And if you are looking for just a treat, their brownies are worth the walk! If you Google “Coffee Hut + Mombasa” you will find their website.

2  Thank Flat_Planet