“Best Camp on the Mara”

Sarova Mara Game Camp
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We have been on about 8 safaris in a number of locations on the Massai Mara and once we found the Sarova Mara, we were hooked for good. We keep coming back and bringing our friends and they also are very impressed. It is very close to the Sekenani Gate so we are thankful to end our travel over the extreme roads as quickly as possible. We are greeted by exceptionally pleasant staff and ushered directly to the fabulous dining facilities. The lodging is superb and the food is excellent. We are always treated like royalty at the Sarova and the only bad part about staying there is when it is time to go home. This is a great location to launch out from on game drives and many animals abound in the area. We are already excited about coming back to Satova Mara.

Room Tip: Book a Club Tent
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Stayed here by chance in May 2012. I had originally planned to camp out myself in a tented SUV but decided to go for more traditional lodging instead. This property consists of fully enclosed tent rooms with ensuite (private) bathrooms. Bathroom was clean and well maintained. Facilities are also clean, well kept and manicured. Food quality and choices were great (Breakfasts and Dinners). They offer great game drives and other tourist activities. There is a wifi system although it wasn't working during my stay.

You also get to experience a little song and dance by the Maasai people. This is another free little bonus that creates this atmosphere of fun and adventure.

WHY YOU WANT TO STAY HERE: Two words..Caroline and Service. Caroline is one of the managers of this hotel and she is what ties it all together. She took care of me like family, even bringing me a full breakfast after I slept in and missed the regular breakfast hours! All staff are genuinely pleasant, friendly and engaging and Caroline is always making sure that everything and everyone is in place and correct. Mohammed the bar manager is one of the best. This is now my spot in this magnificent place and I'll be back to stay at the Sarova Mara whenever I come here. (Back in Sep 2012)

Room Tip: Ask for a tent close the top of the mountain viewpoint. Alternatively, you might want a tent/room c...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2012

First, pay the extra for a club tent. It will be farther from the dining room but well worth it. We stayed in lodges and regular tents for the rest of the trip but the club tent at Sarova was the highlight of the stay. The bed was very comfortable, the food was great in both taste and variety, the rooms were clean and the grounds were stunning. It was not all roses... They turn the power off from midnight until 4AM. Hubby uses a CPAP machine at night which requires power. As requested, they left the power on the first night but the second, they turned it off. It is not too safe to walk around alone so hubby and I got dressed and went to the front desk. No one there. There was a walkie talkie that we finally picked up and said we needed assist at the front desk. Someone came and the power was restored promptly. Also, daughters cell phone 'disappeared' while we were on our morning safari. She thought maybe one of us had borrowed it so she did not report it right away. All the good things far outweighed the bad and we really enjoyed this camp the best.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a club tent. It is well worth it!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2012

After taking my travel agents on a famtrip to Maasai Mara i opted to Mara Sarova Tented Camp because all the time i have taken my clients there they come back happy with my positive comments and i get more referrals for my business and as usual what is good for my business is good for me too. On this occasion i got to stay in the club room no.65 overlooking the small water feature and next to the bush. first night was okay second night i got the real bush experience - the rock hyrax was after my sleep - i had thought after such a fruitful game tracking day what i needed was baby sleep. I could not imagine the size of the rock hyrax and the noise it was making - however i got used and focused on all the nice landscapes i had seen and the animals and i thought this was the final animal to record on my trip and without a warning he just left..what an amazing experience. I would recommend everyone going here to make use of the club tents they are spacious and offer more privacy. The staff is very friendly especially the magic lady 'ciku' she is very entertaining with a few ,magic tricks she makes sure you spend some money too on the drinks and during the day she keeps the kids entertained and in the evening the adults. Later on i discovered that i actually also needed the break from my busy work schedule and i came back to Nairobi refreshed and ready for the high season. As my agents experience that you could see all the wildlife even during the low season.
Thank you Sarova for making me and my agents enjoy our stay in the Maasai Mara.

Room Tip: Choose the club rooms for most privacy tents 65 or similar room but facing the water feature
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We had a family outing at Mara Sarova in Masai Mara and we just loved this place. Right from the entry to the hotel, game rides, food and depature...everything was excellent. The Tent Rooms were just tooo good. We got a feeling of staying in a tent without compromising on comfort, cleanliness and safety. The staff was very very good and would even go extra mile to keep you happy. WE didnot expect Jain food at this place, however there were some indian chef's and managed to prepared some decent jain food. Hotel have some good entertainment (Pool, Archery, Mini Golf and lot more) facilities apart from the game drives.
Have very pleasant memories of this place and would like to visit there once again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family