“An amazing experience”

Sarova Mara Game Camp
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Pros
- Beautiful scenery and landscape
- Right at the tip of Masai Mara, which is at the heart of the annual animal migration
- Beautifully appointed tents but with all the comforts of an indoor hotel room
- Very comfortable bed with hot water warmers placed during turndown
- Great housekeeping and turndown service
- Food at restaurants were delicious and the buffet spread was comprehensive
- I highly recommend the bush dinner where a buffet dinner is served in the middle of nowhere, under the stars, next to the bonfire after a traditional performance.. it was such an out-of-the-world experience
- Cold towels and orange juice on arrival

Con
- No direct line to reception at all
- Some rooms may find the trek to reception/drop off quite far
- (both pro and con), but electricity is shut off at scheduled times to conserve electrivity
- In my 3 nights stay, the hot water in the shower never worked and there were only cold water. I was fortunate to be staying next to a team member whose tent had hot showers. When I reported the shower issue to the reception, they told me it would be fixed that night. Turns out, it wasn't fixed. On the third day, I reported the issue to the reception again, and they told me about a pipe problem. I'm fine with the issue since I have another tent to go to, but I feel bad for those who don't. The shower defect also affected one other room next to ours. It would have been better if the reception offered us a new room, or fix the problem rather than telling us the problem.
- Internet signal goes down during certain times in the afternoon

Overall, highly recommended as it was such an amazing experience.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kceesse
MaraManager, Manager at Sarova Mara Game Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear Guest,
Firstly I would like to thank you for your patronage of our hotel and your candid feedback. We appreciate that you took your time to express both the positives and the gaps in our lodge. This will go a long way in helping us improve our services. We are currently working on installing a telephone system to ensure that guests in the tents can get in touch with the reception and indeed the outside world. We have just finalized installation of our wifi system and we have been experiencing some teething problems which have been resolved.
I sincerely apologize for the hot water problem which you experienced during your stay here. There was indeed a problem with the hot water system which has since been rectified.
We strive as always to provide our clients with Refreshing African Hospitality and trust that you will grace us with your patronage once more.
Lodge Manager

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sarova Mara Game Camp

Reviewed 31 July 2011

If you are in Masai mara national reserve, this game camp is a Must. The place is just wonderfull, the staff very profesional and helpfull and very friendly. I had met stanley at Lion Hill Lodge the previous year and I saw him this year at Sarova Mara Game Camp and he has way to just make you feel welcomed and important.

The food was very good! The tent were spectacular. Peaceful and joyfull. My friend and clients that i have recommended even rate this Camp as Very classic.

The evening entertainment was relaxing.

The lodge is also situated at strategic location for game viewing, saw all the big five. Thumbs up and 5 start from me and my wife!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive feedback of the lodge and for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you. We at Sarova Mara Game Camp are happy that our services were up to your expectations. We strive to provide the Best of Kenya cuisine to our guests in our newly refurbished restaurant. We trust that you will give us another opportunity to give you our refreshing African hospitality.
Regards
Francis Msengeti

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Staff were so welcoming and caring. The food was great. As for the rooms, everything was clean and nice. I liked the hot water bottle in the bed when i got into bed.

Room Tip: Very beautiful scenary and fresh air and relaxing. We enjoyed every bit of it.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
MaraManager, Manager at Sarova Mara Game Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your patronage of our Lodge. I am happy that you found our services meeting your standards and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will definitely share your comments with my team and we are looking forward to another opportunity to provide you with our Refreshing African Hospitality.
Welcome once again!

Lodge manager

Reviewed 27 July 2011

This hotel has rooms in the form of tents which are very comfortable. In the begining, we thought tents will be very basic but these tents are quite big and have a fully functional bath/toilet inside. The only way to shut these tents are with huge zippers! I was a little uncomfortable at first as I had huge lenses for my camera and laptop but then after the first night thought it was a very safe hotel. The hotel is electric fenced so no chance of wildlife coming inside. It is a huge hotel so expect a lot of rush during meals as they serve buffet.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your patronage of our lodge and for your positive comments above. We at Sarova Mara game camp are pleased that you found our rooms to be comfortable, spacious and to your liking. Am happy that you found the lodge to be safe and I would like to reiterate that we have 24 hr patrols of the lodge grounds and 24 hrs electrical fencing round the lodge with the safety of the guests as paramount.
Thank you once again for giving us an opportunity to provide you with our refreshing African Hospitality and hope that you will be visiting again the Mara and Sarova Hotels soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

This was a great place to stay in the Masai Mara. The tents were really superb, such a unique experience. It felt really clean and well kept. We had a smaller tent (#27) which we loved and when we saw the larger ones, were actually quite happy we had the small one as it felt more like a tent rather than a room! Agree with previous reco, try to have a higher # to get further from people/the bar. We were not bothered, despite being very close to everything.
The food was good, the meat was definitely the best part, it was great. We also enjoyed the fresh chapatis and naan bread. The desserts were not good, I stuck with fruit.
We were told there would be a full breakfast available on the morning when we left early for the safari (6:20 and we wanted to bring a little snack) but there was only tea/coffee. So our stomachs were growling till we came back later.
The one thing I didn't like was that it felt like they were constantly trying to get more money out of us by making us pay for little things that easily could have been included in the price - we had to pay for water for dinner, pay extra to bring some ice cream on the safari... Just little things that take away from the overall experience which we did pay quite a bit for.
We really enjoyed the Masai dance show one evening and the opportunity to hear more about the Masai culture. Staff in general was great!
Would've liked the pool to be open earlier (by 6am) as we like taking a morning dip!
Overall a great stay and we'd go back.

Room Tip: Go for the higher numbers. Small rooms are really cosy and feel more like a tent than the bigger ro...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
First of all I would like to thank you for your candid review of our property and services. I am glad that you found your stay to be great overall. Your comment on our desserts is noted and my team and I have already moved towards establishing why our desserts did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves in providing the Best of Kenya cuisine and your comment will assist us in ensuring we are constantly achieving that. We indeed provide tea and coffee in the morning with cookies and cakes, and the issue has been addressed closely to ensure that all guests receive the refreshments before game drives.
The dance is performed by our staff who are Maasais coming from the local area in our mission to work with the communities within which we operate. I am sure they will be pleased and proud that their presentation of their culture gave you much pleasure.
Thank you once again for your comments and we hope that you will visit the Mara and Sarova Hotels in the near future to enjoy our Refreshing African Hospitality

Kind Regards,