Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club
Ranked #43 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This was a business trip and the company's "usual" choice of hotel was fully booked, so we were looking for something comparable. We were not disappointed.

As others have said already, this is a traditional hotel and country club with a colonial feel. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The lack of air conditioning in the rooms in no way compromises comfort. No tea & coffee-making facilities in the room was the only negative. Public spaces are spotlessly clean and there are different areas to relax, read, have a drink or watch TV. Service was faultless.

The hotel benefits from a heated pool, gym and massage facilities, as well as the golf course itself. Not being a golfer myself, I can't comment on the challenge presented by their course.

Two options for eating - the pool-side "Conservatory" menu, offering snacks, pizzas, sandwiches and burgers and an à la carte menu available in the main restaurant downstairs. Food is adequate and not particularly expensive, but nothing to write home about, in my opinion. Mostly European in style, but some local dishes are on offer.

The hotel itself is situated some way from the centre of Nairobi and stands in isolated grounds, but it is still only a short 10-15 minute drive from the Village Market, with its various attractions (shopping and restaurants, primarily). The peace and tranquility of the surroundings was much appreciated, after a long day's work.

All in all, should I find myself in Nairobi again, I would choose the Windsor over the other "trendier" hotel any day.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view over the Golf Course. Some rooms are a considerable walk to the main hotel bu...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank de_wandelaar
Kimanijm, Rooms Division Manager at Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Windsor Golf Hotel & Country Club.

We are happy to learn that you had a most enjoyable time during your last stay with us and are delighted that that you were impressed by the Victorian design of the hotel. The latter is certainly a very unique and popular feature. We were however sorry to hear your disappointment with regards to the tea and coffee making facilities, please note that we provide, 24 Hrs room service. We also are in the process of installing coffee machines in all our rooms.

We would also like to thank you for recommending our hotel to other travelers coming to Nairobi and we do look forward to the opportunity of once again welcoming you to our Hotel.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I was on a business trip to Nairobi and the hotel I was supposed to be staying in fo rthe conference was overbooked.

So after a quick look on Google I found the Windsor.

Waht can I say...

It is a stunningly beautiful old fashioned colonial style hotel and country club set on a PGA 5 star rated 18 hole championship golf course.

I arrived in Nairobi late in the evening after an 18 hour journey from Prague. Queuing nearly an hour for my arrival visa ( they do NOT take Kenyan shillings...$50USD or £30GBP or Euros) and then 45 minutes in a taxi (Jambo taxis at airport charge 3500KES...around £25GBP / $40USD ) I finally arrived at WGCC.

The door was opened by the doorman and I walked into the huge open reception area to be greeted by a huge smile and asked how was my journey.
Check in was very quick and then I was taken to my room.

The bedroom was very large with 2 large beds, flat screen tv, a fridge, a fan, walk in wardrobes, writing/working area, table and 2 chairs and a very large bathroom with bath tub, WC, sink and separate walk in shower.

There is cable internet and wifi in the rooms which is free.

The style of the rooms is the same as the hotel and very colonial and dark wood floors. Beds are very comfy.

There is no aircon but this was never a problem. Plenty of plug sockets ( plug sockets take the UK 3 pin style of plug ).

A quick shower and big fluffy white towels then time for a beer.

The pool side bar is open all night and serves food as well. Excellent food choice. We ate here every night.
Local beers are good and a 0.5 litre of cold beer was 320KES (£2.50GBP / $4USD ). Later in the week we found a local supermarket and bought some at a lot lower price and kept them in the fridge in the room.

The staff at the bar could not do enough to make you feel welcome and asking if it was our 1st time in Nairobi/Kenya/Africa and how glad they were that we had chosen their country/town/hotel.

The place is also a Country Club for expats and so as it was a Saturday night there were a few groups of people sat around the pool and bar enjoying the evening.

Breakfast is served out on the terrace overlooking the 1st tee and 18th green.
Huge choice at breakfast. Hot and cold and serve yourself. And as you are in Kenya the coffee is excellent.

For anyone that plays golf the hotel is excellent.
Club hire 2000KES, ($24 / £15)
18 Holes 2600KES ($31 / £20)

You have to take out a caddy. Minimum for the caddy is 600KES which you pay direct to the caddy at teh end of the round. We paid them 2000KES each.
More than worth it. The caddies we had each time we played had worked there for over 15 years. Played off single figure handicap and were great fun to walk around with.

The course is stunning. An 18 hole championship course that is cut through an original African forest. The caddies were superb at finding any stray balls that went into the tree's.

And its the 1st time I have ever played a course that has monkeys running around wild on the course and eagles flying above you. And the views are breath taking.

Unfortunately it came to the end of the weeks business trip but for anyone visiting Kenya, business, holiday, golf, romantic break.....I cannot think of anywhere else I would recommend or would want to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms face out onto the golf course so all of them are stunning
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Tim_Owen
Kimanijm, Sales and Marketing at Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear Mr. Owen

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about The Windsor Golf Hotel & Country Club. I was pleased to note that there were positive aspects to your stay, in particular the “excellent” food choice at the pool bar. I am glad that you found our 18 hole championship golf course stunning and up to your liking. Indeed, our hotel’s Victorian architecture and its natural surrounding are some of the popular aspects preferred by many of our guests.

Our guest’s complete satisfaction is our main goal at The Windsor Golf Hotel & Country Club, and it is rewarding to learn this has been achieved on this occasion. We do look forward to the opportunity of once again welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 February 2012

Very nice and spacious hotel. Friendly and helpfully staff and management, lot's of possibility's to relax and sport. No effort is spared to make your stay comfortable. Room's are spacious and clean. No airconditionning, but due to the site and the altitude of Nairobi, no problem at all.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a beautiful vieuw on the golfcourt.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Dirk D
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We had a great time at this hotel. The staff were mostly excellent and very polite and helpful. They were very professional. Unfortunately a few appeared to be following some managers rules without due regard to making the clients feel welcome. We were at the terraces and after having snacks my wife and I decided to walk on the beautiful grounds. We approached the bridge near the golf course and saw the sign forbidding us from getting onto the course. We had no intention of violating this but were going to stand on the bridge. That's when we noticed a female guard approaching us in a way that showed she was about to arrest us or tackle us. We stopped in our tracks and retreated but felt very unwelcome. I'm sure she was obeying her boss but when a guest is paying so much money to be there, please don't make him feel like an intruder. It would be better to wait until a guest is on the golf course before sending the SWAT team. The hotel should send some of their staff on an all-expenses-paid trip to Serena Mombasa and learn firsthand what "customer Service" means. The man and woman in reservations had no idea what it cost for late checkout and after conflicting rates, they became borderline rude when I wanted to talk to the manager.
Other than those minor incidents the rooms were great (hope the water is no longer muddy though, and the shower drainage should be unclogged). The rest of the staff excellent, food superb and gym/spa top notch. We shall be back, I'm sure they will refine the service to 5 star levels.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Golf_Mountain
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed that this hotel as it was the location for a family wedding. It is a beautiful setting quite a ways outside the downtown city (45min from the JK airport). It is truly a grand hotel - though the structure itself seems to be showing its age, the numerous staff are always working to keep it spotless. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained.

Rooms - There is no AC (not unusual), but you can get a nice breeze by opening the windows and all rooms have a standing oscellating fan. The beds are VERY hard. Though the staff tried to accomodate me with some foam pads, it was still quite uncomfortable. The room and bathroom are large, though be very cautious of the step off for the shower which is quite close to the toilet and sink (we stepped off the ledge a number of times). Towels are big and fluffy and the shower with the soft water is so refreshing.

Food - Breakfast is included in the room cost and served buffet style. We took lunch at the tables around the pool. Everything we tasted was quite good.

Amenities - My husband played quite a few holes of golf with a member and proclaimed the course to be in good condition and quite challenging with narrow fairways and tough bunkers. The pro shop was a bit of a joke with just a few shirts, clubs and trinkets for purchase. There is no other shop in the hotel. Though we did not use the pool, it was quite busy while we were there. I believe this club is quite popular with local members - moms and kids swimming while dads play golf. The WiFi is nearly non-existent; I had to use the computers (for a fee) in the business office and the connection was slow most times.

Staff - The staff is eager to please, though lacking in knowledge and resources. They all worked hard to keep everything clean and nice and they were very pleasant, but they seemed a little under-trained. The hotel was very nice to keep our extra luggage while we were away on safari and very efficient in arranging for transportation to the airport and explaining the timing and costs.

Excursions - If you want to do any outside activities, I would recommend doing your own research and booking. I asked the staff at the concierge desk about trips downtown or to Karen and the staff had to call an outside tour operator who didn't really have any organized excursions ... or prices. It all worked out well enough, but there should be some literature and/or tour operator information available for guests to consider.

Overall, I believe this hotel is more of a club for members first and a hotel for guests second. The amenities are very nice but the services for guests - gift shop, tours, internet, etc - are sorely inadequate. We did enjoy our stay and would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple