See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

First of all, if you stay there, keep your valuables with you always. The toilets are without seat covers, no ventilation in the toilet. Humid, full of mosquitoes. Be careful what you order because the chef obviously doesn't know how to cook. If you can, choose another place.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2016

Stayed at the Strand for 5 days. It was a nice place. Staff were good. Breakfast was good with enough to eat and dinner was tasty and freshly cooked. The room was snuggly and room service was available at no extra cost.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank ombao2016
Reviewed 6 December 2015 via mobile

Friendly staff but were definitely on "africa time". Nothing special about this hotel at all and is somewhat in a sketchy neighbourhood. Breakfast was good. They told us the national park was open at 8 but it was actually open at 6 am when we wanted to go.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2015

I stayed at The Strand Hotel for one night in November 2015. The reservation was made by someone else and it was therefore not my choice. I paid US$ 90. The hotel is in a dilapidated part of town and thus not particularly welcoming. The room I stayed in was small with a balcony overlooking a rather well-worn apartment block. The room is small but clean although also well-worn. The bed was fine but the sheets have seen better days. There is no bedside stand or lamp. The room has only one power point, for the TV (which had 5 channels). The wifi is good when it is working but infrequently cuts out. There is no space in the room to put one’s luggage down as it is simply too small. The cupboard has only hanging space. There is a small desk area. There are no coffee making facilities in the room although there was a chipped cup and saucer.
A cleaner started sweeping the yard outside the room at 0615 and this was rather noisy as well as the staff preparing the breakfast.
The bathroom has a basin, toilet and shower. Water for the shower is heated with a device attached to the shower head that needs to be switched on outside the bathroom. This electrical device also had some exposed wiring making for a rather nervous shower experience. Guests not familiar with this system will have a cold shower, not that the water is terribly hot when used correctly. The toilet had no seat or cover and did not flush properly. There is no bathmat and the tiled floor is rather slippery. There is no hot water at the basin, so no shaving. There is no soap tray in the shower. Guests are provided with one towel and if you like showering in the evening and morning, as I do, the towel will still be damp in the morning.
I ordered a T-Bone steak with “creamy pepper sauce” for supper, except that the sauce did not arrive. When I queried this, I was told that they are out of pepper sauce. I requested that the price therefore be adjusted accordingly. The waiter and chef refused this request. I made my annoyance known but to no avail. The steak was tough and overcooked, the fries soggy and brown and the plate had a large chip in it. The service was slow and unsure.
In overview, I would not recommend this hotel as it is overpriced, the staff attitude, dishonesty, and poor quality of the bathroom.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2015

Was stuck in a 4-hour jam and missed my flight. Since I had to go early in the morning back to the airport I figured I would stay somewhere close to avoid the traffic. I was approached by one of the agents of Chez Expeditions at the airport who started by offering me their cheapest rooms for USD 120 a The Strand Hotel. I ended up negotiating for USD 80 including transport from a to the airport (which is by no means more than 1000 shillings/USD10 each way) for a budget room. When I got to The Strand and they showed me the room, I realized it could never cost USD 60 a night. I asked them to show me the rates, and effectively, the budget room was USD 20 cheaper. I tried unsuccessfully to get them to give me a room that was worth what I had payed according to their rates table. After much discussion, they agreed to show me another room, which was supposed to be from a higher category but still not one that matched the price I had payed. It looked exactly the same and I'm sure it was just another budget. In the end I ended up paying USD 60 for the tiniest single bed room I have ever seen in my life, and which was in really bad shape. The bed was very old and squeaky with damp and smelly linen. The bathroom was in pretty bad shape as well, with broken tiles and no separation between the shower and the rest. To be honest I would have rather preferred to go all the way to town and spend hours in traffic instead of staying at The Strand.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo