US$ 185
US$ 200
US$ 170
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 197/night.

US$ 113
US$ 74
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 November 2015

Was stuck in a 4-hour jam and missed my flight. Since I had to go early in the morning back to the airport I figured I would stay somewhere close to avoid the traffic. I was approached by one of the agents of Chez Expeditions at the airport who started by offering me their cheapest rooms for USD 120 a The Strand Hotel. I ended up negotiating for USD 80 including transport from a to the airport (which is by no means more than 1000 shillings/USD10 each way) for a budget room. When I got to The Strand and they showed me the room, I realized it could never cost USD 60 a night. I asked them to show me the rates, and effectively, the budget room was USD 20 cheaper. I tried unsuccessfully to get them to give me a room that was worth what I had payed according to their rates table. After much discussion, they agreed to show me another room, which was supposed to be from a higher category but still not one that matched the price I had payed. It looked exactly the same and I'm sure it was just another budget. In the end I ended up paying USD 60 for the tiniest single bed room I have ever seen in my life, and which was in really bad shape. The bed was very old and squeaky with damp and smelly linen. The bathroom was in pretty bad shape as well, with broken tiles and no separation between the shower and the rest. To be honest I would have rather preferred to go all the way to town and spend hours in traffic instead of staying at The Strand.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2015

Stayed here in July 2015 with a group, so I did not choose this hotel. The place is kept very clean. We were there for 6 nights, and used their restaurant several times. Beware: we waited almost 2 hrs for our meal, granted we were a group of 16. The food was not bad. I had the chicken curry w/ veggies.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back of the building, street front rooms are subject to all the noise from traffic and night life.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Marla001
Reviewed 27 October 2014

Expat living in Kenya, needed a night in the city for an event. Went through the website and got a quick email reply from Festus who offered us a lower rate. Hard to beat that. Needed to get a second bed for a friend when he decided to join me - room changed without hesitation and again reduced rate, late departure and breakfast included, as early as 545am. Hotel was clean, service was great, people were friendly. Small charge for guard to wash my car, too. They allowed us back in the room to clean up for no charge even after late departure. Great experience. Agree a bit of maintenance on the locks might be good but room was clean, small but not where i'm going to spend my time other than sleeping in a foreign city.
Neighborhood near Nairobi West Hospital is sketchy as noted, but excellent for a place to spend the night in the city on the airport end near Nyayo stadium for a decent rate (at least for those who can go through the website, maybe limited to national id card holders? still would recommend it for others). Very typical for anyone going through an "agent" to get overcharged anywhere for anything here. If you've got internet contact the service/hotel/safari company directly and you'll do better on your own.

Room Tip: wifi was free but we didn't use it
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I happen to have stayed at The Strand Hotel in Nairobi 3 times on different times. The first I booked through airport taxi people and yes I arrived at the HOTEL and I was given my room I felt I had been overcharged. I came down and spoke with the receptionist and I they changed my room at NO EXTRA charge. And I got a bigger room with balcony overlooking the parking. My next visit I booked directly with them and from that day its been all a smooth ride. I have paid $110 through the airport people. But directly with hotel I have been paying $60 and all I can say is I am very happy to know I have a home away from my home. The staff is very kind and go out of their way to make things smooth for you. I have travelled to many countries and myself being a doctor I know you can get very bad experiences but honestly in my opinion The strand Hotel is not one of them.

I would recommend this Hotel to anyone going to Nairobi. The trick is book directly with them. They have a WEBSITE. Don't use the taxi people at the airport. They are also in business and will HAVE to put their mark up and make the price you are paying be ridiculously high.

Room Tip: The rooms on the eastern side like Room 218 which I have stayed are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Make sure you get the rate in writing on arrival because this can change! you might have to pay more on departure! Beware do not use any of the travel or tour agents at the airport, they will "negotiate" a "good" price for you, but all that will happen is you will pay a unnecessary commission fee!

Something as basic as a coca-cola is not always available in the restaurant! Not many choices on menu. Never order chicken, change of the chicken being "off" is good !

if you can, avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business