“Clean & Adequate with Good Wifi”
Review of The Strand Hotel

The Strand Hotel
Ranked #146 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 8 August 2015

Stayed here in July 2015 with a group, so I did not choose this hotel. The place is kept very clean. We were there for 6 nights, and used their restaurant several times. Beware: we waited almost 2 hrs for our meal, granted we were a group of 16. The food was not bad. I had the chicken curry w/ veggies.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back of the building, street front rooms are subject to all the noise from...
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Marla001

Reviewed 27 October 2014

Expat living in Kenya, needed a night in the city for an event. Went through the website and got a quick email reply from Festus who offered us a lower rate. Hard to beat that. Needed to get a second bed for a friend when he decided to join me - room changed without hesitation and again reduced rate, late departure and breakfast included, as early as 545am. Hotel was clean, service was great, people were friendly. Small charge for guard to wash my car, too. They allowed us back in the room to clean up for no charge even after late departure. Great experience. Agree a bit of maintenance on the locks might be good but room was clean, small but not where i'm going to spend my time other than sleeping in a foreign city.
Neighborhood near Nairobi West Hospital is sketchy as noted, but excellent for a place to spend the night in the city on the airport end near Nyayo stadium for a decent rate (at least for those who can go through the website, maybe limited to national id card holders? still would recommend it for others). Very typical for anyone going through an "agent" to get overcharged anywhere for anything here. If you've got internet contact the service/hotel/safari company directly and you'll do better on your own.

Room Tip: wifi was free but we didn't use it
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I happen to have stayed at The Strand Hotel in Nairobi 3 times on different times. The first I booked through airport taxi people and yes I arrived at the HOTEL and I was given my room I felt I had been overcharged. I came down and spoke with the receptionist and I they changed my room at NO EXTRA charge. And I got a bigger room with balcony overlooking the parking. My next visit I booked directly with them and from that day its been all a smooth ride. I have paid $110 through the airport people. But directly with hotel I have been paying $60 and all I can say is I am very happy to know I have a home away from my home. The staff is very kind and go out of their way to make things smooth for you. I have travelled to many countries and myself being a doctor I know you can get very bad experiences but honestly in my opinion The strand Hotel is not one of them.

I would recommend this Hotel to anyone going to Nairobi. The trick is book directly with them. They have a WEBSITE. Don't use the taxi people at the airport. They are also in business and will HAVE to put their mark up and make the price you are paying be ridiculously high.

Room Tip: The rooms on the eastern side like Room 218 which I have stayed are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Make sure you get the rate in writing on arrival because this can change! you might have to pay more on departure! Beware do not use any of the travel or tour agents at the airport, they will "negotiate" a "good" price for you, but all that will happen is you will pay a unnecessary commission fee!

Something as basic as a coca-cola is not always available in the restaurant! Not many choices on menu. Never order chicken, change of the chicken being "off" is good !

if you can, avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank ScotVenter
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I got stranded at the Strand "hotel" in search for a place near Nairobi airport to rest all day in between two flights. I specifically asked for a quiet room, and was assigned one that faces an apartment building where just a few meters away children were playing and screaming all day. Wifi didn't work for most of the time. The faucet in the bathroom didn't work and water was only available by operating the main faucet underneath the sink. The door was difficult to lock. There was only cold water in the shower. Toilet paper is of the kind that you need to fold 5 times before you can use it. The room is so small it just accommodates the bed; no space for luggage, or to sit and work with a computer. This is a shabby place, run down, and obviously operated to prey on unsuspecting guests that are referred to this "hotel" by an airport agency. I complained repeatedly on the various shortcomings of the room, but the only reaction of the receptionist was a silly smirk. The hotel manager was unavailable. Lunch at the hotel's restaurant was very poor, but there are no reasonable restaurants in the rather this squalid neighbourhood. The price for one night is 100 USD. In most developing countries, a place like this would cost hardly more than 15-20 USD. Avoid this hotel by al means!

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business