New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“needs updating (& my haggle guide!)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor

Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor
Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
“needs updating (& my haggle guide!)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

the hotel is not in the middle of luxor which depending on yout view point is a plus or minus. It didnt fuss me either way as its only about 2 miles (ish) from all the action and the hotel provides a shuttle that will collect/drop u at one or two spots. There is also a shuttle boat from the hotels small dock and this will drop you in the center. The only problem with the boat is that when pull up in luxor you have to get off where you can. This may mean crossing the deck of another boat (which when you see everyone else seems to be the norm) and then walking a plank to the jetty. Theres plenty of people to help you off but i wouldnt recommend it if you have a pushchair or have mobility issues.

The hotel was ok. Everyone has their own little apartment which are grouped in single storey buildings of about 6. I really liked this as you dont feel like sheep stacked in a hotel block. The food was ok but got abit samey after 4 days but then thats all hotels. What we had was ok and i have no complaints. Pool area is really nice. Theres a water play area for kids with slides and tunnels etc. My one issue is that the rooms were very old fashioned and were straight out of 1978. However in their defence building renovations were already underway so this may no longer be a problem.

I really want to mention the C word! Brits seem to have a funny idea of the C word and what it really means. I loved egypt both times we have been and feel i owe it to fellow brits and egyptians to talk about CULTURE! When in egypt the average egyptian will look at you and think: you are white you must therefore be a multi millionaire. You cant blame them, i read once that the average wage is just £400 a year. We took that in spending money! So follow a few simple things and you will be ok.

1. By the pool look after your waiter. We had the same spot and our new mate mustafa(!) was great. I recommend tipping. I doesnt have to loads just let them keep the change and you wont ever have to do more than look at your waiter.

2. Remember nothing is free. I dont mean this to scare people but to just keep them aware. Remember they earn very little so those that dont work in the tourist trade or have a shop do what ever they can. If you get out a taxi and someone comes up and asks to help with your bags they will want a tip, if you are offered a square of cardboard at the valley of kings to fan yourself then expect to pay. This guy is not being kind to you because you look red hot he thinks he is an air con engineer! (he will also have it back after you leave which i found funny. Its more of a rental than a purchase!) Again if you are at a temple etc a random may come to you and point to a carving and say this is horus this is isis this mean etc etc. Is he being friendly. Yes. Does he think hes a tour guide? Yes. Is he a tour guide? No. Will he want to be paid for the indepth knowledge you have just received? YES!!!

So how do you avoid this cultural issue? In england ignoring someone means im rude, im ignorant i have no manners. In egypt ignoring someone means, i can hear you/ive already acknowledged your service or product and im still not interested thankyou. Its simple stay quiet, dont look and walk on.

The horse and cart drivers can be a pest but again they just want your custom. I dont like them. The horses are always very thin and in bad condtion. They sometime make them charge down the street to prove how strong and fast they are. As said they want your custom so they will shout Hello to you while going past. Dont react. They are trying to see where your from. If you keep ignoring them you will eventually get bonjour, gutten tag etc as they work out what you speak. If they or any trader really keeps going and you dont like it just gesture No and say no thanks firmly. Not rudely, just firmly.

3. This is for those who are more emotionally aware. My advice: dont be emotionally aware. Some traders or sales men will use their kids to hook you in. For example a boy of 10 may come to you and ask you to buy his drawing, carving, bracelet etc because he is poor and needs money for the family and school etc. If you like what you see and you actually want it then yes go ahead but try and haggle. 9 times out of 10 his dad, uncle or big brother is 5 steps behind you making sure all is ok so dont fall for the emotional card. (you gotta love em for tryin. You wouldnt get it in m&s!) Again if you dont want it then just say no thanks and move on. Dont stand still. If your not interested keep walking. If you stop to explain why your not interested you will be there another 10 mins.

3. Last of all and my personal favourite, the haggle! The cornich or market is full of wonderfull things. It is also full of tat from china so be selective. Like in the street they can spot a brit from three temples away so have your wits about you. Everyone has the best price/best quality but they think your loaded so bear it in mind. I wanted to treat my wife to a pashmina. I bet there are 10 shops on just one side of the market that sell them and guess what? Everyone has the best price/quality! We made our selection. And i was offered a price. The price worked out to be about £55. Why so high? Well im white and he was using the C word! I did exactly what he expected me to do. I looked as if he had just slapped my mother and walked out. Before i got to the door the price came down to 30. Funny that. I did what he expected me to do. It kept me in the shop it didnt seal the deal. The next thing is unusual but not uncommon. Were offered a chair and some fruit juice so we could discuss our business comfortablly. Cut a long story short i walked out with 3 scarves for £15. They will say things like i cant afford to reduce it anymore. My children need this money. Today business is bad. Anything to stop you haggling. They have been doing this longer than you and wouldnt sell it if it meant a loss.

Haggling is actually fun, i think the respect you more for having a go. Be light hearted, have a laugh with them, have some banter. You may get an even better price if your the first or last sale of the day. Dont except the first or second price. Dont be rude or insulting. Dont think your ripping them of else they wouldnt sell it.

Hope this helps any one that is going to egypt. I thought luxor was an interesting, beautiful and exciting town. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions.

• Stayed July 2011
10 Thank sowka86
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Sowka86,

Thank you very much for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for having posted such a wonderful and a helpful review on TripAdvisor.

I truely appreciate your efforts in this issue and appreciate vrey much your praise to the staff and the services you have received during your stay with us.

It seems you become Egyptian :) as you are noe familiar with the people and the CULTURE. Yes we have to admit that the whole Egypt is passing by a very difficult situation at the moment and we should help them a little bit but of course never allow the hassle to override or to spoil your wandering down town.

I am sure that all clients would read your article and would take much benefits and tips before coming to Egypt.

We are looking much forward to welcoming you back to your second home in the not so far future, I remain with,

General Manager, Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Waterloo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We are two sisters in their 50ies and 60ies. My sister travels in a wheelchair. We had asked for an adapted "de luxe" room, close to all amenities. However, this room was located in the new part that is rather far away from everything. The room is very spacious, but the facilities for the disabled are not adequate. The room had a bathroom with only 1 washbowl. The second was removed (for wheelchair access?) and that was fully visible as the fixtures were still there. The bathroom was spacious enough for 2 washbowls and a wheelchair, so why this was done, I don’t know. Furthermore, most of the time, the disabled person is accompanied, so two washbowls are no luxury. There were not enough handles for my sister to use (and those present were placed on the wrong side or at the wrong height) and it was not possible for her to step barefoot in the shower because of the slippery floor. We asked for a plastic stool (so my sister could at least use the shower seated) and a table to put our stuff on because there was no suitable surface for this. These were very quickly provided. The walk-in shower leaked so the bathroom was always flooded. When we mentioned this, they immediately repaired the silicone joint, but since the slope of the shower floor was in the wrong direction this didn’t help much. The wardrobes had been "adjusted" i.e., the rod was placed so low that you couldn’t hang a single dress on it, so we had to hang out our longer garments anywhere in the room (on the mirror, a button of a higher cupboard...).
The beauty parlor is far below standard (very amateurish and you feel cheated) and the prices are too high for the service.
Other guests told us there were works going on at the "infinity pool" (but it could still be used) and the surrounding snacks were closed. We weren’t affected by this as we used the very nice “adult pool” every day.
We booked a visit of the Karnak and Luxor temple with Thomas Cook who has a desk in the hotel lobby and were not happy at all. It was rather pricy and the French speaking guide we asked for was extremely difficult to understand and more focused on getting us to buy souvenirs than the visit itself. He also repeated that there would be no assistance with the wheelchair other than getting in and out of the car, because that would cost extra and I can tell you I had a hard time pushing the wheelchair around.
Probably due to the low occupancy of the hotel, the food was not up to standard and the quality and daily choice decreased by the day. We had booked half board. The breakfast was very nice, with the bread freshly baked on the spot, the omelet stand and the sweet and savory buffet.
Dinner wasn’t so great. We do understand that the current situation in Egypt isn’t easy and that it must require a huge effort to keep things running in spite of the low occupancy. However, in this situation, we would suggest to replace the evening buffet by a nice barbecue with all the trimmings.
The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful, no criticism there.
Thanks to the beautiful mature and well maintained gardens, the "old" part of the hotel is the nicest, despite the rather outdated aspect of the bungalows (the color is very sad - a lick of paint would considerably brighten up the lot).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Paule B
Dear Paule B from Waterloo,

Thank you very much for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and and for publishing the experiences you have collected during your visit to Kings Island on Tripadvisor.

I am very sorry that we could not live up to your expectations concerning some of our Hotel services during your stay. The deluxe room you have stayed in was prepared and equipped especially to meet clients with difficulties needs. Thye second wash bowl in the bathroom has been removed so as to allow more space for the wheelchair inside the bathroom. The rod in the waredrobe has been lowered so as to fit with the height of the wheelchair and the client who is sitting in.

With regards to the hairdresser, I will have my word regarding their service quality. Yet the prices are announced for all the clients and they are a bit higher than down town because they have rental obligations for the place that they have to fullfill each month as well as the salaries of the staff plus the expensive metarial they have to purchase to ensure a better quality than anywhere outside.

For the evening buffets, please note that the bread shall be even more freshly baked in the evenings to be right before the opening of the restaurant in addition to more variety which shall be introduced in the desserts buffet. BBQ buffet is proposed to be served twice weekly every Sunday and Thursday.

We do appreciate very much your priase to the friendliness and the help of the staff as the Egyptian people are well known with their kind and warm welcome/ heart.

We are looking muhc forward to welcoming you back to your second home in the not so far future, I remain with,

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012 via mobile

Nice hospitality, good rooms. I have no idea about prices it was included our tour package.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Etsu A from Tokyo, Japan,
Thank you very much for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for having written such a positive review.

Cool,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

I know this resort does not really need another stellar review, but we are very well traveled and I save writing reviews for over the top amazing or terrible experiences. This resort is by far the most pleasurable place I have been in years. We travel 2 weeks a month out of the country... So I really feel I can rate it fairly.
First, it is about a ten minute drive from downtown Luxor, which makes it a blessing to return to absolute peace and tranquility. Trees and birds are everywhere. There are three amazing pools, 2 of which are infinity, overlooking the Nile. All three are warm and spotlessly clean, with team of attendants to wait on you with kindness and pampering.
The breakfast buffet is the largest and best you will find in Egypt. There is an egg station, pancakes, fruit, cheese, and anything else you could want. The room service is fast and very affordable. 40 Egyptian pounds , about six dollars, for a hamburger and fries.
The staff is so fine tuned and friendly. My daughter is pregnant and injured herself while staying here, during the elections, and the hotel turned into an emergency response team like I have never seen. Within minutes there were staff, management, the hotel doctor,and an ambulance on sight. We were treated like family, and made to feel like my daughter was the most important person on earth. They even sent a get well card signed by all staff.
If it wasn't a 24 hour trip for us to get here, we would return every year for at least a week. I can not say enough great things about this resort.
We were in Egypt prior to the elections, and because of my daughters injury during the elections. We felt safe and comfortable in Cairo and Luxor. Please come and see Egypt. The people here are so warm and caring. They too, like Americans are suffering from no business.....no tourists means no work for most Egyptians.

Room Tip: There are 3 sections to this hotel. The middle is by the serenity pool, the oldest pool. We loved th...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelimmersion
Dear Travelimmersion from Cool, CA,
Thank you very much for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for having written such a postive review.

I really appreciate your praise to the hotel and the staff with regards to thhe services provided during your stay on the island.

Our guests are always considered considered a part from our family that if even something bad happened to them, we shall never spend any efforts to get them back in the mood and in full health to make their holiday the most unforgettable one in their whole life.

once again, thank you very much for your support to the whole country and we are looking much forward to welcoming you back to your second home in the near future, I remain with,

Boston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

honestly that this was our BEST holiday EVER :-)

All the staff are extremely helpful and pleased to do anything they can to make your stay a very special one . On arrival you are greeted with smiles and a lovely cold and very welcome Hibiscus drink (much needed after a 5 hour flight! You will be asked to sign the registration card and then will be issued you room key cards and taken to your room by the new passenger/golf style buggies (these are at your disposal...just ring reception if you have any walking/health difficulties and they will gladly come and pick you up and take you anywhere on the island).

We ate in the Jolie Ville Buffet restaurant nearly every night, we did the Meal deal (available at reception) this costs 373LE per person for three nights each (you have a choice of restaurants and other offers are also available) and is well worth it as the food is well cooked, there is plenty of choice and extremely well presented and the desserts are delicious.... the Chocolate Mousse is SUBLIME! Also if something is not to your liking just ask a waiter etc and it will be sorted out straight away..BRILLIANT!

The Jolie Ville breakfast is also a delight (you can site outside by the Nile if you wish...and please don’t for get to feed a few crumbs to the lovely little white egret with the dodgy wing)....plenty of choice....from a full cooked breakfast (egg station will prepare your eggs just the way YOU like them) to fresh fruit, fresh baked croissants, breads and Danish pasties..and MORE...all totally YUMMY.

Should you have any questions or problems...please do ask a member of the reception staff, or there is a lovely guest relations lady called Amina (who is always happy to help solve any problems or answer any questions you may have). Must also say that unlike in some hotels the Jolie Ville’s General Manager Mr Urs Umbricht - is around the hotel EVERY day and is always happy to give any help or assistance you may need. If needs be, he will sort out any problems you have personally, he misses very little and runs a very tight ship......so you have no worries as any problems you may have will ALWAYS be sorted out promptly.

As I said earlier, this was our forth visit to the Island and we went there especially to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary and my Husbands Birthday...and they made it so VERY SPECIAL for us.

We WILL be back very soon XX

I would just like to say a big thank you to all the staff at the Jolie Ville...you made our recent stay one to remember....HUGE hugs to you all XX...Times are very hard at the moment in Egypt and yet they are STILL smiling, welcoming and pleased to see anyone that arrives.....Keep up the good work guys.....Stay SPECIAL....which you are... Love and hugs from Sue and Richard Forinton XXXXX

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank boxerbabe5
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Forinton,
Thank you very much for having stayed for the forth time at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for having written such a wonderful review about the hotel and the staff.

We appreciate your feedback and praise to me and Mrs. Amina as well who is never saving any efforts for pleasing the clients and making them happy. That is our duty and that is why we are here.

Yes, times are very hard in the country, yet the Egyptians are and will be always well-known of their warmth, welcoming and cheerful smile on the faces.

We are looking much forward to welcoming you back to your second home in the near future, I remain with,