1,605 results
All reviews sundowner bar opet restaurant moorish cafe carter bar nile cruise west bank taxi driver mercure luxor egyptian pounds large pool buffet style pool side winter sun watch the sunset second week each evening cleaned every day
Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

Beautiful hotel...With a great greenery around the hotel..rooms r good n staff is very helpful...food is of great quality...though the language der is Arabic but the staff speak good English..I loved the suite the hotel provided me...

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Galal R, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

Dear Guest
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Luxor Karnak.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

My wife and I stayed at the Mercure Luxor hotel for 2 weeks in January 2018. This was our second holiday at this hotel having stayed in April 2017. I won't repeat my previous positive comments from April (please read my last review). Instead I will focus on some additional and updated information which I hope travellers will find helpful.
Our room - As returning guest we received a free upgrade to a suite. The room was spacious with a separate lounge, bedroom and bathroom. We had a large ground floor terrace looking on to the tranquil and pretty gardens. The room upgrade was a nice gesture and great start to our holiday.
The staff - The hotel staff were genuinely happy to see us again and they couldn't do enough for us. We were treated like VIP's and this made our stay special. It was my wife's birthday whilst on holiday and she received flowers in our room and 2 birthday cakes. Particular thanks to Chef and Walid at the O'Nile restaurant, Mohammed, Mamhoud and Mustafa at the pool, Nasseer at the Jacuzzi/Sauna, Mohammad, Amer and Mamhoud at the bars.
Tourism - Unfortunately there are still very few European tourists in Luxor and this continues to adversely impact the local economy. Some days we were the only people sitting by the pool. We almost had the hotel to ourselves during the day. It is such a shame that more Europeans aren't coming to Luxor. It's an amazing place with amazing people, history and weather.
The warm winter weather - I usually travel with a thermometer so that I can compare destinations. The weather in Luxor was fabulous. We had 2 weeks of cloudless blue skies. The sun was warm and strong. During the day shade temperatures averaged a high of around 21c but on 3 days hit 28c. In the sun the temperature was over 35c and we were able to sunbath each day from around 8:30 to 16:00. Of a night the temperature fell to around 8c just before sunrise. The benefit of Luxor over the Red Sea resorts is the lack of a chilly wind. There was either no wind or just a gentle breeze each day. This made it feel warmer both day and night. Having holidayed in both Luxor and the Red Sea resorts several times in the winter we have found that Luxor has the better weather.
Hot water and heating - In the Egyptian winter it's important to have hot water and heating in your hotel room. We've stayed at a few hotels were the water was luke warm and the heating in the room useless. However, at the Mercure Luxor the shower was always hot and the heating in the room excellent. We went to bed warm each night !
If we could improve one thing it would be to heat the swimming pool in the winter. The pool is only heated by the sun and at this time of the year the water is too cold to comfortably swim. We did get in the pool each day just to cool off, but had to get straight back out again as it was so cold. I understand that the pool isn't currently heated due to the low number of guests and the significance expense of heating the large pool. When we came in April 2017 the pool temperature was fine, but the air temperature was at least 10c higher than now.
In summary, we had a fabulous winter sun holiday. I've recommended the Mercure Luxor to my friends and family and as a result later this year a group of 15 of us from the UK will be returning to the Mercure Luxor for a group holiday.

Room Tip: Suite 1224 has a lovely south facing ground floor terrace.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TNorthan
Galal R, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Dear M.M Northan

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Beautiful view by the River Nile. Big garden with small, green hills, lots of trees,and swimming pools, suitable for adults and children.There are places for kids activities and a play ground. We enjoyed our stay and were sorry it was only for a short time .
Food and drinks were excellent and there was a tea and coffee tray and complementary water. The staff were very helpful and everyone has beautiful,smiling face.
In short, it was a great, relaxing place, especially after a hard 14 hours travel from Alexandria by train.
The hotel is next to Karnak temple and not far from other tourist places to visit on the East Bank.
Although they have a taxi-cost guide posted in reception, it would be nice if they provided a service for transport and guided tours.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor is advisable for families with children.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank 476sami1939

Reviewed 16 January 2018

The Mercure Luxor Karnak hotel is a gated hotel, the grounds are secured and surrounded by walls, shrubs and the Nile. It was a 4-star resort at a 2-star price, although the hotel website rates itself as a 5-star hotel.

My hotel room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, although the sheets needed to be changed, and I asked for the bathtub to be cleaned as well the next day. The lock on the balcony door was broken, but no issues with security, and the Wi-Fi only connects in the lobby. What was odd, was the frequency of Chinese tourists by the bus load staying for one-night, so there is always a bus either arriving or departing, so the Wi-Fi connectivity and speed crawls at this point.

There is a price list for taxi service to different parts of the city as well as transfer to other cities which gives you an ideal of the cost of the taxi. The breakfast buffet was decent, especially the fresh omelet station. The service by the front desk and housekeeping was very good, I would recommend this hotel. The standard room pricing was 150 Euros; however I booked the room through Expedia for $41.25 CAD as a nightly room rate, outstanding price!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Galal R, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Luxor Karnak. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 3 days 2 night in deluxe room. The room and bathroom were spacious though the shower curtain was in a sad state. But I can overlook that. The lounge chairs by the nile was great to relax to read the book and watch the sunset. Don't miss the Sundowner. It's a great sunset view from there and you can enjoy drink and sheesha along with a bite. The breakfast was very disappointing though on the flip side.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank packandgo_27
Galal R, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017