“central clean frendly nice people”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Canadian Hostel

Canadian Hostel
Ranked #48 of 124 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
bouira algeria
“central clean frendly nice people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I visited the canadainhostel with Egyptian friends its a nice plase the rooms are clean and quiet the people who work there are kind and helpful the price is good it is annice place for meet people from all around the world

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
MAURITIUS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Egypt: my best trip ever. I would say that whenever you are far from home, the only place that can remind home would be a cosy, welcoming one with wonderful people. Well if you are looking for that kind of place I would definitely recommend you The Canadian Hostel.

The people:
It was my first time in Egypt and I would say its quite of a huge city and one would be really confused without help. The Canadian Hostel people besides always attentive to our slightest needs, were always keen to help and advice.
Besides, the best thing about them is their smile. They took every single query of ours with a smile and would even share their personal experience and life with us: just like family members.
The best thing about all this is that even today, more that 1 year after the trip to Egypt, the people from the hostel still keep in touch with us and give us updates regularly.

The infrastructure:
The rooms and bathroom were always kept clean. One's privacy was always respected and the common living room one could enjoy people from around the world who always would share what they had done so far in Egypt, where they came from, how to behave with the locals (so that they do not cheat you); a sort of mini global village. The internet connection which was free helped us liaise with our country.

The position in Cairo:
You cannot dream of better place. Found in the heart of Cairo (city center), you are at a walking distance from the underground metro and so many places...even very close to the Egyptian Museum. Food can be found everywhere with KFC just round the corner and one of these Pastry shops with that superb perfume of freshly (hot) made pastries just next to the hostel.

The price:
The price might be an issue to some people. Let me explain: HOW THE HELL CAN YOU GET SUCH A NICE PLACE FOR SUCH A CHEAP PRICE!!!

Tours:
You cannot go to Egypt and not visit the great places throughout the country right?
We wanted to see everything and since we hadn't planned anything or took some kind or tour package from our country, we had to find some way to go everywhere.
The tour organisor of the hostel was just awesome (Mohamed Shawky). He sat with my cousin and I and helped us plan our journey through Egypt to see the best places in the limited time we had.
There always was someone to pick us up wherever we went to (by the wonderful sleeping train) and besides, the tour was so well planned that you could enjoy every single bit of it.
Our luggage was kept safe in the Hostel when we were on our 3-4 days' tour so that we could travel light.

It was my first time in Egypt and The Canadian Hostel as a whole really contributed to a great extent to this dream coming true and beyond expectations :D

If ever I had to go back to EGYPT (If Allah permits) the only place I would go to for accommodation would be THE CANADIAN HOSTEL and I so wanna go back there!!!

The Canadian Hostel: A home far from home

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nawaz-IMRIT
Mauritius
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I came across the canadian hostel as i was planning my trip to cairo. So i decided to book the hostel online as i was having a place to stay in the centre of Cairo. When reaching cairo, i was not disappointed at all. The people there was sooooo helpful and kind. They made me feel comfortable and at home. There was always someone to help me. I met different people from around the world there and it was always cool to talk and share with them. Also the hostel is very clean. Finally the hostel also organised my trip to Abu Simbel Temple through Aswan and Luxor. we had a sleeping train and there was always someone who was at the train stations to pick me and my cousin. it is now 14 months since i left egypt and i am still in touch with the people from the hostel. i will definitely go back there again...

Hope it helped you guys you are trying to find a place to stay so that your adventure in the land of pharaohs may start.

Sina

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Aarhus, Arhus, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was brought to the Canadian Hostel by an Egyptian friend. The place is very central, and the people running it are kind and helpful. The price is good, it is quiet, and clean. The best part though is the fact you meet so many people from all around the world, and it is easy to make friends!
Definitely a place I'd suggest to other fellow backpackers.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I came across this hostel through a friend in Cairo. I took the opportunity to visit the country shortly after the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak, a time not usually seen as auspicious for tourism. Fair disclosure: I was in the country as a working journalist.

Amid the slump in the tourism industry as a result of the internal conflict, Cairo had gotten a bad rap as a dangerous and lawless place. Even though the revolution was still at odds with the Military government, the dangers were overstated. At the beginning of March 2011, the city was attempting to regain some semblance of normalcy after the clashes which made headlines earlier in January. People were finally walking up and down Talaat Harb street shopping, socializing, and engaging in political discourse at public venues. Friday afternoons in Tahrir Square (20 metres away from the Hostel) were still attended by hundreds of thousands of people, an exciting happening to attend.

The Canadian Hostel was probably the best-located place to base myself throughout my time in Cairo. There are ample watering holes in and around, tamiyya, kebda and koshary places are around the corner, and the metro entrance at Sadat station is right across Talaat Harb. I was able to get accommodations for a reasonable price, and the room was clean, well-appointed and secure.

The best part of the Hostel are the people who work there. Every morning the breakfast and laundry were taken care of by a pair of older Cairene ladies who spoke no english, but were happy to let me practice speaking Arabic with them. As well, the staff (Meedo, Shawky, Abotaleb, Soliman and Ahmed) were well-informed, english-speaking, jovial and incredibly helpful in all aspects of my visit. Whether it was improving my Arabic, learning about different neighbourhoods in Cairo, or figuring out places expats and locals congregated at, the staff at the Canadian Hostel were able to give me a hand. I still count them all as friends whom I'll never forget and continue to stay in contact with.

The views from the balconies isn't much, as most of the windows look out into dusty courtyards surrounded by offices and apartments. With that said, there are only a couple of places to stay around the square at this price point, and the Canadian Hostel's young, vivacious staff are what really make this place stand out above the others.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms on the side of the front desk are similar: two beds, two nightstands. The other si...