All reviews samir fayek barrel bar antique furniture british officers agatha christie faded elegance egyptian museum tour guide unique hotel july street call to prayer metro stop breakfast room hotel owner first trip to egypt heart of downtown tahrir square
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We enjoyed our stay very much at the Windsor Hotel. It has a strong feeling of the old Near East. In the bar and restaurant there is a strong WW2 atmosphere and you can well imagine the young Australians and New Zealanders singing their Mathildas before going on to Alamein and Tobruk. Admittedly, the hotel is quite faded and the near surroundings are not particularly elegant. However the hotel is very well situated, with the Archeological Museum within walking distance and the shopping centre at hand. The rooms were clean, the breakfast excellent and the staff friendly. Prices were very favourable.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Thordur H
Reviewed 28 March 2018

I would recommend people to visit this hotel as a tourist treat in itself. I stayed here in the late 1980s and again in the 1990s it is simply wonderful, Egypt in a nutshell. It has a great location and reeks of nostalgia and oozes charm. The staff when I stayed here were great the bar was simply superb, I keep on expecting Wilfred Hyde White or Kenneth More to turn up in evening ware. Please folks do yourself a favour and stay here. I have not been to Egypt for 26 years but it is my stays in this hotel that are some of the highlights of my visits. I am hoping to visit in the near future and this will be my Cairo base,oh and I have worked the lift myself and it alone is worthy of a visit.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank splott b
Reviewed 26 March 2018

If you prefer the adventure of travel to the commodity of tourism, the Windsor is for you. Reeking of its fascinating history - embodied in the wonderful old lift that only the staff are allowed to operate - it has comfortable rooms (with hatstands!); the large but cosy Barrel Bar, where you can imagine that this is still a club for the British; a reasonably convenient location near a metro station; and generally helpful staff. But you would probably not want to stay for more than a night or two; because of the water that never got any hotter than lukewarm, however long we let it run; off-puttingly filthy net curtains; the unchanging and dull "continental" breakfast; and, just now, the works on the immediately adjoining metro extension (which carried on for much of the night during our stay). This last is not, of course, within the control of the hotel management, but you might want to check on the progress of the work before booking a room.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank WardenRon
Reviewed 13 March 2018

A very well run hotel; it's clean, safe and comfortable with friendly and helpful staff. It's also like being transported back to the 1940's - it someone from that time walked in I think the only difference they would notice is the air-conditioning. If you are after an experience like that in most international chains; don't come here. If you want to stay somewhere unique and have a really good introduction to Egypt; this is the place.

Room tip: The higher the better if street noise bothers you.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank PeteHala
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Samir said tell the world Cairo is safe I was told and I agree. I felt very safe in this ‘olde worlde’ hotel. The desk staff were very eager to help although directions were not easy to follow. The hotel has reserved its British colonial heritage and the barrel bar there is a must. However the plumbing is quaint and the power outlets look a bit dilapidated. The hotel is well situated and a good access point for Central Cairo. They arranged pick up at the airport and tours for us that we were really happy with.

The new challenges are that this area of Cairo seemed to be a constant construction site with only one hour of silence per 24 hour period and the challenge of getting anywhere by car with the downtown having many lines of traffic trying to fit into the width of the highway.

Date of stay: January 2018