“For the rough and rugged” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cairo Moon Hotel

Cairo Moon Hotel
Ranked #5 of 48 Cairo B&B and Inns
Colombo
“For the rough and rugged”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Was in Cairo in March and stayed one night in the hotel. Early following morning (after I booked online) I received a call from the hotel. Mohamed wanted to find out whether I needed to do any tours and a taxi. I explained all that is already taken care of. I stayed there only one night and felt it was a bit unfriendly in terms of the atmosphere. Well some of the reviews talk about views of the Tahrir square, but my room had none. It was opening up to the shopping streets below. So maybe you need to request for a room with good views.

Breakfast was really basic. Had buns, butter, cheese and a boiled egg and jam and one mandarin. My coffee came without an option of milk. It took a long while to get that replaced. Not sure whether they were out of stock with milk or something. So in terms of serving the meal the service was not great.

In the night it is difficult to find the place as the name sign is not facing the street. Got a bit lost returning in the night after an evening out.

The lift to the hotel is really exciting and ancient. Felt like a bit of an adventure.

It was really cold in the night. The walls are not insulated properly, so don't expect to get in the room and feel warm and cosy!

I asked for my phone to be charged and left it charging in the hall area. So, in that sense, it is homely and safe enough. A random person will not walk away with your belongings.

It is really for the rough and rugged.Really not sure whether it is great for families in my view, but it seems like lots of families somehow have enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DilSL
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

i stayed there for one night. The location was good, near SADAT metro and Tahrir Square. The room which i stayed was spacious, clean and tidy. Not to mention the attached bath, free Wifi and tv facilities. Best part was that the manger of this hotel himself arranged for us the Pyramid trip and a short Nile Dinner Cruise. Both were good and up to my satisfaction. The hotel service was also good. I would definitely recommend this to budget travaller.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank d_soumik
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed here on business for nearly a week. It must be said this is a budget hotel, at a cut-rate, so it isn't as polished as a chain or five-star. The breakfast was fair, but not lavish. The location was great, and the "lobby" or common space was nice to sit and chat with other guests or the staff. Mohammed and his staff, particularly Ibrahim, made me feel very welcome, and took care of anything I asked for. On short notice I needed a car arranged to take me to appointments all over Cairo, and it was arranged immediately for a good price. Cairo is an eclectic city, with pockets of extreme poverty. The Egyptian people I encountered were all fantastic, caring folks. And the staff of the Cairo Moon was no exception--they were honest and fair. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Cherrymountain
Hout Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

When it comes to budget hotels / guest houses, there is little to beat Cairo Moon.

This was our first stop on our trip to Egypt so naturally we were a little un-sure about a 'hotel' on the 8th floor of a block.

We arrived at around 5.30am and there was no-one to greet us. Bought a sim card at the airport and phoned the hotel - it turned out there had been a misunderstanding as they had expected us in the evening. Within (literally) 10 minutes of our call, the owner, Mohamed had arranged a taxi by phoning his contacts at the airport and we were on our way. (incidentally no charge for the taxi)

None of the budget hotels in Cairo look like anything from the outside and Cairo Moon is no exception. There are, however two old operational lifts that take you to the reception area. Once there you will be looked after by Mohamed and his friendly staff.

They gave us breakfast and a room for the morning as well as tea, coffee and water. We went out later and when we returned we opted for another room as the one we had been given had no outside window. No problem - next day we were given another room more to our liking.

Being a budget hotel, the facilities are basic, but we had satellite TV, en-suite shower (over a small sitting bath - water pressure very low) and fresh sheets every day (if we wanted). The room had a dressing table and two wardrobes (our large family of 4 was staying in the room).

More importantly, when we came down to the lounge and balcony, we were always offered tea or coffee and there was always someone on hand to help us with the intricacies of getting around Cairo. Mohamed owns a tour service but he does not force it on you. If you want something (for example we arranged a taxi to Giza, Saqqara and Mephis and an evening on a boat to see the belly dancing), he will arrange it for a competitive price (no need for incessant bargaining).

He is also a mine of information on what to do in the rest of Egypt and can arrange tours of any other areas if that's what you want.

The hotel is positioned within walking distance of the major markets, the museum (and the Nile) as well as one of the major underground stations (well worth using at 1LE (around US$0.17) to go anywhere on the line.

The room prices are excellent - even by Egypt prices - and tea, coffee or water is provided at any time of the day at no extra charge. Wifi is free as is the use of the hotel computer and even the extra breakfasts that we had on both times we visited were not in the final bill.

We we had booked at the Cairo Moon for 4 days and ended up staying 7. When we returned at the end of our stay, it felt as if we were coming home and we got a welcome to go with it.

Can I recommend it - no question. If you are on holiday or business and you're looking for a central location in Cairo, this is definitely the solution!

Room Tip: There are a couple of not-so good rooms but as we needed 4 beds, I think it was a little more diffic...