“Nice hotel, Helpful staff”
Review of Travelers House

Travelers House
Ranked #24 of 56 Cairo B&B and Inns
Sutton
“Nice hotel, Helpful staff”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I chose this hotel based on reviews on Trip Advisor and was quite pleased with my choice. The staff especially make this hotel stand out - always friendly and always willing to give advice. I work in the tourism industry so I appreciate this immensely. They gave me lots of solid information to help me decide what I should visit in Egypt and then helped me figure out how to do it. Now is a great time to visit Egypt - the weather was fantastic - warm days and cool nights.
My room had a great little balcony to watch the city below. Cairo is a fascinating place and a fun place to people watch, there is always so much happening. There was also a balcony in the common area where they serve breakfast, it was nice to eat breakfast while watching the city wake up.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank David W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I was looking around for budget accommodation while i was in Cairo for a few days and stumbled upon this place here on tripadvisor. After seeing photos and great reviews by the people here i decided to give them a try.

I was pleasantly surprised when i got there on the first day as the place was exactly what i see on the photos posted. Rooms,beds and toilets were clean and spacious with huge windows and high ceilings. Free internet and breakfast was a plus as well. I really also like the nicely decorated common area where travellers can meet and chat with one another to exchange experiences. The guys who work there, Mostafa, Dia and Adel the boss were extremely friendly and helpful. Makes your stay there definately feels like home. Despite the noisy street honking (cant blame the hostel for this) as the hostel is situated right in downtown Cairo, it is centrally located, just a few minutes away from the metro station as well as the museum and lots of places for you to shop and eat around the area.

The Travelers House is highly recommended if you are looking for a reasonable priced place to stay in downtown Cairo. Comfortable with awesome host, what more can you ask for? :-) Thanks Adel, Mostafa and Dia! Will definately look you pple up again when i come back to Cairo! - Mohammad, Singapore

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Mohammad_5hah
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Very friendly hotel., clean, with balconies overlooking the street and conveniently located at the downtown of Cairo . Slightly noisy at night due to eateries and shop downstairs Location walking distance to Museum, easy walk to Nile and short distance Ramses(Train) Station . The breakfast is good.and nice staff especially Adel. For traveller’s dont want to spend a lot of money for a room, then this is the right place for you,

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sumakwel
Palawan Island, Philippines
Reviewed 12 November 2011

The first time I was in Cairo, I didn’t get the feel of the city much, in fact it left a bit of a bitter taste on my mouth. But this trip (November 2011) --- I got it, caught it, tasted it, smelt it, touched it, felt it, and enjoyed it. Thanks in (big) part to Travelers House Hostel. We’ve intended staying for 3 nights and ended up 8 nights.

This isn’t your ordinary hostel I assure you. The guys running the place are simply the best hosts, probably in all of Cairo – friendliness without pretense. I’ve stayed at some of the really “top-rated” hostels and I would say this is the real deal. I’ve never felt instantly at home in most hostels until this one. Unlike some hostels or hotels in Cairo who are pseudo-over-friendly , the guys at THH are genuinely nice, no… the word ain’t just nice nor friendly --- it’s a concoction of those two glazed with real kindness, topped with care and sprinkled with passion to help travelers. If that sounds like the sweet local ice cream at EL ABD in front of the building where the hostel is --- that’s because they’re the sweetest deal. They don’t “treat guests as friends” (like most people say about most top-rated hostels), here, they treat guests as “guests” accorded with respect and all the perks like you would treat privileged guests at your own home – with pleasure and it comes with TLC plus the extra towels.

I’ve arrived at the CAI airport and the free pick-up was waiting for me right at the arrival exit. From the nice calm chap who picked me up named - “Ahmad” – I knew I made the right choice. Arriving at the building, there’s so much activities going on around the area, maybe because I arrived during the full week eid ul-adha celebration. The whole city is in a festive mood in fact.

Let’s start with the Location – perfect for us as it’s smack-bang right in the mid of downtown Cairo – at the corner of the busiest thoroughfare -- 26 July Street and Sherief Basha and adjacent to the busiest shopping-slash-happening street of Talaat Harb. Great location if you want to be in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city, unless you’re bothered by the constant jostles and never-ending “welcome to cairo” greetings by people on the streets and the incessant car honkings especially at night. Earplugs optional / necessary for some. Restaurants, shopping, stores, ice-cream and sweet shops, Nasser, Ataba and Sadat Metro stations are within walking distance ( Nasser is the nearest one), almost everything you need is walking distance from the hostel -- Egyptian Museum, the famous Tahrir Square, Nile river promenade, taxis are aplenty and cheap, do I need to elaborate further? I think you get the picture already.

The Building. It’s one of those neo-classical structures that line up the busy downtown streets. It’s an old building with an equally classic lift/elevator (and it’s functional) that has double-swing-wooden doors and an outer steel gate that made me instantly visualize the glamorous personalities who’ve stepped in and out of it during its heyday – probably in the 60-70s? Stairs are available just in case.

The Hostel. Like most other hostels, Travelers House occupies one side or corner of one floor – 4th floor. We’ve stayed long enough so I memorized how many rooms they have as we’ve occupied 3 of them. Six guest rooms in total – single/double with bathroom and with shared bathrooms, a triple with bathroom and I think one family room which was occupied the whole time so I didn’t see the inside. Some of the rooms have its own balcony where you can hangout watching the busy street below or hang your laundry. While some have window overlooking the same busy streets. The reception is pleasant, beside the common room where you can sit and mingle with other guests or watch a match on the big flat panel TV, or surf the internet for free, or just have a cup of tea while sitting on the balcony while watching and listening to the chaos below. They are having general cleaning of the whole place maybe twice a week as the place smelt like antiseptic on our arrival and on 4th day.

The Rooms. Very basic – clean double-sized beds, bedside table, ceiling light and an electrical mosquito repellant – as simple as that. Some of the rooms are really spacious. And unlike other places, this one ain’t dusty. The wood parquet flooring is shiny and the whole basic room ambience is neat. In fact when I was shown inside my room I immediately felt that good vibe which normally happen to me either on the second day or after in most cases. The internal bathroom is not the same as other places. They did constructed the bathroom inside the room but it’s a solid one with closed roof/ceiling, not the usual glazed aluminum paneling and open top which are customary among other hostels in Cairo. This one ain’t that, it’s closed top and sides, although small yet it’s clean and comes with a roll of toilet tissue, hot and cold shower and free towels (other places I’ve stayed at have no towels, or charge you extra). The shared bathroom at the end of the corridor and the one at the back of the reception are big and clean.

The Breakfast. Starts at 8:30am and we took it maybe 3 or 4 times as we were out so early at half of the time. Served at the common room or breakfast with a view at the balcony. Simple fare – but at least they have fried egg - bread with jam, butter, cheese and coffee or tea.
The Staff. This is the real draw of this place and where I should put more emphasis on this review. Authentic, genuine, sincere, unquestionable affection bordering kindness to guests. This is what I felt with the three guys including 2 misses serving the breakfasts every morning. They’re professional well-educated people who speaks the English language very well so communication problem is minimized to NIL. They’re not the externally-superficial-slash-touristically-oriented friendliness. Just enough amount of friendliness and more of gentleness and unspoken hospitality and warm welcome that you’ll feel right at your own home (maybe less of the material comfort that you personally own). The staff don’t bother you with excessive display of friendliness, just walk in and out and around just as you would in your own house. When I told them that I don’t really need to book any tours, it was ok nothing has changed. No pressure at all, but if you need tours and private transfers around Cairo, they have courteous drivers and very affordable/reasonable tour packages. Airport pick-up/drop-off for instance costs only about US$10 per way which is the on-going rate for street taxis minus the imminent hassles. Guests treatment is fair and equal in this place, and here’s what I mean by that –

I’ve observed this in some places in Egypt I’ve stayed at, staff plays what I call the “inequity game”, with more attention and favour to either or both of two things - western guests, the ones with the seemingly fat wallets and will probably book tours with the hostel - OR - gender based in favor of female guests. Travelers House in my opinion and observation treats guests equally with the same amount of attention and affection to each and every one. I don’t know if I came at the right time or the right season but I hope they’re really like this all the time.

I’d like to thank in particular the very gentle, caring and the level-headed ADIL who’s so approachable and who always face you with a smile even when sometimes he looked like he had just gotten out of bed. DIA (I’m sorry I did not asked you for the correct spelling) who checked me in and out on my last day. MUSTAFA who fried the egg on my first breakfast. And did I mention the very subdued AHMED already? Who pick me up and drop me off the airport safely.

The staff made an excellent job on the place. I would be left with no room availability in the future if I keep on recommending places like this one (don’t blame me, it happened to me in Istanbul), but I don’t really want to be greedy not sharing my wonderful experience with others. I was just so happy --- no --- ecstatic would be more appropriate that I’ve found this place that contributed to a pleasant stay, and illumed the once dull picture of Cairo on my mind. Now, Cairo's one of my favorite destination quite honestly.

5-star plus 1 --- for kind staff.

Room Tip: Any room facing the streets -- that is, if you can't be bothered by the street noise at night, o...