“Unmatched Hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #51 of 126 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Atlanta, Georgia
“Unmatched Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I have travelled through many countries and I can honestly confess that none of these match the experience I had with Easy Travel Egypt's crew and Museum View Hotel. Unlike other travel agencies and hotels that try to suck your money by quoting elevated prices for tours, the staff of Museum View Hotel and Easy Travel Egypt were quite the contrary. Our budget for this trip lasted twice as much longer as we had expected it to. At first we we had booked our room and tours with Juliana Hotel (also in Cairo) but they hadn't shown up to even pick us up from the airport, despite confirmation that they would. When we called Hany at Juliana Hotel was very rude and said that he didn't have us on his reservation list. We were baffled and quickly googled for an alternative. Glad we did this, because we were graciously welcomed and treated by Rami and Ahmed (the prince) who manage Museum View and Easy Travel Egypt. Their treatment of us, made up for our poor experience with Juliana Hotel. Highly recommend to anyone who wants to be in downtown Cairo close to everything in town! Thanks Ahmed and Rami for taking care of my family and me.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with a view of the museum...highly recommend it!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Keren M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Istanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I've been traveling all around Egypt, staying in hostels at Luxor, Aswan and Dahab, definitely Museum View Hostel in Cairo by far the best one! Friendly staff, clean rooms and bathrooms, accurate tourist information and a very good-central location opposite of the Egyptian Museum

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Changria
Ramallah, Palestinian Territories
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

a taxi driver took me from cairo airport to a Museum view hotel Until I find another place after knowing Cairo well but after I saw that I could not leave the place because the service is very good and staff nice and cooperative .. The rooms are always clean .. So .. I decided to wait all that time in that hotel and I am now outside of Cairo, and I do not regret at all after i stayed 45 days in Cairo on Museum View Hotel

Mazen Sharif

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

The staff made my trip. In a city where every local is seemingly trying to squeeze every last penny out of you, the museum view hotel was a breath of fresh air. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel L
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

I'd give this hostel a mixed review.

The staff is friendly and helpful. The young men on staff are learning English, with varying degrees of success. They all know enough to get by, and they're eager to please.

The location is ultra-convenient for access to the Egyptian Museum, Tahrir Square, the Metro, and so on. You'll never got lost, and no one will have a problem finding you. The place is secure and safe. The rooms are all nonsmoking.

The hot water works, as do the fan and the air conditioning. Not all the rooms have a.c. So if you want a.c. (which I'm happy without), be sure to ask for a room that has it. The free wifi in the rooms generally works fine, though sometimes it's weak and cuts out. (The further you are from the lobby, the weaker the signal.)

Thank you to the fellow traveler who recommended Room 504, the corner room. I'd recommend it too. I found the room reasonably spacious, with high ceilings and full balcony doors on two sides. The room is equipped with bed, two night tables, desk, seat, wardrobe, all fine. Once I got across to Mohammed what a "hanger" is, he quickly provided several.

The bathroom en suite is a "wet room," including shower, sink, and toilet, enclosed by walls extending only 3/4 the height of the room. This seems a common arrangement in Cairo at this price bracket. That's all right. But as another fellow traveler commented, somehow the floor isn't properly angled (at least in the bathroom for 504) so the water tends to collect on the floor and not drain. That makes your bathroom floor get pretty sloshy.

The staff generously let me use their kitchen, which was spacious and surprisingly clean.

I'm sure the staff would have arranged for tours if that's what I'd wanted. I didn't, and the staff weren't pushy about it.

I never eat hotel food, so I can't comment on the breakfast. Mohammed directed me to an excellent little store three minutes away that sells a variety of fresh fruits. The fresh dates were great. Yusef, the store's proprietor, lived for five years in New York.

The hostel lobby is a small affair, no larger than it needs to be. Expect the staff to fill it with cigarette smoke, which if you leave your corridor door open may likely waft in your direction.

Cleanliness isn't provided here automatically. The floor, the wardrobe shelves, and the table surfaces came with thick surfaces of dirt, which the staff cheerfully cleaned upon request.

The downside of the location is that the building is on the corner of two streets, one busy and the other a six-lane thoroughfare. All the rooms face one or the other. The corner room faces both. If you are easily disturbed by traffic, bring your earplugs or book a room elsewhere.

As of September 2011, major construction is going on across the street on both sides. The construction on the Museum side is far enough way so I usually didn't hear it over the traffic. The corner room was the farthest away from the other construction, which therefore didn't bother me either.

The lift doesn't stop at the 2nd floor. You can take the lift to the 3rd floor and walk down.

In general: As with many hostels, here someone has taken part of a floor of an office building and turned it into a low-budget staying place. The Museum View provides a reasonably good deal for a room in this price bracket. I've seen better, but I've also seen far worse.

For my departure, the staff arranged a good taxi at a decent price. When I left behind a small bag in the taxi at the airport, Mohammed and the driver went all out to make sure it got back to me. For that, a million thanks!

Room Tip: The corner room-- 504 -- gives you balconies on both sides. One side faces the Museum. The room has...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo